Lt. Commander
Hey all,

I've been digging around the forums and searching about, and can't seem to find the information I'm rooting for.

Let me preface by saying I played Federation at release, and was rather disappointed by exploration missions being about the only thing to do with any hope of advancing in decent order.

My first question, really, what's the key differences with Klingon and Federation now adays? At release, there was... hardly anything to do with the Kilingon side of the game, outside of trying to PvP. I made a Gorn this time around, and while there's stuff to do, it's all very repeatable. And... PvP games don't really come up...

Is this just an issue with the Kilingon side of the game?

Will I be missing out on alot of content if I knuckledown and powerthrough the repeatable missions for the Kilingons, instead of Feds?

Which sorta leads me to the last, rather general question...

What's there new to do? My Lower Rear Admiral still only seems to be able to do some missions, but mostly floating around hunting for exploration missions that arean't on cooldown. I see there's an awesome PvE roster to join up in, but they never seem to pop.

I don't mean to sound like I'm griping, I'm just trying to fill in all the gaps from when I used to play, and play now.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Other players are going to tell you there is a lot to do, but really there isn't.

Still barely any kdf content btw.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Some people have been suffering from the current content drought so they are rather irritable. Klingons had their main social zone changed into a city, Starfleet Academy was added, ground combat now has a FPS mode, Klingons have 8 new missions, 3 mission arcs that are shared by Klingons and Federation, the Foundry was added (user generated content), Gorns had their look vastly improved, and episode replay was added.

Just check Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, and Season 4.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you Starkaos!

Welcome back! What could also help you get an overview is the Engineering Reports that Dan writes up once a month. They contain what has been changed, is changing, is planning to be changed... and is requested for by us and players.

Allow me to move you to the Academy, most of our more helpful posters roam here.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
They contain what has been changed, is changing, is planning to be changed...

...and when the Release of this Stuff comes closer, it will be deferred

it is always the same.....New Stuff has been announced, and then .... we must wait annother Copple of months for the release.

And when it comes then, it is mostly unplayeble
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremus
Hey all,

I've been digging around the forums and searching about, and can't seem to find the information I'm rooting for.

Let me preface by saying I played Federation at release, and was rather disappointed by exploration missions being about the only thing to do with any hope of advancing in decent order.

My first question, really, what's the key differences with Klingon and Federation now adays? At release, there was... hardly anything to do with the Kilingon side of the game, outside of trying to PvP. I made a Gorn this time around, and while there's stuff to do, it's all very repeatable. And... PvP games don't really come up...

Is this just an issue with the Kilingon side of the game?

Will I be missing out on alot of content if I knuckledown and powerthrough the repeatable missions for the Kilingons, instead of Feds?

Which sorta leads me to the last, rather general question...

What's there new to do? My Lower Rear Admiral still only seems to be able to do some missions, but mostly floating around hunting for exploration missions that arean't on cooldown. I see there's an awesome PvE roster to join up in, but they never seem to pop.

I don't mean to sound like I'm griping, I'm just trying to fill in all the gaps from when I used to play, and play now.

Thanks!
Okay, let's see if I can be a bit more helpful.

First, I think everyone agrees that PvP is not where anyone wants it to be, including the Dev Team. That part of the game will be getting more attention as time goes on.

The Dev team has also said that there will be more endgame content coming in Season 5. That will be a little ways off.

That doesn't mean there is nothing to do, though. I'm guessing that you haven't played in quite a while.

Have you played any Featured Episodes yet? FE's are series of missions with a common storyline. The eventual goal is to be able to release a new FE every week. As of right now, FE's are faction neutral. You can play them as Starfleet or KDF. You can find out more about the FE's here:

http://www.startrekonline.com/feature_episodes

In addition, the Foundry has been introduced. It is a way of allowing players to create their own missions that other players can play. The Foundry is currently experiencing some issues, but the Dev Team is actively working to sort those out. Foundry missions don't offer much XP, but there are some really good stories that have been published.

KDF content is still extremely light and long on grind, but new PvE missions for KDF have been introduced since launch. These are some of the best missions in the game, outside of the Featured Episodes. Also, KDF exploration has been improved since launch and KDF can now collect data samples and have their own version of the crafting system. There are also some KDF-themed sortie missions in the Pi Canis sector block that you may find challenging.

(By the way, you may not know that KDF can now use tricorders to find stuff...)

In general, the Devs have "remastered" some of the early Federation missions and you can use the Mission Replay feature from your ship's ready room to replay any mission. Mission replay rewards can be different from the original rewards.

Oh, and did you know that you can visit your ship's crew and engineering decks? They aren't terribly functional but they're fun to look at. You can visit the transporter room to speak to the transporter chief and switch from your ship to any shuttlecraft you own. The Devs would like to see a functional shuttlebay in the future.

Have you played any diplomacy missions yet? Certain non-combat missions grant a special kind of experience that ranks you up as a diplomat. Diplomats gain Transwarp destinations and some other rewards. Diplomacy ranking can also affect your choices in certain regular missions. Diplomacy is being folded into a larger Commendation system that will interact with a new Duty Officer system under development.

Hope that helps, and hopefully it also sparks new questions you might have.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Welcome back!

Though the Klingon side lacks the amount of content available for Feds with Story mission arcs and such. It is definitely possible to level a Klingon without doing any PvP at all now. As bluegeek mentioned above, the Featured Series missions are there. They are very fun and repeatable. And with the nice rewards many of them give, they are very much worth doing more than once. I use them a lot when leveling on the Klingon side. I tend to try to mix things up. Do a few exploration/conquest missions. Do a featured series. Do a Story mission. Do a featured series. It helps break up the repetitiveness of just grinding.

In case you didn't know; to Repeat missions just go to your Bridge and visit your Ready Room. There is a monitor there that allows you to Repeat nearly any mission that you have done. So, if there's a particular mission that you really liked, you can do it again.

Also, there are additional rewards some missions now. Federation side; Stranded in Space, Diplomatic Orders and Doomsday Device just got a makeover. There are new rewards, new accolades and new challenges to face. Plus they've been updated so that they match your level, so you get XP worthy of your current rank.

And for your LRA Fed, you're right at about the level to start the Special Task Forces. Get yourself to LRA 5 get the Infected mission and hook up with a team and give it a try. It is well worth it.

Good luck and enjoy!