Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
For the longevity of the game & it's players: don't allow teams to match up against teams with more than 2X the number of premade members on the other side

(e.g. only a premade group of 2 could face a complete group of solo pug players, or a premade group of 3 could only face a team with at least a premade of 2, etc.)

I don't think this would would slow things down except for premades seeking out PUGs, who are the minority and barely playing the game anyway.

For STO to ignore this is as hazardous as solo PVPing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2011, 12:56 AM
PvP is a team mechanic, why should people that is good at teamplay, be punished for PUGs laziness?

There isnt a large enough population to support a split ques up, anyway.

Besides even if we *did* have population for it I could easily see a FvK que ending up like this:

KDF
5 players
5 players
5 players
5 players
5 players
5 players

Feds
1 player
1 player
2 player
2 player
2 player
2 players
4 players
4 players
3 players
3 players
3 players
4 players
3 players
3 players

(37/30) - 5/5
With nothing popping.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2011, 01:03 AM
I believe this would in fact greatly increase the PVP population by making better matches both for solo players and pre-made groups.

Under this mechanism only solo pugs+premades of 2 can fight together, and premades of 3-4 people can fight premades of 2-6*. Total players on each side would still be equal. It isn't really that limiting, especially if it brings back as many players as I think it will.

(*assuming 6 is allowed)
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 02:21 AM
I'd suggest Cryptic adds a total random cross faction PvP queue for Arena matches with the same teaming mechanics they implemented for C&H. This would be the perfect place for all those great PVE-Heroes to farm their emblems in a less "hostile" and professional environment. To add some flavour count only victories to the dailies to force them a) to learn the basic concepts of teamwork and b) improve their skills.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipG
I believe this would in fact greatly increase the PVP population by making better matches both for solo players and pre-made groups.
I think this purpose would be better served by a ladder system where players get a rating based on their win/loss numbers, and the matchmaking system sets up matches where the aggregate ratings on the two sides are reasonably close.

Also, this should be a single, "any faction vs. any faction" queue, to make sure no faction ends up waiting indefinitely with no appropriate opponents queuing up against them specifically. With teams balanced by skill level, it's really not a big issue, and it will have to be done anyway when a third faction is added (because it's a saner option than 6 queues for every match type).
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Quote:

Under this mechanism only solo pugs+premades of 2 can fight together, and premades of 3-4 people can fight premades of 2-6*. Total players on each side would still be equal. It isn't really that limiting, especially if it brings back as many players as I think it will.

(*assuming 6 is allowed)
Well im just back for 3 Days now but let me tell you ...the PvP *population* was decreasing the day STO launched ...currently im waiting several Hours to get enough players on both sides to get one ...in numbers "1" ...Game launching ...with the old problem like 5vs4 because someone didnt spawm into the game and all those nice stuff that was never fixed (well some months ago that wasnt that much of a problem because chances where high that during the first 1-2 min a 5th would join the game ,but not now). I honestly dont think there are many people left that care about pvp ,a handful of the old pvpers on both side are those that i usually encounter ...sure with 1-3 peeps that i dont know ,which maybe are just doing the daily pvp because they are low on emblems or what the current currency is. So most of the time you have to fight pugs anyway since there just isnt enough peeps to do a full premade. Btw ,pugging is more fun anyway as you never know with who you end up with and against ...but since Pugs are gone mostly ...
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Quote:
For the longevity of the game & it's players: don't allow teams to match up against teams with more than 2X the number of premade members on the other side

(e.g. only a premade group of 2 could face a complete group of solo pug players, or a premade group of 3 could only face a team with at least a premade of 2, etc.)

I don't think this would would slow things down except for premades seeking out PUGs, who are the minority and barely playing the game anyway.

For STO to ignore this is as hazardous as solo PVPing.
So what do you about teams formed through the OPvP channels and the such? Or are you saying a premade is any team formed outside of a match? What about the fleets out there that do not field a true "A" team premade but actually PuG from their own fleet is that really a premade or is it because we may be using something more reliable than Vivox or team chat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
So what do you about teams formed through the OPvP channels and the such? Or are you saying a premade is any team formed outside of a match? What about the fleets out there that do not field a true "A" team premade but actually PuG from their own fleet is that really a premade or is it because we may be using something more reliable than Vivox or team chat.
^^ I second this statement/response question.

It has gotten to the point of being, do I chance going totally PUG or do I wait for the 2 others in my fleet that work well together (love the TeamSpeak). If we get Rofflestomped becaus we arre pugging 2 more with us, so be it, but even a 15-0 does not mean a stomping, especially if we make the other team work for their score.

But I digress. The other factors in the whole pugging fiasco is simple a time zone. You get periods where there are certain people/fleets on and thats what they do around those times. Sometimes its going into a OPvP private arena, and others its taking your 5 man fleet group into the queues. If you are playing during those fleets prime time zones, then its going to merry hell

what to do? Find a fleet that pvps and get better Hold your own in the matches, attempt to rally your team and..dont take each 'death' personal.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Good suggestion PhilipG. But don't hold your breath. And don't expect the premade 'elite' to take it kindly. There are a lot of premade teams that are fun to battle with or against. But the few that run highly specialized exploit builds, useless on their own but deadly to PuGs, that expect, and sometimes demand, others do the same, that have run a lot of people away from PvP. Private matches have provided more control over matches at the expense of the public ques.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
Good suggestion PhilipG. But don't hold your breath. And don't expect the premade 'elite' to take it kindly. There are a lot of premade teams that are fun to battle with or against. But the few that run highly specialized exploit builds, useless on their own but deadly to PuGs, that expect, and sometimes demand, others do the same, that have run a lot of people away from PvP. Private matches have provided more control over matches at the expense of the public ques.
Yes and no most fleets do not have a true premade team that is used to curbstomp all teams. I believe those days are over I have yet to run across a fleet recently that uses the same 5 ships and capts from match to match. The closest my KDF fleet comes is recently where the same 4 guys team up all the time but 3 guys may be in a different ship each day or match.

Unfortunately the problem with PuGs are like a lot of the PvEers tha come here they really do not like PvP so really do not care if they win or lose or get curbstomped. I mean since S4 launched I have only gotten one person is couple hundred matches ask me for help and he is probably going to join my KDF fleet and maybe my Fed fleet because I took time to help him. The thing is PuGs need to ask questions because many here try to offer it and get called a lot of names we can't say on the forums.

The majrity of the PvP community want competitve matches and helping inexperienced PvPers allow for this.