Lt. Commander
# 1 ship sizing proportions
08-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Hello,

Just wanted to note that someone in cryptic should take a look to ship sizes. Some of them have strange size compared to other smaller or bigger ships.

The best example is an excelsior compared to a delta shuttle. The Exceslsior is suposed to carry 750 ppl. If thats is true the delta flyer should carry around 80 ppl accordig to its size. Its like 1/6 more or less of the excelsior size, and that doesnt make sense for a shuttle that its suposed to be smaller than a runabout which is about 14m long. The size of the delta is like double the size of the excelsior shuttle bay.....

I know this is not a major issue but shuttles should probably be reduced in size to be proportional to the bigger ships.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2011, 12:57 AM
I guess it have something to do with model polygons and weapons

For example every model have XXX polygons to look nice but also there is game engine barrier of how many polygons your model can have to balance big battles for mid PC, if DF and Exel will be same size like in movies then Exel will just crush that polygon barrier, huge model with same texture tedail as little Delta.

And weapons, i think curret structure of them is like, every ship have hard point from where beam\cannon shoots but all beams and canons of same type use one model and texture, so if delta would be little ship then beam you fire will be just same diameter as ship, akward looking thing. If exel will be bigger then we go to my first point of polygon barrier. Solution to this could be just different models for weapons.

i can be wrong on both my points
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Shuttles are at a much larger scale than ships are. Ships are scaled correctly (for the most part) to each other, shuttles are scaled correctly (again, for the most part) to each other. Ships, shuttles, and background objects like space stations (DS9) and planets are NOT scaled correctly relative to each other.

Here is why. If shuttles were scaled relative to a Galaxy class cruiser, it would be smaller than the pixel resolution of your screen.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
Shuttles are at a much larger scale than ships are. Ships are scaled correctly (for the most part) to each other, shuttles are scaled correctly (again, for the most part) to each other. Ships, shuttles, and background objects like space stations (DS9) and planets are NOT scaled correctly relative to each other.

Here is why. If shuttles were scaled relative to a Galaxy class cruiser, it would be smaller than the pixel resolution of your screen.
QFT

Almost all of the ships are very well scaled in the game, for gameplay reasons, some map assets have to be scaled down/up (Still hoping they scale DS9 down a little bit so its closer to the correct size).