Lt. Commander
For one (and only one!) of my characters, if I have a target selected and activate an ability (BOFF or captain) the target is reset. In other words, I can be shooting at one ship, go to activate an ability to improve my chances of destroying the enemy vessel, but lose the target. Essentially, I need to remember which ship I had been firing on.

Anyway, people tell me to use Science Team. This doesn't help. It happens when my ship has no debuffs on it.

This only happens with one of my characters so it doesn't seem like it's a problem with my settings (I've also gone through the settings and haven't seen anything relevant).

Help?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I had the same issue as you do, after Cryptic applied an update to the HUD.

One way to tell if you are having the same issue is to see if you have two rows of Boff skill icons. When you click an icon on the upper row, the HUD thinks that you are clicking on empty space, and then resets your target.

I resolved my problem by reseting the HUD. Go to rearrange HUD, and reset it with something like "Ctrl + Shift + Esc."

By any luck, if you are having the exact same problem as mine, that should do it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2011, 11:15 PM
There is an option in the options menu that is called something like "Click unselects" or something like that. With the recent UI change, something creeped in that triggered this not only when you click on empty space, but also on the Bridge Officer tray. Deactivating this setting might help, until the issue is resolved by Cryptic.

PhaseCloakers tip might also work, haven't tried that before.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Hm, I have the exact same problem.
But I don't klick by BOFFs' abilities, I do alt+<number> and get this behavior all the same...
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Hm, I have the exact same problem.
But I don't klick by BOFFs' abilities, I do alt+<number> and get this behavior all the same...
That's weird indeed. Maybe the whole process simulates a mouse-click? (Not how I'd do it... but who knows.) Or it's a seperate problem. Or there is a different cause for the problem than we thought.

Bug report whatever you experience. I think there was a thread somewhere in the bug reports section? Or was it only the PvP section? Hmm.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
That's weird indeed. Maybe the whole process simulates a mouse-click? (Not how I'd do it... but who knows.) Or it's a seperate problem. Or there is a different cause for the problem than we thought.

Bug report whatever you experience. I think there was a thread somewhere in the bug reports section? Or was it only the PvP section? Hmm.
This issue has been in the game forever, especially in the ground combat. I cannot count the number of times I have attempted to use a skill or item via a hot key and...

- had my target changed and/or canceled
- had the skill / item not activate
- had the skill / item be unusable until I clicked it with a mouse
- had the skill / item be unusable until I alt-tab'd out and back into the game (this one not so much anymore)

Point is, issue has been around forever, has multiple outcomes, and has been made more prevalent with recent Season 4 changes to the Power and Boff Trays.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
How old is the character? Old characters suffer problems that were fixed, but stays with them for some reason. For example, my original char from launch can not enable Autofire at all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
This just started happening to me in space.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Are your BOFF's stacked in 2 rows?

If so edit your UI and adjust that part of the UI and make it a single row and problem will be solved.

At least it was for me.