Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
We all have our way of thinking about what to do with our favorite ships. Personally I love the look of

the NX. Some folks want the TOS Connie and one lady mentioned the cute tier 2 escort. Anyway

what i'm proposing is we need craftable unlimited use holoemitters. Now these would have to be done

by ship class after all seeing a Connie zipping around like a escort would just look silly. It would

take some work by placing another device slot onto the ships dedicated for said holo emitter. this

way i have my fleet escort setup and be rockkin the look of my NX. Now as far as retro fit ships go

they wouldn't get these as a Connie cant do saucer seperation and most escorts can't break up

into 3 pieces . and before anyone says it blowing them up doesn't count.

I'm just thinking that this way the players can get what they want. Theres no old it's an old ship it

can't do that because it isn't a old ship it's your normal ship covered in photons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-20-2011, 08:04 AM
such an idea would introduce Tier 5 Connies, which CBS has already said no to.

Although the holo-emitter idea i do support in part.
The emitters that you purchased in game are too expenive with in-game latinum and only last 15 minutes. which is obscene.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I personally just can't understand why CBS has such a problem with this. but as i said before there would be no teir 5 connies just your sov covered in photons. and who doesn't love photons
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I also saw somewhere (I "think" Capt'n Logan) stated that they didn't want to introduce a PvP situation where you didn't know the capabilities of your enemy. Right now if you are playing against a Sovie, or Defiant, or Intrepid-R, you have an idea of what capabilities the opponent can bring against you. If you open up the ability to bring Tier 1 and 2 up to tier 5, we'll immediately start seeing Miranda's going toe to toe with Sovies and carriers and that's just not right.

There's a sense of, I don't want to use the term "realism", but lets say, "practicality" that they are trying to maintain. While I dearly miss my heavy cruiser variant and Akira, I can understand the concern.


Now on the point of holo-emmitters. I like the idea. I think outside of PvP this could be a viable interim solution until we really find a way to customize our ships, or at least get many more options. I think if you made the image flicker, like the photonic fleet ships do, it would clearly show that it's an emitter but you still get to look like the ship you want to.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Youngblood
We all have our way of thinking about what to do with our favorite ships. Personally I love the look of

the NX. Some folks want the TOS Connie and one lady mentioned the cute tier 2 escort. Anyway

what i'm proposing is we need craftable unlimited use holoemitters. Now these would have to be done

by ship class after all seeing a Connie zipping around like a escort would just look silly. It would

take some work by placing another device slot onto the ships dedicated for said holo emitter. this

way i have my fleet escort setup and be rockkin the look of my NX. Now as far as retro fit ships go

they wouldn't get these as a Connie cant do saucer seperation and most escorts can't break up

into 3 pieces . and before anyone says it blowing them up doesn't count.

I'm just thinking that this way the players can get what they want. Theres no old it's an old ship it

can't do that because it isn't a old ship it's your normal ship covered in photons.
Yes Mister, Lady wants some Tier 2 cute thingy ship ASAP :p

I can live with a holo emitter, but not with a cooldown or something.
Neither do I want my ships to look like the holo emitters do now. The scale is way off, the holograms actually look much larger then i.e. the Grel Brek Cruiser or whatever its called. Same for the other ships (Jem hadar etc)

Well anything better then nothing at all. I'd still prefer a scalable ship system for Higher ranked captains. Especially now they plan to 'simplify' the skilling for a specific type of ship. (i.e. they gonna put escort on escort, cruiser on cruiser, no more seperate skilling. I think this would make the way free to scaleable ships.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
I also saw somewhere (I "think" Capt'n Logan) stated that they didn't want to introduce a PvP situation where you didn't know the capabilities of your enemy. Right now if you are playing against a Sovie, or Defiant, or Intrepid-R, you have an idea of what capabilities the opponent can bring against you.
I do not agree with you there. Any profession can run any ship, and the captain skills have much more impact then the abilities for your Boffs. Look at the situation now, people run Science everywhere, on any ship they want. (Im fine with that by the way) But this obviously has a reason. Subnuke, most powerful captain skill in game atm. Science Fleet, has not been fixed yet by cryptic. Sensor scan, much more powerful then FOMM. Holoships? Taking good use of the current Phaser procs as they are now. (aka. Best weapon proc in the game). Etcetera etcetera.

Depending on what profession my counterpart is playing, I can definately not tell when I fight against another escort whether its a tactical or a science captain. The latter means ALOT more focus, anticipating their holoships and Subnuke, etcetera.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
I also saw somewhere (I "think" Capt'n Logan) stated that they didn't want to introduce a PvP situation where you didn't know the capabilities of your enemy.
Turn appearance mods off in PVP.
Maybe restrict what appearances can be used with what class of ships.
Make seeing appearances optional on the side of other players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
Right now if you are playing against a Sovie, or Defiant, or Intrepid-R, you have an idea of what capabilities the opponent can bring against you. If you open up the ability to bring Tier 1 and 2 up to tier 5, we'll immediately start seeing Miranda's going toe to toe with Sovies and carriers and that's just not right.
I lost track of how many times I killed NPC Negh’Vars and other higher tier ships in my Miranda at T1. As part of normal missions the game routinely puts players in what should be inferior ships against what should be superior ships.

CBS has said they do not want the Constitution and I believe the NX at high tiers. Exclude whatever ships CBS does not want used at high tiers from these types of things.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
I also saw somewhere (I "think" Capt'n Logan) stated that they didn't want to introduce a PvP situation where you didn't know the capabilities of your enemy.
If you meet a Bird of Prey with his universal consoles, you don't know what you're up against.

If you meet a Galaxy Class ship, it could theoretically be a Tier 4 or a Tier 5 ship. If I fight an Excelsior or Nebula, it could be Tier 3 or Tier 5.

But you know what? I tend to assume that whatever I fight in PvP is appropriate to the tier we're playing it. PvP is level-banded, after all. If someone takes his theoretical Tier 5 Constitution into PvP, I am quite aware there are Tier 5 Constitutions in the game and will act accordingly. I will not be lulled into a false sense of security buy someone using a weaker skin.

The entire argument holds no water, and if a dev, artist or producer working for Cryptic says otherwise, he clearly doesn't understand PvPers at all. That woudn't be a surprise, as PvP is pretty much neglected.
I also find it hard to believe that this is the real reason they are doing this, because in the past they have introduced plenty of stuff that broke PvP just because they wanted to give people cool toys.

The "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" argument is nonsense.

They can argue for verisimilitude (but why is the D'Kyr Tier 5 again, or the Excelsior, or the Nebula?)

They don't have any consistent argument. The only argument they can bring is "we don't want to make things worse". But it seems to me more people are interested in a Startrek theme park and not a Startrek simulation. That might be regrettable to some, and yes, it hurts verisimilitude. But IMO, the battle for verisimilitude has already been lost.
And If only at the point where I couldn't stun the Undine posing Starfleet Officer for committing war crimes against Romulan, or the point where the Borg started looking for artifacts of their 3rd Dynasty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
If you meet a Bird of Prey with his universal consoles, you don't know what you're up against.

If you meet a Galaxy Class ship, it could theoretically be a Tier 4 or a Tier 5 ship. If I fight an Excelsior or Nebula, it could be Tier 3 or Tier 5.

But you know what? I tend to assume that whatever I fight in PvP is appropriate to the tier we're playing it. PvP is level-banded, after all. If someone takes his theoretical Tier 5 Constitution into PvP, I am quite aware there are Tier 5 Constitutions in the game and will act accordingly. I will not be lulled into a false sense of security buy someone using a weaker skin.

The entire argument holds no water, and if a dev, artist or producer working for Cryptic says otherwise, he clearly doesn't understand PvPers at all. That woudn't be a surprise, as PvP is pretty much neglected.
I also find it hard to believe that this is the real reason they are doing this, because in the past they have introduced plenty of stuff that broke PvP just because they wanted to give people cool toys.

The "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" argument is nonsense.

They can argue for verisimilitude (but why is the D'Kyr Tier 5 again, or the Excelsior, or the Nebula?)

They don't have any consistent argument. The only argument they can bring is "we don't want to make things worse". But it seems to me more people are interested in a Startrek theme park and not a Startrek simulation. That might be regrettable to some, and yes, it hurts verisimilitude. But IMO, the battle for verisimilitude has already been lost.
And If only at the point where I couldn't stun the Undine posing Starfleet Officer for committing war crimes against Romulan, or the point where the Borg started looking for artifacts of their 3rd Dynasty.
I think you said it all.

To be honest I have always been more on the side of Star Trek simulation. However, after beta I never had any hope of that, so I just accepted the theme park. The only thing they seem to want to maintain control over is the appearance of ships and that has not been very consistent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Well the Lady stopped by "Howdy Miss"

and honestly i just wanna rip around in a NX doing my PVE .

PVP I wouldn't mind if they turned off the holo-emitter if it's gonna get any-ones panties in a twist.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.