Lt. Commander
# 1 Enterprise F in ESD
07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
When we first got the new ESD with the shipyard area, the idea was that the ships inside would change from time to time, so it wouldn't always be the Galaxy. Again later, it was hinted that we could see the new Enterprise in there, perhaps as design previews (even though that would be hard since 3d modelers don't build ships in the same way you would construct one)

Well, she's finished now, but there is still a need for a new ship in ESD. There is ALSO a good reason to give CapnLogan time to do a large, high-detail model of the Odyssey to put in there:

To truely "own" this new Enterprise and have it realized as a complete starship design, it needs to be fleshed out and have all of the little derails added. Now the ingame model is nicely detailed, but a ship on that scale with the limited poly counts and textures can never pass muster as a real "reference" for a Star Trek ship in todays age of high-rez models that even fans are turning out.

Please give Logan some time to sit down and make a reference model for this new ship - it will be quite well received within the Trek community as a whole, since so many ship geeks crave the finer details of a ship.

I'm sure there is going to be a good amount of fan art of the ship appearing in the coming months, and it can only benefit from a proper reference to create them by.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I'd rather see them fix and bring back the ones that fly around outside the windows in ESD first.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Agreed with the OP, ships should change in spacedock, and what better way to showcase some of the newer ships then having them in there.

Quote:
I'd rather see them fix and bring back the ones that fly around outside the windows in ESD first.
I'd forgotten all about those ships. What happened to them? Never heard a reason behind their being removed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenaut
Agreed with the OP, ships should change in spacedock, and what better way to showcase some of the newer ships then having them in there.

I'd forgotten all about those ships. What happened to them? Never heard a reason behind their being removed.
I heard there was some kind of bug don't ask me what kind though, for me they just vanished out of the blue and with no reason :/
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
How about this:

Seeing YOUR ship in space dock (and only yours). Similar to how in Eve you see your ship floating there.

Everyone else sees their own ship (they don't see yours).
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helldiver View Post
How about this:

Seeing YOUR ship in space dock (and only yours). Similar to how in Eve you see your ship floating there.

Everyone else sees their own ship (they don't see yours).
Not likely, there's a huge technical hurdle. There has to be a large sized high detail model for it to appear in the shipyard, which means if they wanted to show the customized ships in there, then every combination and every effect (like the borg parts and the aegis stuff) would have to be modeled in high detail. Not only does this more than double the amount of storage for ship art assets, but many of those effects won't look good in high detail settings.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
When we first got the new ESD with the shipyard area, the idea was that the ships inside would change from time to time, so it wouldn't always be the Galaxy.
Be really keen if they set it up so whatever ship you have set as current would show up in there. (just for you, other players would see their own ship of course).
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I understood we won't see the Enterprise-F herself until the DS9 themed Featured Episode. A dramatic arrival due to a crisis, maybe?

However, I wouldn't object to viewing the USS Odyssey for a christening of the class itself at ESD. Obviously, for it to be rendered as nicely enough for such a display, it would take up more space than the Galaxy-class displayed there currently. It would have to be set further away from the windows to be effective. But I don't doubt it could be done.