Lt. Commander
Ok, i have had this question for a long time because none of the number in game add up, or at least 90%. My energy dampening armor gives +54%resist to all energy dmg, but my total resist with it is 29%, second, weapon dmg full buff shotgun on ground for me does over 1000 dmg, but can not kill a lot of things in 1 shot without a crit, max health including shields in game is around 800-850, resist could cut that dmg down to around 600, but sometimes it wont even do 200 at less than 1 meter, again full buff and usually flanking. furthermore the syncronic proton rifle from the devidian series has 90 proton dmg times 3, so around 270 on the secondary but regularly does 800+. So i want to ask, what kind of math system do you use?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
I believe there is a chance, or luck, factor that also plays a role on the damage. Otherwise... it would be stupid

Also, the distance counts a lot, if your listed damage is 500, and you shoot from far away, then you won't do 500 for sure... I would bet 150 at most.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyTaylor View Post
I believe there is a chance, or luck, factor that also plays a role on the damage. Otherwise... it would be stupid

Also, the distance counts a lot, if your listed damage is 500, and you shoot from far away, then you won't do 500 for sure... I would bet 150 at most.

The Question I am Asking is how does the math work, not how the weapons work. I am more than familiar with the workings of ground PVP. as stated in the original post, numerous weapons, armors, and abilities do not mathematically fit with there descriptors, I am simply asking for the mathematical formulas that cryptic uses to determine the base dmg of an attack, as the in game numbers are not accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Well, for armor, at least:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully's Insights Thread
The formula is roughly: 1 - (100/(100 + Resist value)). (This gives a fractional value, multiply it with 100 to get a percentage.) So an armor mod of +50 (or two of +25) gives only about 33 % of resistance. Remember that you might have passive resists from accolades or other sources (powers.) This is just a simplified version of the formula, the actual one is more complicated and also ensures the resistance cap of 75 %. Details are attached to this STOKed podcast with Al "CaptainGeko" Reviera: http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/5...iew-stoked-73/
Shields, on the other hand:
Quote:
Originally Posted by See above
Shield resistance are described in percentages, e.g. by how much the damage your shields take are reduced. Shield Resistances stack multiplicative. If you have value of n % as shield resistance, the damage you receive is multiplied by 1 - (n / 100). For example, if you have 25 % Shield Resistance, you have 1 - (25/100) = 0.75 as damage mutlpilier. If you have 2 shield resistance sources, you multiply these values. So, if you have 15 % shield resistance from shield power and 20 % from a shield resistance granting power, the effective value is 0.85 * 0.8 = 0.68 or 32 % damage reduction. There is also a 75 % cap for the final value of your resistance.
Note on terminology: Since Armor and Shield have different formuals on stacking and how the yare applied overall, I and others prefer to refer to shield resistance as "Shield Damage Reduction" (SDR).
Hope that helps,
-Big Red Goomba

P.S. Link to MustrumRidcully's Insights Thread
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
Well, for armor, at least:

Shields, on the other hand:

Hope that helps,
-Big Red Goomba

P.S. Link to MustrumRidcully's Insights Thread
so the armor on ground follows the same formula as the consoles in space?
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12guageshotgun
so the armor on ground follows the same formula as the consoles in space?
Yes (not just Consoles, but resistances from any source, like APD/O, HE, Polarize, etc.), and shields on the ground work the same as in space (stacking multiplicatively).

-Big Red Goomba
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
(stacking multiplicatively).

-Big Red Goomba
Id have a hard time playing scrabble with you sir