Lt. Commander
# 1 Foundry has nothing useful!
08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
i've been working on the foundry (just came up for the first time since i started playing like 3 weeks ago) and when i went to make my map.... i couldn't do anything! could find a way to controlt he cameras... couldn't add affects like (Assimilate my captain or give my captain a Borg Appearance)... can't give your ship the Appearance of a borg cube!... i'm sure theres lots of other similar things you can't use either.

i'm dissapointed. Hope the... above mentioned things will be added some time in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Wait, you were basically creating a monster play mission? I guess it's a cool idea in theory, but I'm not a huge fan of Foundry missions telling me which ship I have or changing my character's appearances. Claiming there is nothing useful at all in the Foundry is a bit of a hyperbole. It's clear from the many missions that have been created, that the Foundry can be a useful tool in mission creation. All you did, was basically try and make the Foundry do something it can't do.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2011, 01:35 AM
the foundry is a simple tool to make mission like we have in the game. i think you have gone in expecting too much. we cant just turn our ships in borg cubes or have our captains be assimilated.

they might add cut scene tech in the future to let us play with the camera but the foundry is not meant to be a dev tool where you can do almost anything. they will probably never give us that much freedom.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2011, 05:17 AM
If your new to the foundry and are having trouble working it I suggest going here and watching these tutorial vids they help alot.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/cat...-ugc-tutorial/
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconman229 View Post
i've been working on the foundry (just came up for the first time since i started playing like 3 weeks ago) and when i went to make my map.... i couldn't do anything! could find a way to controlt he cameras... couldn't add affects like (Assimilate my captain or give my captain a Borg Appearance)... can't give your ship the Appearance of a borg cube!... i'm sure theres lots of other similar things you can't use either.

i'm dissapointed. Hope the... above mentioned things will be added some time in the future.
You are correct in that at this moment you cannot do anything that directly influences the look or vessel choice of another player. I do not know if this will be permanently or if this will eventually down the road be added as something a author can do. To say that the Foundry has nothing useful because your first idea doesn't work is going a tad far. I wonder how many Hollywood scripts are looked at and decided to be far too expensive to make for their returns. Sometimes you have to compromise your plans to fit the resources available, or else you wait until the time when the resources an be accessed. This is entirely your choice at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Quite right Cast, however I would add this: If your first idea doesn't work, don't just abandon it, refine it until it does work.

For example: You want the player to be a borg? Just cause you can't force them to look like a borg doesn't mean you can't put them in a borg interior map, have some dialogue saying they've been injected with borg nanites and then give them objectives to help, say, repair the cube alongside other borg. Maybe the plot could be that the assimilation didn't take, that the player is immune somehow and has to work out how to escape the cube. That's all perfectly doable in the foundry.
Lt. Commander
Here is what we do at the SF41 The Black Sheep Role players.

When we craft our Foundry missions from the shows we develop on our role playing sets, the foundry is quite limited in what you can do. For example, suppose you want to write a story where you have to join forces with Klingons to solve a difficult problem.

The first problem you will encounter is the game developers have decided that factions cannot mix.

Our solution around this is use the pvp tools in game to handle these types of scenes.

Use a stand-in actor to simulate a live fire action scene or sequence.

With the foundry, we write the story in a way that about 80 percent of it we can do with the foundry. Then we combine it with the mechanics of the PVE and PVP tools.

On our static stages or what we call 'dialog set' these are the regular in game interior sets. To do non-combat encounters like a love scene or two players playing a card game or an engineer having to fix warp drive or a medical officer finding a cure for a disease, we use the dice roll emote.

To coordinate from set to set in the show we use Ventrilo. The producers and directors on our show direct the role players on set with the Ventrilo tool.

To use cut scenes the director just tells the cast to tune into our Live Broadcast site and we can show our cut-scenes.

Also, when I write a story, I try to get out of the mode of thinking where 'will everyone like my story?'

I just write the story for what works for our shows. If other people like the story or not, then that is their choice to do so.

I do not think the Foundry is useless. I have written a couple of stories that I have never published. These are mainly my 'see if I can do this technique' stories. I use these unpublished shows to learn how to do certain techniques.

It took me a long time to learn how to do multiple story endings (three weeks) and figure out the mechanics behind dice rolling in the Foundry (about four hours).

If you have only been playing the overall game for a short time, then I am not sure how much technical knowledge you have with the foundry.

I use the weekly missions that are repeatable to go back and figure out how the game developers did certain techniques in the game to make puzzles.

This response started out as a concise idea, but has sort of turned into a mess .

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Dice rolling?

Is there a trick to randomize things in The Foundry? I thought I was pretty on top of things.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Dice rolling?

Is there a trick to randomize things in The Foundry? I thought I was pretty on top of things.
I set up a tool with the foundry to emulate dice rolls...

The characters in the game just have to use the /emote rolldice function which generates a random number between 1 and 100.

However when you set up your dialog tool, you have to do it in a way where the character won't be able to say, "well if I always pick the high numbers, I will always be successful."

What I do is I mix it up in the story so they never really know if the dice roll is a factor.

Also, I write the story in a way where the character then has to interpret the information and then apply it to the story. If you use this in conjunction with the multiple story ending method, then it is almost as close to a random generated system.

What I do is this. Before I explain it, it is hard to do with a linear format like a post here. So let me see if I can explain it.

First you set up your matrix with either a dialog prompt or a talk to contact prompt.

Then you set up your contact character. In my stories I actually have a actor or costume character as myself that I call the [gamemaster]. Which if you ever played a table top roleplaying game. It is very similar to that.

The players understand very earlier on in the story that this is a narrator or gamemaster that leads the player through the story. This is a useful device if you have to tell a story from several points of views.

I have the gamemaster (GM) basically tell the player like "Try to find out what is medically wrong with the patient using a medical scanner"

In our regular role play shows, this is easy to do because the gamemaster and player are both there and they can both type /em rolldice. In our normal show dice rolls have two factors: how much time is involved in the task, and how difficult it is to do.

So for example, the GM will say "you need 3 success at 25 to complete your task. If it is a simple task, 3 success at 50 if it is a hard task, and 3 success at 75 it is a harder task. In this system you can have a group of many engineers work together on one task like fix the warp drive, repair the hull after its been damage, or repair the shuttlecraft.

Or one person can do the task.

Now to do this with the foundry, you have two factors which confound this system: players can ultimate guess the outcome if you keep it to routine and players like to cheat their way through a story.

This is why I trick them.

So once you set up your gamemaster character they tell the player the conditions of the rolls. The a player types in /emote rolldice and a random number is generated in the game. Then you set up your dialog matrix so the player has to enter in the significant digits.

So like the player rolls /emote rolldice and gets 55 as a number, then that will be three significant digits. Since the dice generates a number between 000 and 100. you must set up your matrix so the player has to enter in three numbers, but one at a time.

Like on your first contact window in the Foundry you set up two buttons or three.

Then the next tier you set up ten buttons:

Then the next tier you set up ten buttons:

Once these three tiers are set up, you can as the writer pick which path you want to be the solution path.

I try to write the story in a way where there is never a complete success or failure. This way the player will never be able to guess the number or just simply type in 100.

To pull that off, you have to kind of think in terms of what is behind the door method. Just because a person does a job successfully does not mean the outcome of a situation will work in their favor. Also, sometimes a mistake can lead to great rewards.

In my one story Terror in the Patch Ch5 v1.4, this is the first story I have written where I actually incorporated dice rolls into the story. I went through several ideas of the tool with players and we walked through the story together. I find if you set it up with significant digits, it is simple on the player end to implement. The only complication to it is the back end part the writer has to do to set it up.

But, I think the only real hard factor of it is takes time to set up. But it uses a function the game already has, which is the /emote rolldice tool.

If the player cooperates with it, when they replay the mission several times, they will have a different experience by rolling dice. Also, the character in the game may be ab expert at warp drive or medical procedures, but the player does not have to be, nor the writer.

This last part is why you need to set your dialog up in a way that you leave out certain information for the player characters in the story. Or they gain more information.

When used with a 5 player team in the foundry, we find it is fun because then the whole group can do task, and not just one person to progress the story or plot.

Look at that story to see how it works in game play. That story there is also the first time I set up a multiple ending story. Although, I am still working on the alternate ending.

In Terror in the Patch, the story has by design 28 chapters. And it spans all the different Star Trek shows. The player in the story will span a time period of 4.5 million years. The story is also split between the two factions. So the story early on is simple, and through the series will become more complex. However, I have designed each chapter to be a playable story in themselves.