There's still people who will play PvP, but it's fewer and fewer. It's been dieing a slow death imo. Basically, they've been too quick to introduce new items, too slow to balance them after release, and they've given the Feds a lot (including a KDF weapon) with next to nothing for KDF (speaking about items/ships not getting into PvE). There's some PvE you'll want to do for the item rewards.
There's been talk about adding more funtionality for PvP, but nothing of substance has been introduced.
Though you don't PvE there's a few highlights since you last played:
1. Featured episode series (w/some nice item rewards).
2. Space set items from STF, Crafting, and a Featured Episode (the Breen).
3. A few KDF missions added (a nice Bat'leth as reward, though melee kinda sucks now compared to range).
4. If you have a Fed they've redone some existing missions (one of which the reward is 'Peng torpedos which are OP atm).
5. There's shuttle missions on Fed side which let you craft a delta flyer shuttle if you want to try out some shuttle PvP.
Lastly, I'm not certain of the spelling, but there's a PvP channel (OpenPvP I think).