Lt. Commander
# 1 False Advertising?
08-05-2011, 09:45 AM
I just had a look at the city of hero's website (I know it is not a cryptic game anymore) and it states that it is:

"City of HeroesŪ: The World's Most Popular Superpowered MMO."

Isnt this a bit cheeky? and I thought there where laws against making such sweeping statements.

It can pretty much be proven false, as almost ALL MMO's have characters that have superpowers (ie: super strengh, magical abilitys) and COH is FAR from the most poplular MMO.

Not really a big issue, but I wondered what other people thought of it
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, technically, it's a gray area.

Afterall, if no-one's going to release their statistics, any MMO can boast 'the biggest fanbase', 'most popular MMO in the genre' or 'most users'.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I kind of doubt that. How many "things" advertise as "*Regions* most popular X"? From soda-pop to chewing gum; headed to cars and so forth.

False Advertising would be if they promise you a pony with your game and then don't deliver it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I kind of doubt that. How many "things" advertise as "*Regions* most popular X"? From soda-pop to chewing gum; headed to cars and so forth.

False Advertising would be if they promise you a pony with your game and then don't deliver it.
Hmmm..

Then I proclaim myself the most popular poster on the STO forums!!!

I am feeling generous, so I shall proclaim wishy the most popular mod too! (which is probably true )
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:

in that case its time to raise an army and usurp the king of beers. Budweiser you pretender to the crown, your time has cometh.

for pony!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Quote:
I could of swore that STO was advertising free Ponies with every subscription awhile back... :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
in that case its time to raise an army and usurp the king of beers. Budweiser you pretender to the crown, your time has cometh.

for pony!!!!!
Ug, budwieser, with its 'born on' date, telling us fresh beer tastes better, when the opposite is true!

Imagine if wine was promoted as 'freshly brewed is better!'

Coors 'lite' beer is the worst offender, its +4% alchohol but tastes like water, litterly!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
I just had a look at the city of hero's website (I know it is not a cryptic game anymore) and it states that it is:

"City of HeroesŪ: The World's Most Popular Superpowered MMO."

Isnt this a bit cheeky? and I thought there where laws against making such sweeping statements.

It can pretty much be proven false, as almost ALL MMO's have characters that have superpowers (ie: super strengh, magical abilitys) and COH is FAR from the most poplular MMO.

Not really a big issue, but I wondered what other people thought of it
Yes there are laws regarding this, but they are not international. I'm not quite sure how the laws relate to online advertising, but i know in some countries, if you decided to make a magazine advert or TV advert making claims like this would not be allowed.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:

a pony humm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AFna...eature=related

sorry if that violates any rules....
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm not a lawyer (local, national, international, or otherwise ), but my understanding is that so long as the claim of superiority is in quotes ("") and they aren't specifically promising anything (like a free pony), then they are allowed to say anything they want. Take it from me, "The Biggest Know-it-All, Who Knows Less Than Others in STO."