Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFLordKrueg View Post
I'll bet Gene Roddenberry rolls in his grave when he reads this...
Kind of one sided thinking of you, sir.
Star Trek has global, indeed, universal appeal.
Not Star Trek. This game. This is a product geared toward English speakers. Though they had a staff and attempted to translate the game into a couple of other languages (French and German, possibly others) all progress on that front seems to have stopped and is unlikely to start up again anytime soon.

You can bluntly see this through the fact that they've closed the non-English sub-forums once present here.

This product is geared toward the English market. That's just a statement of fact.

Quote:
And, as the OP has stated, he does speak English, just not the way you do.
Actually no, he signs.

I'm going to guess that his writing skills primarily run towards Sutton SignWriting, explaining his difficulty with using written English, which wouldn't differ for someone whether they be hearing, deaf, a speaker or a signer.

Sutton SignWriting isn't supported by most keyboards or word processors, much less this game. So were he skilled enough to write dialogue in it for the game such a skill still wouldn't translate into something that could be used within the tools presented. So he still wouldn't be able to craft adequate dialogue text for the masses using the tools given, thus he couldn't hardly be hired by Cryptic to perform such a function.

Quote:
IMOHPO, you owe someone an apology for your borderline racist remarks.
Actually... you owe me an apology for suggesting as much.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Anyone who's qualified can apply--being qualified and creating good foundry missions aren't necessarily the same thing but they don't preclude one another either.
that's true
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Not Star Trek. This game. This is a product geared toward English speakers. Though they had a staff and attempted to translate the game into a couple of other languages (French and German, possibly others) all progress on that front seems to have stopped and is unlikely to start up again anytime soon.

You can bluntly see this through the fact that they've closed the non-English sub-forums once present here.

This product is geared toward the English market. That's just a statement of fact.

Actually no, he signs.

I'm going to guess that his writing skills primarily run towards Sutton SignWriting, explaining his difficulty with using written English, which wouldn't differ for someone whether they be a hearing, deaf, a speaker or a signer.

Sutton SignWriting isn't supported by most keyboards or word processors, much less this game. So were he skilled enough to write dialogue in it for the game such a skill still wouldn't translate into something that could be used within the tools presented. So he still wouldn't be able to craft adequate dialogue text for the masses using the tools given, thus he couldn't hardly be hired by Cryptic to perform such a function.

Actually... you owe me an apology for suggesting as much.

i don't use Sutton SignWriting or whatever it's called. i never heard of it.

and second, you sound like deaf racist which is new term for someone that hates deaf people.

third, i edit my missions in accordance with reviewers's wishes.

i wonder why are you being like that way then...
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
id be happy if either the 50xp the foundry gives would scale up per level to say 100 or 200 points, or if they gave certain well received missions got boosts.

50 is fine at low levels but when you start hitting the high ranks its just too little. killing two battleships will net you that amount.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Letís keep it civil here please.

And to answer the original question, weíre open to hiring anyone with talent. We have worked with and do still currently employ people from our communities.

With regards to officially adopting quality Foundry content, thatís possible, too. Really depends on the author, us, our licensors, etc. Not outside the realm of possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Letís keep it civil here please.

And to answer the original question, weíre open to hiring anyone with talent. We have worked with and do still currently employ people from our communities.

With regards to officially adopting quality Foundry content, thatís possible, too. Really depends on the author, us, our licensors, etc. Not outside the realm of possibility.
wait, Q, are you saying it's possbile for Foundry Content too?
and the approval has to be done by author, licensors etc? as to approve the mission for use etc etc?
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
i don't use Sutton SignWriting or whatever it's called. i never heard of it.
You've never heard of Sutton SignWriting?

It's a visual system for writing sign language. It's actually an abstract of sign. It's often embraced by the hearing impaired who wish to distance themselves from the hearing establishment, or who find it difficult to find adequate education within said establishment (which is common, as schools for the deaf are uncommon and often difficult to access for many people). Due to the similarity of Sutton SignWriting to the actual signs used, it's generally thought to be easier to learn for the hearing impaired, so it becomes a preferred option (much like teaching spelling via phonics is within much of the speaking community).

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
and second, you sound like deaf racist which is new term for someone that hates deaf people.
I have absolutely no problem with deaf people. In fact my own hearing is deteriorating. This is actually why I know about things like SignWriting. I've looked into such things because it could very well be my future.

Oh, and the term you were looking for is "bigot." Racism is specific to having issues with people of specific races, and deaf is not a race. Bigotry is the more general term.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
You've never heard of Sutton SignWriting?

It's a visual system for writing sign language. It's actually an abstract of sign. It's often embraced by the hearing impaired who wish to distance themselves from the hearing establishment, or who find it difficult to find adequate education within said establishment (which is common, as schools for the deaf are uncommon and often difficult to access for many people). Due to the similarity of Sutton SignWriting to the actual signs used, it's generally thought to be easier to learn for the hearing impaired, so it becomes a preferred option (much like teaching spelling via phonics is within much of the speaking community).

I have absolutely no problem with deaf people. In fact my own hearing is deteriorating. This is actually why I know about things like SignWriting. I've looked into such things because it could very well be my future.

Oh, and the term you were looking for is "bigot." Racism is specific to having issues with people of specific races, and deaf is not a race. Bigotry is the more general term.
ah.. i apologize then.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
He also encouraged anyone who thought they had talent with the tool to apply.
I say for those that are interested, to go for it. No matter what the experience could be useful for that person or persons in the long run if they are interested in making that type of work a career.

Case in point, right out of college one of my first job interviews was with the Wall Street Journal. Didn't get the job. But it certainly helped when 5 years later I did get a job with ... the Wall Street Journal (the Asian edition though, so I had to move overseas).
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I say for those that are interested, to go for it. No matter what the experience could be useful for that person or persons in the long run if they are interested in making that type of work a career.

Case in point, right out of college one of my first job interviews was with the Wall Street Journal. Didn't get the job. But it certainly helped when 5 years later I did get a job with ... the Wall Street Journal (the Asian edition though, so I had to move overseas).
how do i apply?
Closed Thread