Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Ever heard of a game called MAG for the PS3? Max number of players that could be on one map was 256. Remember how bad the servers were on there? Of course they made some of the maps so large you could never see another enemy squad throughout the entire match and didn't lag you out too bad. The way they have this game set up right now can barely handle a 10 v 10 match. And if you have more that 3 Carriers within your viewing range, forget it. Seeing 30 Carriers would cause the servers to explode.
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
I wonder, 100 gravity wells, think that would instagib the entire team. 50k per tick from 100 gravwells.
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurQue
I wonder, 100 gravity wells, think that would instagib the entire team. 50k per tick from 100 gravwells.
Probably another example why we need a different stacking mechanism?

I suppose 50 ships casting HE and Transfer Shield Strength on the same guy would also mean 15 second of invulnerability to anything.

Basically:
Powers with the same name do not stack at all. So if two people cast Transfer Shield Strength on you, only the better HOT and resistance bonus applies. The same could apply to Gravity Well - if you are GWed, you take only the highest damage of all GWs hitting you, and are probably also only attracted by the highest respective repel.

This might make instant heals more valuable (Engineering Team, Science Team and the AUx2SIF healing component).

For powers like Tachyon Beam and Charged Particle Burst, one would probably need to give the target a brief resistance buff. In case of CPB, the cloak-dispel ability might be the appropriate timer for that, else 15 seconds is a neat time, as it coincides with the system cooldowns.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Somehow I think the logistics would make that a very difficult thing to pull off. Co-ordinating so many other players, while at the same time having all your enemy closely packed...

Yea it sounds like a nightmare, but it also sounds impractical.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiy
I hope they never do that.. and if they do they better add a different queue for that. Large scale battles just mean it gets more zergy and the individual player skill will matter less for the outcome of the battle. I prefer individual player skill to matter, number games are mostly boring.. 5 is just about the right size to have teamplay and have individual playing skill matter.
It really depends on the game type, the map, and where you spawn players. You can set things up so that there is a strong incentive to say, act in small groups.

You could spawn all players say, in a ring fashion, with alternative groups of 5 players, red,blue,red,blue etc around a very large ring. Provided the diameter is wide enough, you have now immediately removed the likelihood of a zerg, as it is no longer a mass of 2 ships heading toward one another. You have to make a choice, attack the port group, or the starbord group. You may get a 10-5 in your favour or against, or a 5v5, or a 10v10, with rolling battles moving around the circumference of the ring of spawns. A large environment like this could be an interesting environment for a Last man standing gamestyle. You could make no respawns, so you get one life only.

Bear with me and understand these are just a couple of off the cuff ideas. I am not saying there aren't still problems, but I will suggest, that an intelligent enough discussion on the subject could possibly yield something quite enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
SOB used to stack 3 GW 3s for a while. Good times. People just melted.

... Unless they had Aux to ID.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Massive 100 vs 100 pvp is probably in development like the rest of the pvp updates.

As soon as the current pvp updates go live they'll look into it.

The question is will anyone still be playing STO 100 years from now when the pvp updates finally go live?