Lt. Commander
This is not a discussion about the stock markets and what is causing the mass declines, but I want to know if this will affect cryptic and their ability to release new content and what effect this may have for the future of star trek online? Without getting into detail, is this affecting cryptic's operations?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Not being an expert on stocks and their influence on the market or Cryptic, My geuss would be that as long as people pay their subscriptions in all Cryptics games, we are good.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
They probably can't talk about it due to the ongoing buyout of Cryptic by Perfect World from Atari.

That said, I'd compare both Perfect World and Atari stocks. They're listed.

As bad as Perfect World looks, Atari is far worse off--likely due to the instability in europe.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Should this thread not be in Ten Forward??

I really do not see much in the way of STOL Discussion here.....
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
PW buying back $100 million in its own shares is generally a sign of good cash flow and stability. PW's stock price isn't really that bad. It's just the market panic dealing with the fallout of the US S&P adjustment.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
PW buying back $100 million in its own shares is generally a sign of good cash flow and stability. PW's stock price isn't really that bad. It's just the market panic dealing with the fallout of the US S&P adjustment.
That's what I'd say. They actually did pretty well considering the global markets were hit hard.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Situations like these are a god send for companies with plenty of cash reserves who's intention is to eventually go private. So considering that PW has plenty of cash reserves and has bought back stock the new owners are in no danger. Stock prices are only relevant if a company isn't sound or is looking to add or subtract shares.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm glad to see this is staying on topic. Derran thanks for the stock info. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope things don't get much worse. The subscriptions seem to be the key to staying afloat. I know they won't release that kind of information but antidotally it seems with the content drought that subscriptions are either on the decline or stagnate.