Lt. Commander
# 21
08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I actually think reviews should be weighted to favor the reviews of other Foundry authors who have good reviews. The better reviewed YOU are, the more weighted your reviews are for other people's missions.
Thats actually a really good idea. It works under the assumption that mission designers make better reviewers (true) and also someone who put the effort into making a really good missions understands what makes a good mission.

On the subject of requiring feedback, I wonder how hard it would be to have 1 or 2 star reviews click through an additional review screen regarding why with some standardized responses such as "could not complete mission".
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
Thats actually a really good idea. It works under the assumption that mission designers make better reviewers (true) and also someone who put the effort into making a really good missions understands what makes a good mission.
I disagree. Reviewing has a additional skill set required of it, and while it helps a lot to be technically able with the creation process, it doesn't require actual creativity; just the ability to recognize good creativity.

You'd end up with a list of 'top reviewers' who are all aware of the creation process, and you lose out by snubbing potentially good reviewers who have that crucial aspect of being able to play through a mission and rate it for how fun it is to play as a player, and not take into account how accomplished it is in technical terms. I want those people to review my levels. I want good level builders to spend their time building and sharing.

If you promote one person's review weight for any reason other than the quality of their reviews, you're going to exclude someone else for unjust reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Quote:
As an author myself - sorry, the above doesn't make sense as everyone has differentr likes and dislikes. For example you as an author may still fin something in a Foundry mission that (due to your personal preferences) makes you rate it as a 3 star; when 50 other Foundry authors rate it as a 5 star.

What makes your 3 Star rating less valid at that point?
Lt. Commander
Why?

Everyone has an opinion. Opinions cannot be used as the basis of logical arguments. You can only agree or disagree with another person's opinion. Opinions of critics works both ways. Yes a person can leave a 'bad' review on any Foundry story or mission. However, other players can see the opinion.

When the other people play the mission, they too will agree or disagree with that critic. If the bad critique is not correlating with the story, the person loses 'face' value or believeablity. So, if you write to many bad reviews, at some point the other people will question your ability to determine what is bad or good.

Personally, my opinion is never to trust the opinion of any human being who is under 25 years of age. People under 25 years of age frontal lobes are under developed and the brain has not finished mylinating. They are not capable of Formal Operational thinking. So, they are not mentally capable of the abstract thinking necessary to derive a serious opinion which requires understanding of context, pragmatics, discourse analysis, and ethnographical scope.

If you study many people's critiques of other players Foundry stories in this game, then you can easily pick out what person is over 25 years of age and what player is not.

One factor I look at in a critique is if the reviewer can contruct a sentence with some resemblence of American-English Grammar or grapholect. If they cannot do this, then their review is probably not valid.

I had a reviewer write me a review in German. I do not actually speak German. At first, it seemed the review was not a good one. Howevr, I can translate German, Greek, Latin, Japanese, and English. Keep in mind translating is not the same as "speaking" a language fluently. When I translated the review, which took me a couple of minutes to do on my iPad. It was actually a good review.

I am glad that reviewer was not limited to size of a comment. I have been giving more thought lately to offering the stories I write in a translated format.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
Quote:

On the subject of requiring feedback, I wonder how hard it would be to have 1 or 2 star reviews click through an additional review screen regarding why with some standardized responses such as "could not complete mission".
So what happens to people who...write a good story and another fleet has around 200 members, and for what ever reason they do not like that author. Then those 200 people intentionally write a bad review without any merit.

No one person or group of persons should determine what stories get reviewed nor the basis for what that review will entale. That will open up all kinds of abuse and blacklisting, which is actually against the law. That mindset only invites bigotry and tyranny.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Just to jump in: I don't like the idea of Foundry authors having more say than others in reviews. Just cause someone hasn't made a mission doesn't make their opinion any less valid than a person who threw together a mission that took ten minutes to make. That, and I could easily see it creating a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" mentality where authors highly rate everyone elses' missions with the understanding that they'll then go and rate the original rater's mission highly as well.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Maybe a 'thanks' button that allowed a publisher to quickly thank a reviewer for giving good feedback might be useful. It would make a pleasant surprise from the flood of 'item sold in the exchange' mails in a player's inbox.

And sure, it's open to misuse by players only thanking positive reviews, but it's not exploitable as it doesn't grant any advantage... it would just send a mail.

It might encourage level authors to engage more with their reviewers (those who mention having mailed their reviewers are likely exceptions to the norm). Being aware of these 'thank you' mails would also remind a lot of players that there's a human being that's going to receive the review they're about to post.

There must be a sizable percentage of negative reviews that happen after a ragequit, where an otherwise nice and helpful person got frustrated by an oversight or design flaw that he or she might normally have provided useful feedback toward.

A couple of touches to reduce the internet effect might go a long way.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-11-2011, 08:16 PM
QUICKY!!!!!!!!!!! :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I have given 3 foundary missions a score of 1 without a reveiw and I will continue to do so if I find those two authors continue their trend of publications.

You see the scripting/tweaks/mechanics are all done perfectly, the story and action is compelling...but wait. This is an exact carbon copy of missions myself and others created in a trek Nova simulation, from race name, to planetary details everything.

And non of the sims members authored the missions.

So you see the perfect missions can deserve no more than a 1 or even 0. Why? They at times can take from the years worth of simulation logs over the past 20 years scattered throughout the internet and copy them.

I've seen 3 occasions. If its not your idea, your original concept, your everything, no matter how awesome it is, if we see another rip from our sites you'll get another dozen 1 votes.

Just the way it goes if one is caught out.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Really, I think the star system is flawed.

I'd like something more like Pandora internet radio.

Have authors tag missions. Have reviewers tag missions. These can include things like "slow-paced", "fast-paced", "text-heavy", "ground-heavy", "no combat", "all combat", "typos", etc. Just a bunch of checkboxes, with options for custom tags.

Let people search by tags. More tags by reviewers in a category. If 50 people say "typos" it will come up higher in a search for "typos" and lower or not at all in a search which says, "No typos."

From there, look at building preference profiles for players. Where you get suggestions based on missions you like or where looking at one mission will give you a list of similar missions.

I think star ratings, thumbs up or thumbs down, like or dislike are poorly thought out.

It would be better to have 5 categories with objective yes or no questions that can be checked off and a box for custom tags.