Lt. Commander
# 1 Conference room?
08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I distinctly remember running a mission that used a conference room... but I can't find anything similar to one in the maps.

Is it just missing now (or am I missing it), or is the correct solution just to use a generic federation map and re-dress a room to be the conference room?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I can't remember for sure about the name of the map, but U.S.S. Trimble Interior or something named like that has a kind of big room with a table and some chairs around it. I don't know if that's the conference room you were thinking of though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Nah, that's not it... but I might end up having to use it.

Someone had something that looked very similar to the Enterprise-D's conference room, though it would appear nothing like that naturally exists which means they must've found something to sorta re-dress as a conference room. Wish I could remember what the mission was, but it was one of the first I ran from the Foundry. Would be nice to see how someone else handled that, since conference rooms are one of the many, many things currently unavailable for whatever painful reason.

I mean, how many episodes of TNG or even Voyager didn't have the bridge crew in there?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Eh, I made my own. Doesn't look like D's, but it looks like a conference room. No windows, sadly, but had to make due with what the Foundry will give us.

It does have a fish tank that is actually three fish tanks pushed together to make one supreme fish tank.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
You probably played a mission where the author built a conference room from scratch using platforms, walls, etc. on an exterior ground map. This is what a lot of authors have to do for sets, since the Cryptic interiors are almost impossible to work with if you want to customize a unique setting.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
You probably played a mission where the author built a conference room from scratch using platforms, walls, etc. on an exterior ground map. This is what a lot of authors have to do for sets, since the Cryptic interiors are almost impossible to work with if you want to customize a unique setting.
I feel I did decent with one of the interior sets... one of the two generic federation ones (the one without the freakin' boxes everywhere).

It'll serve its purpose in the story, and nothing about it is overly wonky. Guess I won't know for sure until folks start to review it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
People do this? That's dedication... it must take ages, having to construct the set on a 2D grid and then load the map in play mode to check the positioning of everything, then going back to edit mode and tweaking... or is there an easier way than that?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
People do this? That's dedication... it must take ages, having to construct the set on a 2D grid and then load the map in play mode to check the positioning of everything, then going back to edit mode and tweaking... or is there an easier way than that?
there are some tricks that make it easier, mostly involving math and manually editing x, y, and z values for precision. But, yes, you're right. It can take a serious commitment of time and about 800 play tests to build a custom set using the 2d editor.

However, one thing that we're doing is sharing the info via pdfs to make it easier for other authors to replicate. For example, this ziggarut was a serious chore for me, but you can rebuild it for your own mission in about 25 minutes.
http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/ugc...sset-ziggurat/
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
Eh, I made my own. Doesn't look like D's, but it looks like a conference room. No windows, sadly, but had to make due with what the Foundry will give us.

It does have a fish tank that is actually three fish tanks pushed together to make one supreme fish tank.
If you want windows, or a transporter room, you can always use a map (generally a space station or ship map) that has those and then box them in with walls.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Another option for windows is to build the room on a platform 300 high in the air on a ground map with a space sky. You can also put some star streaks to simulate warp.

You need a flat map that doesn't have enormous trees. But It's pretty convincing.