Lt. Commander
# 51
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
In fact, the "episode canon" for the Nova and Akira support those ships at the final tier very much since the Nova was seen in future scenes in Enterprise, and the Akira fought borg ships in First Contact.
Weren't there also a few Akiras in the Dominion War?
Lt. Commander
# 52
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
Weren't there also a few Akiras in the Dominion War?
Oh yeah! duh, sorry I forgot that.

A T5 Akira is an extremely popular suggestion. And that one really doesn't have too many canon-specific reasons for why it can't happen.

I mean, (to borrow a phrase from this thread's title) ... as a general rule I myself tend to not really give a lot of weight to the whole canon aspect of these dated ships. Primarily because the Excelsior seems to not follow that rule very well and because the game is set in the future of the timeline and offers up a plot point of modular ship design to get around that argument in the first place.

BUT ...

The Akira? It's shown to be a top of the line ship that can scuffle and fight with Borg ships and Dominion ships and really ... T5? Totally within what that ship did in the shows and films.
Lt. Commander
# 53
08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
The answer is highly unlikely, until we change their minds. We change their minds by continuing to offer feedback on the topic.
Speak for yourself, I think it's a stupid idea. The game has minimal IP integrity as it is, allowing a TOS era ship to compete on par with TNG+ ship degrades the IP further.

This is clearly a CBS decision and it's unlikely to change, full stop. All rights holders have quirks they insist on when dealing with an IP - you can't cover Mickey Mouse's face with a price point for instance. Deal with it and let the development team concentrate on stuff that isn't going to annoy half the player base.
Lt. Commander
# 54
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Speak for yourself, I think it's a stupid idea. The game has minimal IP integrity as it is, allowing a TOS era ship to compete on par with TNG+ ship degrades the IP further.

This is clearly a CBS decision and it's unlikely to change, full stop. All rights holders have quirks they insist on when dealing with an IP - you can't cover Mickey Mouse's face with a price point for instance. Deal with it and let the development team concentrate on stuff that isn't going to annoy half the player base.
Yeah, well, from day 1 of playing STO, I always wondered how in the heck an excelsior class could be tier 5. You think putting an excelsior class in tier 5 is anymore reasonable than putting a Connie or NX-01 there? At best, the Excelsior is a tier 3 or tier 4 cruiser. There's no way is should even be close to a galaxy class, period.
Lt. Commander
# 55
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Quote:
In fact, the "episode canon" for the Nova and Akira support those ships at the final tier very much since the Nova was seen in future scenes in Enterprise, and the Akira fought borg ships in First Contact.
Since when did future or fighting borg = uber ship?

The thing you and people like you don't seem to understand that in major battles in canon ships of all grades are called upon to fight when needed.
From the tiny little Oberth class to the most powerful ship in the fleet.

I mean seriously, trying to argue that all ships be T5 is like saying that foot soldiers are obsolete in warfare and all you need is aircraft only.

T5 is the tier for the most powerful ships in the game, and thus it should consist of proven powerful warships only like the Sovereign, Galaxy, Defiant, with an Excelsior "barely".
Connies, Nova's and Oberths and even NX'es have no buisness pretending they are big bad battleships when they clearly are not.
Lt. Commander
# 56
08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Yeah, well, from day 1 of playing STO, I always wondered how in the heck an excelsior class could be tier 5. You think putting an excelsior class in tier 5 is anymore reasonable than putting a Connie or NX-01 there? At best, the Excelsior is a tier 3 or tier 4 cruiser. There's no way is should even be close to a galaxy class, period.
The Excelsiors form and internal volume is not far off from that of the Sovereign, so its a helluva lot more logical for T5 than a Connie or NX, both which are dwarfed by comparison.
In fact the NX was completely written off before the Constitution was even concieved of.
Lt. Commander
# 57
08-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
The Excelsiors form and internal volume is not far off from that of the Sovereign, so its a helluva lot more logical for T5 than a Connie or NX, both which are dwarfed by comparison.
In fact the NX was completely written off before the Constitution was even concieved of.
Form and internal volume doesn't = the same hull and shield strength, not by a long shot.
Lt. Commander
# 58
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Form and internal volume doesn't = the same hull and shield strength, not by a long shot.
And i don't think i even said it did, so please don't put words in my mouth.
Lt. Commander
# 59
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
And i don't think i even said it did, so please don't put words in my mouth.
Your putting words in my mind ;P. It seemed the implication was that you meant that their shields and hull strength were the same. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
Lt. Commander
# 60
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Your putting words in my mind ;P. It seemed the implication was that you meant that their shields and hull strength were the same. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
I implied that they would be slightly comparable.
Because size and dimensions do matter quite a bit in what you can squeeze inside the ship.

Funny thing is, the T5 Excelsior is an enigma.
It definitely should have nowhere near the firepower and hull strenght of an Sovereign class... but, its also been proven to be equal to a Defiant when refitted.
Closed Thread