Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
So, I just watched the latest episode of stoked, and there are some, shall we say, interesting topics of conversation covered, that I want to raise here, for your discussion.

Firstly, if you don't watched STOked, you should it's a great show. Moving on...

1: New klingon flagship. Yes, apparently it is now official. The klinks will be getting a new toy to "rival" the Enterprise F. There is a discussion thread going on here, regarding what it may be. I think it is worth the input of some of our seasoned vets.

2: New low level science ship. I believe tier 2. Of no real consequence to most of us, however, it comes with a special console. Said console, apparently, grants a skill "photonic displacement" (may not be an accurate name) that summons a decoy ship and cloaks you from other vessels, and auto re-targets your foes to the decoy. And here is the best/worst thing...you can move the console to any other science ship, again; apparently.

3: Ground and space skill points are being split.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Response:
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Quickest one first.

3: Yay! About time! Make it so!

1: See above. Just please, please, don't make it another carrier. A massive battlecruiser/dreadnought sounds just fine.

2: Well, this one, is the real reason I posted, but feel free to talk at length about the others. This console, sounds.....scary? I guess that is the right word. The only thing I can think of is putting this on my eng/intrepid and lolling my way around matches. Obviously we have no details on cooldown times, shared cooldowns, effectiveness of the cloak etc, but on paper, it sounds, really, really...ill conceived? I appreciate the fact that cryptic want to allow you to keep hold of your toy and take it with you as you level, and in principle, I agree, but this power sounds kind of like a straw to many for the camel to bear. I say this, while at the same time I itch with excitement to use it. I am indeed, conflicted.

Really, I would like it if this was what photonic "fleet" did instead, as it sounds like a lovely skill to have. Almost too lovely to not get.

Smells like cookies around here....
Lt. Commander
With all the new special consoles floating around, with more no doubt to come, can I haz moar slots plz?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-02-2011, 11:09 AM
high five man, sorry i didn't see this post i would've just posted in your post so people who love posts can see posts within posts

But seriously, yeah... I'm gonna love my new cloaking decoy'ing intrepid soon. Might as well cheese it up before SWTOR
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
high five man, sorry i didn't see this post i would've just posted in your post so people who love posts can see posts within posts

But seriously, yeah... I'm gonna love my new cloaking decoy'ing intrepid soon. Might as well cheese it up before SWTOR
Actually you posted like 4 mins before me I had it on screen for ages too, just watched the rest of the episode before I posted. Doh! Now my thread dies

Nice meme reference btw lol

STWOR? You like rails shooters? Hahahahahah hahaha hahah ha ha hah *chokes a litte* aaaahhh... rails....
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
STWOR? You like rails shooters? Hahahahahah hahaha hahah ha ha hah *chokes a litte* aaaahhh... rails....
All about the smuggler. First game I will be playing that will allow me to kick ppl in the harpeng. It will be worth at least the 1st month of sub and game price if i can knee ppl in pvp. (yes, cryptic made me this bitter)
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, maybe the ground content will be fun, but I don't play STO for ground (lol, ground), so STWOR won't be a competitor for my space pew fix.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Space is the only thing this game's got going for me, and I have great fun pvp'ing as feddie and kling with my respective fleets. I'm just keeping options open. Moves like this on cryptic's part say tons about how they approach pvp balance...
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-02-2011, 01:30 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Welll.... I think I see what they're going for. I mean, what use is a decoy that you can just ignore at will? Any player with eyes will understand what happened and could spot which ship is the decoy and simply reacquire their target.

I like that it has a kind of an Electronic Warfare feel to it.

But balance wise, I hope they tread lightly. This has potential to be as worrisome in PvP as the Karfi Phase Shift ability... but that will be tied to the Karfi exclusively, I think.

I think the balance could be manageable.

1. The cloak should be as breakable or counterable as any other cloak.
2. Tractor beam should still effectively prevent cloaking AND keep target lock.
3. Short duration for either the cloak, the decoy, or both. DEFINITELY a time limit for cloak duration.
4. Long cooldown
5. Same drawbacks as any other cloak -- no shield power, no weapons fire while cloaked, nothing but self-focused abilities like heals and buffs.
6. Possibly even an enforced cloak duration; you can't decloak at will, only when it expires.
7. Shared global cooldown with all other Photonic powers... No popping Photonic Fleet, then immediately getting out of dodge with a Photonic Decoy.

Would those restrictions be severe enough to satisfy most people?