Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
That much I give Cryptic: I don't expect to be banned for criticisim.
I didn't either but ... experiences led me to a different opinion of that former expectation of mine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I hope they make it a tier 3 instead would save the it is more powerful stuff and gives us an option to fly a proper ship and not a golfbal with an engineering hull glues on it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
08-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
I hope they make it a tier 2 instead would save the it is more powerful stuff and gives us an option to fly a proper ship and not a golfbal with an engineering hull glues on it.
Tier 3, you mean. Yes. Being able to fly the beautiful for two tiers... And with the Nova in the mix, I'd even try to start hosting Tier 3 VA PvP tournaments. The sweet spot in powers available to every ship, and some of the best looking ships in the game then. Oh, well, Cruiser pilots might not actually like the Quad-Nacelles ships, but I like them, and if not, they can still get the Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Tier 3, you mean. Yes. Being able to fly the beautiful for two tiers... And with the Nova in the mix, I'd even try to start hosting Tier 3 VA PvP tournaments. The sweet spot in powers available to every ship, and some of the best looking ships in the game then. Oh, well, Cruiser pilots might not actually like the Quad-Nacelles ships, but I like them, and if not, they can still get the Excelsior.
Yeah tier 3 indeed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Another Delay? IT say 17th on the Calendar still...but nothing in C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atswin
Another Delay? IT say 17th on the Calendar still...but nothing in C-Store.
It says "17th - 19th" in the calendar, meaning it could be any of those days. Given Wishstone stated the full transfer over to PWI wouldn't be completed until after 8/18/11; I'd wager you won't see it up on the C--Store until late tomorrow (the 18th) after the full transfer is finaized, or the 19th.

But, we'll see.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
08-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't do this very often as I am a critic as well but:

Consider this: Cryptic has/is delivering the product they said they would, and in a timely fashion compared to other MMO's for the size of the staff they currently have. They care about our actual feedback and not some full fledged agenda of their own.

Also about the "optional" ships they put on the store or are attainable in game via emblems, are side projects to the main episodial content they provide. We don't need an excelsior or working MVAM escort to play the game and do the episodes. We could still have the same ships we had at launch with no visual tweaks and still be able to accomplish all missions as intended.

You don't understand that it is Cryptic that is throwing us the bone here and giving us something neat to play with. We don't need a photonic displacer, or even a borg, breen, agis sets to do our missions. All of these things we take for grant it, have been done solely for our enjoyment. They could strip that all away from us in the blink of an eye, then you would realize how pampered we already are.

This complaining about items costing money and should be free needs to stop. If I wanted an all chrome custom exhaust system or a spoiler for my car I wouldn't expect Ford to provide it free of charge, I would pay for it because it is an upgrade or toy for me to have. These extra ships are just that. They are additional options we can apply to our characters/accounts at our leisure. We are not forced to pay for them at all. If you do not want them, don't buy them.

Hats off to Captain Logan and Thomas the Cat for doing these incredible ships for us volenteerly, then taking the care to go back and make them "perfect" for the "canon nazi." I was fine with my Soverign having a blue deflector, its nice that they gave it the correct one but it definitely isn't necessary for me to have fun with it.

Some of us pay real money to get these extra toy's to play with. If we're going to spend real money then of course we would want them to do something special, to get out money's worth. It's very thoughtful that Dan Stahl has fought to get player's the ability to earn the ships by just playing the game. If we spend money that we go to RL work for, then you should have to work for your ship's as well.

And about the balance issues, those that spend extra money and time in their sport or hobby, are usually better equipped on the field. Any one that has played PVP or a played a competitive sport knows that more time and money invested, usually produces more of an advantage and better results. Instead of buying a New york strip for dinner, I'm buying a ship that will last me longer then 30 minutes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
08-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ID
I don't do this very often as I am a critic as well but:

Consider this: Cryptic has/is delivering the product they said they would, and in a timely fashion compared to other MMO's for the size of the staff they currently have. They care about our actual feedback and not some full fledged agenda of their own.

Also about the "optional" ships they put on the store or are attainable in game via emblems, are side projects to the main episodial content they provide. We don't need an excelsior or working MVAM escort to play the game and do the episodes. We could still have the same ships we had at launch with no visual tweaks and still be able to accomplish all missions as intended.

You don't understand that it is Cryptic that is throwing us the bone here and giving us something neat to play with. We don't need a photonic displacer, or even a borg, breen, agis sets to do our missions. All of these things we take for grant it, have been done solely for our enjoyment. They could strip that all away from us in the blink of an eye, then you would realize how pampered we already are.

This complaining about items costing money and should be free needs to stop. If I wanted an all chrome custom exhaust system or a spoiler for my car I wouldn't expect Ford to provide it free of charge, I would pay for it because it is an upgrade or toy for me to have. These extra ships are just that. They are additional options we can apply to our characters/accounts at our leisure. We are not forced to pay for them at all. If you do not want them, don't buy them.

Hats off to Captain Logan and Thomas the Cat for doing these incredible ships for us volenteerly, then taking the care to go back and make them "perfect" for the "canon nazi." I was fine with my Soverign having a blue deflector, its nice that they gave it the correct one but it definitely isn't necessary for me to have fun with it.

Some of us pay real money to get these extra toy's to play with. If we're going to spend real money then of course we would want them to do something special, to get out money's worth. It's very thoughtful that Dan Stahl has fought to get player's the ability to earn the ships by just playing the game. If we spend money that we go to RL work for, then you should have to work for your ship's as well.

And about the balance issues, those that spend extra money and time in their sport or hobby, are usually better equipped on the field. Any one that has played PVP or a played a competitive sport knows that more time and money invested, usually produces more of an advantage and better results. Instead of buying a New york strip for dinner, I'm buying a ship that will last me longer then 30 minutes.
QFT!! The car and sports analogy works well here. Ultimately, it really is about options and personal taste--even in PVP. It's a good reminder that as a company, and a business unit, Cryptic's employees are simply doing what every company does--empowering the customer with choice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't call the tier 2 Rhode Island pay to win, but to be honest, this has allready happened with the tier 1 ships such as the oberth being more powerful than the starter ship you get...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
08-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Just feel as if I should add something here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ID
And about the balance issues, those that spend extra money and time in their sport or hobby, are usually better equipped on the field. Any one that has played PVP or a played a competitive sport knows that more time and money invested, usually produces more of an advantage and better results. Instead of buying a New york strip for dinner, I'm buying a ship that will last me longer then 30 minutes.
There are two major points to consider here: First of, the game may be considered to be a spot where one's income should not play as much of a role as it does in real life, and even in sports you usually only invest your money once instead of continuously whenever a new tennis racket gets thrown onto the market. Furthermore, I would say that there is a big threat of making money matter more than time - there are no bows whose arrows have a homing function in archery, after all, but here we can get distinctive advantages that may override pure skill.

If we draw a comparison to other very expensive hobbies like tabletop, there's still balance. Spending more money may give you more options and bigger armies, but in the end the rules still limit you to use just as many points as your opponent, so the games remain fair. We do not have such a point-system in STO, though.

Secondly, and perhaps even more importantly, is that such a philosophy may result in an arms race in that those who want to stay competitive have to buy better and better equipment for real money. Not only would this widen the gap between players even more, it would also force people to fly a ship that they perhaps do not even want just because it's superior.

In an ideal world, I think all ships of a specific tier+category should be equal, with only cosmetic differences, and additional options for customization (such as different hull designs) being offered in the C-Store.

And I say this by already having purchased C-Store ships, just so you know I'm not talking as "one of dem poor blokes". :b

Perhaps my "style over substance" mentality is a bit misplaced in PvP, but I would find it sad if my Klingon would get forced out of it entirely just because I no longer have a chance with a ship that I favour but which isn't the "flavor of the month" and not the current peak in terms of advantages. That damn nerfed B'rel is hard enough to keep from breaking apart as it is. :p

As for the Refit Nova's tier - T3 and T5 already being "occupied" by the Nebula is a good point. Personally, I would also be satisfied with a T4 Rhode Island.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:40 AM.