Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Quote:
Q: ...Who is in Charge of Starfleet Academy ?

A: Yes and we are working on a new character to introduce as headmaster at the Academy in a future episode
Devs realize this is Star Trek Online and not Harry Potter Online, right? Starfleet Academy is a military college that instructs and trains future officers. Not, to be confused with Hogwarts that ... well, whatever. I just wanted to make this clear and make sure things are done correctly. I'll be irked if I have to take missions from a "headmaster" just because someone setting things up is a Potter fan or it's all they know.

Starfleet Academy seems to follow the structure as our United States service academies. That means a Superintendent is in charge with a Commandant as the second most senior officer. The Superintendent is basically a "chief school administrator". The Commandant is equivalent to Dean of Students. This is the way academies such as The Citadel, West Point, Annapolis, Air Force Academy, various NCO academies, and the country's War Colleges are run.

For canon, I present the following examples as proof that Star Trek follows the Unites States' academy structure. All information has been pulled from Memory Alpha.

Superintendent: The superintendent was the senior officer and chief administrator of Starfleet Academy on Earth.

During Jean-Luc Picard's time at the Academy between 2323 and 2327, the superintendent was a male Betazoid; Picard was called to his office at least once. During William T. Riker's Academy years from 2353 to 2357, the superintendent was a Vulcan who memorized the personnel files of every single cadet. (TNG: "The First Duty")

Admiral Hahn was the superintendent in 2366. (TNG: "Ménage à Troi") Rear Admiral Brand held the office in 2368. (TNG: "The First Duty")

Commandant: The commandant of Starfleet Academy was the officer in charge of cadets' education, and also oversaw the activities of the various squads.

In 2364, this position was offered by Admiral Gregory Quinn to Captain Jean-Luc Picard, but it was turned down. (TNG: "Coming of Age") By 2372, a Bolian rear admiral was in the post. (DS9: "Paradise Lost")

I hope that this clears things up and sets the record straight. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree 100%.

Starfleet Academy has never had a "Headmaster". Starfleet Academy isn't a prep school or some otehr school that has a "Headmaster". As NJohSonik has said... Starfleet Academy isn't Hogwarts.

here is a link to the Starfleet Academy Personnel Database.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfle...demy_personnel

It clearly shows that in all canon references... the position was called "Superintendent" or "Commandant".

Plus... I'd be very disapointed if players had to recieve all their Academy missions directly from the Superintendent. That is unrealistic and absurd. Individual Instructors and Professors or even visiting Starship Captains would be more realistic and believable.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Bah its just wording, I'm more interested in the "who" then what term he goes by.

I nominate Picard to leave his post as Ambass. of Vulcan and take his place as the headmaster superintendent of SFA!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
...Or Data? And then we could get an explanation as to what happened to the ENT-E?
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
sorry I just Don't see Data or Picard happening due to IP issues,

both would be great choices tho
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Donaldson
It clearly shows that in all canon references... the position was called "Superintendent" or "Commandant".
Those are two separate and distinct positions responsible for different functions at Starfleet Academy. Both exist at the same time. There wouldn't be one or the other. Nor are the terms interchangeable.

There would be an Admiral of a certain grade as a Superintendent and another at (usually) equal or lower grade that was the Commandant.

For example:

Vice Admiral Smith, Superintendent - Starfleet Academy
Rear Admiral Jones, Commandant - Starfleet Academy

The Commandant position, in this case, is not to be confused with the military positions known as the Commandant of the Coast Guard or Commandant of the Marine Corps.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
What's the difference between Superintendant and Commandant?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
What's the difference between Superintendant and Commandant?
Superintendent: The superintendent was the senior officer and chief administrator of Starfleet Academy on Earth.

Commandant: The commandant of Starfleet Academy was the officer in charge of cadets' education, and also oversaw the activities of the various squads.

Think of the Superintendent as the individual in charge of instructors, major curriculum changes, and the general administration of the Academy overall. Like the president of a university or college.

The Commandant was the individual in charge of and responsible for the education of the Cadets. Like a Dean of Students of a university or college.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJohSonik
Those are two separate and distinct positions responsible for different functions at Starfleet Academy. Both exist at the same time. There wouldn't be one or the other. Nor are the terms interchangeable.

There would be an Admiral of a certain grade as a Superintendent and another at (usually) equal or lower grade that was the Commandant.

For example:

Vice Admiral Smith, Superintendent - Starfleet Academy
Rear Admiral Jones, Commandant - Starfleet Academy

The Commandant position, in this case, is not to be confused with the military positions known as the Commandant of the Coast Guard or Commandant of the Marine Corps.
idk, i thought they were the same thing. Memory Alpha says... "The Superintendent of the Academy has also been referred to as the Commandant. In 2364, Jean-Luc Picard was offered this position but turned it down."

but, it is just a wiki. your probobly right.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Donaldson
but, it is just a wiki. your probobly right.
I'm always right.