Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
08-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Splitting up Ground and Space skill points is a big plus in my book, so long as are current total pool of skill points isn't being reduced; but I don't see the sense in reducing our current pool, so I don't think they'll do that. I've been hoping they'd give us dual-spec functionality for this very reason, but this way works too.

The new console sounds fairly potent. I'm guessing it'll be a C-store item though. Why are they charging us monthly again? Lol. Sounds interesting on paper, but quite possibly problematic in practice--I could easily see this being quite buggy in some ways, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Good to hear that the Klingons are getting a new ship as well.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Thats just it this would be fine if it was tied to the ship... but then lets face it no one would buy it. 99% of the sales of this ship will be people buying the consul not the ship.

For your points;
1) it should be more like a MES not a cloak... fed sci ships still don't have cloak they get mess... and it should be like a mes 1 or 2 tops.
2) A ship using the mvam unit breaks tractor beams... thats Cryptics record on that.
3) Honestly I don't care if they want to stay cloaked as long as they have all the trade offs cloaked / mesed ships have and it doesn't the ability to fire off abilities. Hide if you wish you can't win that way.
4) yes it should have a long cooldown, but I doubt Cryptic will disapoint paying customers.
5) Honesty it should have the same draw backs as all cloaks... that includes most self heals they don't work while cloaked.
6) Again they won't disapoint paying customers.... man I can see people firing this off for no reason at the start of a match... and running a evasive Tachyon CPB/PSW tric run out of cloak in there intrepid..... it will be complete BS
7) Ya I can agree with you on that... again crypic is unlikely to do that... so look forward to just that in a a few days I guess.
It's actually a lot more like how I would prefer MES to work. Might actually make it a decent skill.

I actually think it is fair to allow it to break the tractor in this case. Sort of defeats the point if your foe still knows where you are.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemotherapy
Splitting up Ground and Space skill points is a big plus in my book, so long as are current total pool of skill points isn't being reduced; but I don't see the sense in reducing our current pool, so I don't think they'll do that. I've been hoping they'd give us dual-spec functionality for this very reason, but this way works too.
Indeed. I guess it was a presumption but I just assumed they would be giving us more points to spend on lolground. It would be mightly slap in the face if they forced us all to respec.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
Indeed. I guess it was a presumption but I just assumed they would be giving us more points to spend on lolground. It would be mightly slap in the face if they forced us all to respec.
It's a valid concern, but it wouldn't really make sense for them to do that; as that'd essentially be forcing us to spend ground points as opposed to space points. But we can already invest in ground skills now if we wanted to. Many of us don't not because we don't want ground skills, but because we don't have enough points to fill out our space builds AND invest in ground skills.

So, to me, it stands to reason that they recognize this issue, and want to address it to allow for more investment into ground skills, and then perhaps as a result more participation in ground content.

At least, I hope that's the way they see it. Lol... I'll be fairly ****ed if my space build becomes more limited than it is now. Sciscort is expensive D:
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Quote:
2: New low level science ship. I believe tier 2. Of no real consequence to most of us, however, it comes with a special console. Said console, apparently, grants a skill "photonic displacement" (may not be an accurate name) that summons a decoy ship and cloaks you from other vessels, and auto re-targets your foes to the decoy. And here is the best/worst thing...you can move the console to any other science ship, again; apparently.
Better be available by emblems / some other in game currency in addition to C-Store - No balance changing item should be C-Store only in a P2P game.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
It's actually a lot more like how I would prefer MES to work. Might actually make it a decent skill.

I actually think it is fair to allow it to break the tractor in this case. Sort of defeats the point if your foe still knows where you are.
No, what MES seems to refer to in canon are examples where ship alter their warp signature. Either to not be noticed at all (but I can't think of canon references where that happens), but actually more where your ship looks like another ship. Which is not like a decoy, but more like the Holo-Emitters coupled with a ship-specific scramble effect. E.g. a Galaxy Class ship suddenly appears a KDF vessel with a friendly IFF.

Photonic Fleet originally seemed to make more sense to me as a decoy ability. But I recently actually saw the scene in Voyager on youtube where they create a "photonic fleet", and aside from the photonics not inflicting damage, the effect seems to fit.

A creation of a decoy and turning the ship invisible is not like anything we've seen.

And certainly not on a Nova. I think the more canon-appropriate special ability would have been a shield-recovery ability. Apparantly the Equinox was able to turn off its shield momentarily to recover it fully after 30 seconds or so. (30 seconds is a little too long in PvP, but the basic idea might be interesting.)

---

There seem to be two aspects where this power might still resemble some balance.
1) It must share cooldowns with bridge officer powers. Sharing a system cooldown with Photonic Shockwave would be good for example.

2) It can under no circumstances be usuable on the LRSV-R. If it was, the ship would have two invulnerability powers.

(In case any reader doesn't see the problem. The more temporary invulnerability powers you can stack,t he more likely it is you are permanently invulnerable)
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
No, what MES seems to refer to in canon are examples where ship alter their warp signature. Either to not be noticed at all (but I can't think of canon references where that happens), but actually more where your ship looks like another ship. Which is not like a decoy, but more like the Holo-Emitters coupled with a ship-specific scramble effect. E.g. a Galaxy Class ship suddenly appears a KDF vessel with a friendly IFF.

Photonic Fleet originally seemed to make more sense to me as a decoy ability. But I recently actually saw the scene in Voyager on youtube where they create a "photonic fleet", and aside from the photonics not inflicting damage, the effect seems to fit.

A creation of a decoy and turning the ship invisible is not like anything we've seen.

And certainly not on a Nova. I think the more canon-appropriate special ability would have been a shield-recovery ability. Apparantly the Equinox was able to turn off its shield momentarily to recover it fully after 30 seconds or so. (30 seconds is a little too long in PvP, but the basic idea might be interesting.)

---

There seem to be two aspects where this power might still resemble some balance.
1) It must share cooldowns with bridge officer powers. Sharing a system cooldown with Photonic Shockwave would be good for example.

2) It can under no circumstances be usuable on the LRSV-R. If it was, the ship would have two invulnerability powers.

(In case any reader doesn't see the problem. The more temporary invulnerability powers you can stack,t he more likely it is you are permanently invulnerable)
That Nova ability you suggest would be interesting. Especially if your shields are already gone, and you turn them off anyways. Orrr... *gasp!* if you activate Ablative and that at the same time :p

If the Intrepid can get this console, and it's not a Sci console, Intrepids just won the game.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
hmm interesting changes. THanks for posting those. I will go listen to that podcast.

The skill points? yeah i figured a set number for both skills would come into play eventually. Looks like its sooner then later.

That console? yeah that is worrysome... Well lets give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they dont rush it and let us tinker with it to see if its balanced out or not.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post

---

I understand what they intended with MES, I am simply saying it is a bit rubbish, and that having this skill instead, would be far better. I have also stated I would be happy if this skill replaced photonic "fleet" with a photonic ship equal in stats to your own.

As for use on the Int-R, considering it is the most widely used Sci ship, somehow I fear it shall make an appearance
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Splitting ground and space skills may happen when the level cap is raised. The console sounds like a bad idea to me, and I fly SV.