Lt. Commander
# 11
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMirror
I also think we should limit reviewer ability to Lifetime members and 200 day veterans with a requirement of 1 Admiral character, that way we will have alot less noob reviewers
I think this is not a bad idea and would support this. Probobaly go with just VA.

But to be honest, I generally don't write reviews unless its a realy good mission. If it has wasted my time, I realy don't bother (not referring to yours btw).

I wish Cryptic would start 'Foundry mission of the week' ... or just get on and release more FE's
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
I know this isn't going to be possible due to the abuse potential of it, but I'd like to be able to strike reviews from my missions.

For example, I got a two star review calling my mission boring, why was it boring? because BOFFs got stuck in a borg ship and the borg don't kidnap.

Problem: My mission doesn't involve borg or kidnapping.

I got a few one star reviews as well, two people couldn't start the mission, unable to find the door to start it, despite it being in both the opening hail and the objective to start with. A third complained about the make up of the final boss mob which I have no control over. It's very... annoying to put it lightly when a mission that is otherwise rated 4-5 stars is lowered because someone just hits the submit button, or doesn't take time to read.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Yes, 1 star reviews hurt. But I usually just write them an in-game-message to ask them what was wrong. Sometimes I get valuable answers.

What I really want to know is, how many my mission drop. That would be interesting. And generally a little more statistics like how long they played, how many times they had to respawn and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
Yes, 1 star reviews hurt. But I usually just write them an in-game-message to ask them what was wrong. Sometimes I get valuable answers.

What I really want to know is, how many my mission drop. That would be interesting. And generally a little more statistics like how long they played, how many times they had to respawn and so on.
Yeah, I'd imagine that'd be pretty invaluable information for a mission designer. I'm sure it'd help them better tweak their missions and plan out their next projects. Plus, it's always fun to look at statistics for your own creations!
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
This is by far my fav bad reviewer. Got him or her today:

Paraphrasing: "Fun, but you need to work on the loading screens. They take too long."
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
I think you will find that your latter request about restricting the ability(in any way) of users to use the Foundry will go unheeded, and rightly so. Whether they leave good reviews or not, you cannot restrict a game mechanic like that.

With that said though, I do agree that any review under 3 stars deserves an explanation as to why they are reviewing that way, and have some form of appeals process for it. of course, there is absolutely nothing that will stop a reviewer from simply /10char the review either, which is why you need something that will let you dispute the review, like ebay's review policy. The downside to that is you now tie up someone having to go through all the dispute tickets...
I actually think reviews should be weighted to favor the reviews of other Foundry authors who have good reviews. The better reviewed YOU are, the more weighted your reviews are for other people's missions.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
the best way to deal with a bad review is to remember what i told a dps warrior that complained about the way i was healing and dps'ing with and s.priest and cut him off and cried out why i wasnt healing him and i stated. "I can't heal stupid"
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Sadly, my first ever mission has already recieved a couple of unexplained 1-star ratings. Almost half of the people who've tried it gave it five stars, then a good chunk of fours, and a single three star rater.

But neither of the people who dropped one star or the three star rater left a comment... so now I'll never know if there was legitimately a problem or if they were just trolling (people will do that, and there's no avoiding it). Still, when so far the vast majority of others have liked the mission so far, well... I'll ignore em. Maybe the three star guy had a legitimate reason, maybe he's the hardest grader ever or maybe he loves missions that are just non-stop pew pew pew. If so, he should've let me know. But the one stars? If a couple of guys gave a one-star rating and didn't give a legitimate reason like "mission is completely broken and unplayable", then I'm just gonna assume their trolls who like to try and **** of the folks who spend hours making missions.

Honestly, that's something Cryptic should try to keep an eye out for if they can: if people repeatidly drop low ratings without comment, then consider removing their ratings and/or removing their ability to review missions. Giving people the ability to say "hur hur hur, I done gave everyone a one star rating, hur hur hur" serves no good purpose. If trolling the Foundry becomes too difficult, I'm sure most of em would move on to easier ways to try and get a rise out of people.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Problem is a lot people don't read instructions then give bad rating based on they can't figure things out.
I am testing a some stuff on holodeck, test mission with my low and high level toons, trying figure how intense I can get some space combat yet keeping mission doable, since mission wip description, clearly says don't take this mission still in development, it will not tell you where to start mission. Some one took mission then gave me a 1 with comments " I don't get it"
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Just let players put +/- marks on other people's reviews, like you get on youtube or slashdot comments. You can weight the average star ratings with these approval levels, and reviews gain merit for their content rather than for how long the reviewer has been paying or how popular they are.

Any system where selected individuals get more 'review power' or where newcomers are silenced will create a sense of cliqueyness or barriers of entry toward newcomers. If you want either of those things you should go play that other internet spaceships game.