Lt. Commander
# 1 No, but really...
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Seriously, still looking as a plausible and preferably Dev answer to this question:

Why have there been no PvP content additions since launch?

More game types are a welcome, and at this point very necessary, addition. However, the lifeblood of PvP in any game is maps. Those take, how long, 5 minutes, to come up with? Especially since with Space PvP all you need is a few cool focal points and then a big open area. It should take even less time than normal, considering there is already a very large bank of usable maps in the PvE realm that can be converted to PvP.

This can't simply be an oversight by the Devs. We've been vocal enough about this, and the Devs seem to be avoiding the topic. Even in the monthly Ask Cryptics, we get a token PvP question "answered" without giving us any real information. At this point, it's more like the Devs are trolling us more than anything.

Why? We're paying customers, we deserve some Dev attention too. In addition to our monthly subs, we dump money in the C-Store just as much as anyone else. Why should we go on supporting the RP and PvEers every month when our money goes towards things like Starfleet Academy and uniforms? Isn't it only fair that we get some content as well? As I've stated before, PvP maps do not take that long at all. And unlike Starfleet Academy and FEs, where you take a 10 minute glance around the place or run through them a few times, PvP maps and content have infinite re-playability with a relatively small amount of development time required compared to other things.

So, seriously Devs: Let us know what's up. You can tout the open PvP that's coming "soon", but Ker'rat is open PvP too and it's been broken for well over a year now. Even if open PvP came out tomorrow, it wouldn't be enough to offset all of this time. Just something as small as saying, "You know what, you're right. We HAVE been ignoring PvP," would LOADS for not only community relations, but also to tame some of our frustration.

Now, as a note to those of you reading this: Please, no "I don't PvP so I don't care or want PvP additions! There's like 5 of you!" We've gone over those topics over and over again.

Also, I'd like to invite all of you to read and post in our anniversary thread, where we noted that it's been a solid year since we were told we'd be getting basic additions that were already in testing "soon."
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I support this post.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
I support this post.
http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/f..._this_post.jpg

I had to :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Sometimes I wonder if they are starving the beast so they can close out the feature by claiming that no one PvPs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Those take, how long, 5 minutes, to come up with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
As I've stated before, PvP maps do not take that long at all.
You're obviously not a game developer.

I don't think you have provided any evidence that this is the case. Without making this core statement plausible, most of your claims ring hollow.

I have very serious doubts it takes "5 minutes" to make a player vs player map, especially when the maps are underwhelming as it is. The first thing people would say to half-arsed maps is "Omg, Cryptic is obviously trying to kill us PvPers off. These new maps must have taken, what, 5 minutes to make?"

If it were so easy to crank out half-decent maps I'm sure Cryptic would have been plugging them out relentlessly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnagefiend View Post
You're obviously not a game developer.

I don't think you have provided any evidence that this is the case. Without making this core statement plausible, most of your claims ring hollow.

I have very serious doubts it takes "5 minutes" to make a player vs player map, especially when the maps are underwhelming as it is. The first thing people would say to half-arsed maps is "Omg, Cryptic is obviously trying to kill us PvPers off. These new maps must have taken, what, 5 minutes to make?"

If it were so easy to crank out half-decent maps I'm sure Cryptic would have been plugging them out relentlessly.
You're right, I'm not a game dev. I'm an astrophysics undergrad :p

But if it takes that long, tell us. Give us some info. Even then, if it takes 10 months, we should have gotten at least 1 by now, yes?

There are already many existing PvE maps that would work great for PvP. How long would it honestly take to put a few spawn points on?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
In all honesty, I would have to hazard that despite being quite vocal in the forums, the amount of people who actually participate in PvP does not equal the number of people who want other features in the game. IT is entirely possible though that I am wrong on this count though, but often it seems that focuses of the dev team are aimed where the most bang for the buck can be found.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
And it's not like Cryptic hasn't owned up to the neglect, it's just that they haven't done anything about it. From May's Ask Cryptic:
Q: matteo716 Why is space PvP so seemingly cared so little for? I mean it's the only mode of play in the game that has actually lost content since its release but yet is one of the most vocal (at least when they're angry) community sections.

A: Admittedly, there has been a lack of PVP support in STO since Season 1, and many would say that PVP is not STO's strong point. Over the last seasons we have been slowly working towards improving the system by way implementing a new PVP queue and the ability to create private PVP challenges. As we move forward, the goal is to work in PVP versions of maps as we do Feature Episode series. So look for something new towards the end of the next series.
What Cryptic hasn't done is explain why pvp is treated like a leper colony since Feb 2010?

Additionally, pvpers disagree, pvp IS one of STO's strong points. The space pvp in this game is unlike that in any other. It's challenging, fun and has a decent community based on camaraderie and competition. So maybe we just need to be like the pve'rs and continue with some patience to see what gets delivered with FE #4? Though I'd say waiting 1 year for pvp content to be delivered that was being developed and tested in July 2010 is a lot longer than 5 months people have been waiting for content.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I get the impression that the staff is overworked and undermanned. Speaking as a person that doesn't PVP I'm only hanging around till the Romulan faction is launched because thats what I joined the game to play. I know people who are rightly upset that it has taken this long to get klingon content and it's still nowhere near on par with fed. I bet if you look hard at almost every aspect of the game you will find area's for improvement and that promises were made. Coming soon... seems to be the phrase. I also have the impression that BIG things are happening behind the scenes at Cryptic what with them being sold to PW recently. I hope (fingers crossed) that once the takeover is complete people will be getting back to work. I will just have to take there word for it that this stuff is being worked on and will be done soon.... ish.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresteel
I get the impression that the staff is overworked and undermanned. Speaking as a person that doesn't PVP I'm only hanging around till the Romulan faction is launched because thats what I joined the game to play. I know people who are rightly upset that it has taken this long to get klingon content and it's still nowhere near on par with fed. I bet if you look hard at almost every aspect of the game you will find area's for improvement and that promises were made. Coming soon... seems to be the phrase. I also have the impression that BIG things are happening behind the scenes at Cryptic what with them being sold to PW recently. I hope (fingers crossed) that once the takeover is complete people will be getting back to work. I will just have to take there word for it that this stuff is being worked on and will be done soon.... ish.
"Soon" has been coming for a while now