Lt. Commander
# 1 Vice Admiral
08-10-2011, 06:12 AM
After just two months in the game (but playing like crazy), I have supposedly made Vice Admiral (despite still feeling like a newbie). However, as I have now "reached the maximum rank and grade, points will go towards my officers pool rather than my own abilities". Consequently, my question is this: how do I actually upgrade (I'm currently "Rear admiral upper half 6", and how then can I add to skills in my skill tree on the rightmost columns, where there are still all sorts of abilities I haven't even begun to try out? Also, how would I get my promotion so that I can retrofit my ship?
Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2011, 06:22 AM
You need to spend your skill points so that there are none left (72700). They increased the skill cap ages ago from lv41 to lv51 so you'll find you can spend extra points in tiers 1-5. You''ll have hit VA1 so you can go to Quin and get your ship token to buy a new T5 ship. This practice is the same as what you did to get to RA UH6.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2011, 06:24 AM
During your progression to VA, you earned several Re-Spec Tokens. One at Each Up-Grade if I am not mistaken.

There should be a Training Officer, (I think in the middle of ESD), the center Hub. Talk to them for a Re-Spec, and you can Move all of your Points around so they improve some abilities, while diminishing others.

I have seen it posted that there is no reason to go above 7 on any training item as it is considered a *waste of points to do so. (*As posted by several players on the forum)
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 06:24 AM
1) You should have gotten a promotion "quest" by Admiral Quinn, requiring you to head back to Earth Space Dock and visit his bureau. (You should have needed to do this every time you gained a new Starfleet rank.) This way, you'll actually become Vice Admiral.
If you didn't get this mission, make sure you spent all your skill points. It is possible that you acutally can't do that, for example when you trained all Tier 1 and Tier 2 skills to maximum. Unfortunately, this will force you to respec so you can reshuffle some skill points. (See below for respecs.) This is a known and kinda awkward issue.

2) As you finish the promotion mission from Quinn, you should gain a retrofit token. This allows you to buy one of the Vice Admiral retrofits.

3) You cannot max out all skills, you need to make choices on what you want to be able to do and what is less important to you. Over time, you should have gotten respec tokens as you levelled, allowing you to change your skill selection to try out new builds. More can be acquired vie Merits or via the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes, a big thank you to all those who offered advice. I went to the training officer in the centre of Sol base, and moved around some skill points, and... voilą! I am now officially a vice admiral. It says I'm VA level 1; are there any levels beyond that? Put another way, what would I have to do to promote some of my staff from commander to captain (and thus unlock new skill sets for them)?
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren_Kincaid
Yes, a big thank you to all those who offered advice. I went to the training officer in the centre of Sol base, and moved around some skill points, and... voilą! I am now officially a vice admiral. It says I'm VA level 1; are there any levels beyond that? Put another way, what would I have to do to promote some of my staff from commander to captain (and thus unlock new skill sets for them)?

Commander is the highest rank available to your bridge officers which gives them access to 4 space and 4 ground skills. There is no advancement beyond that at this point.

Commander is also the highest Bridge officer station on a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvyn View Post
Commander is the highest rank available to your bridge officers which gives them access to 4 space and 4 ground skills. There is no advancement beyond that at this point.

Commander is also the highest Bridge officer station on a ship.
Oh, I see. Thank you. So what's with all the other putative skills on the BOff skills tree? Are they just for decoration?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
What other skills?? They only have 4 space and 4 ground skills.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
What other skills?? They only have 4 space and 4 ground skills.
You can change their individual Skills at ESD with the BOFF Skill Trainer.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren_Kincaid
Oh, I see. Thank you. So what's with all the other putative skills on the BOff skills tree? Are they just for decoration?
There are enough skills available (not counting the level I/II/III variants of each) to fill the skill slots of about 3 officers of each career path. Now that you have reached the level cap, you will have a lot more Bridge Officer points available, so my personal suggestion would be to acquire additional Bridge Officers (you can get Blue ones on the Exchange for a decent price) and train them in a variety of abilities. That way, you can get officers of various sub-specialties within each career path.

For example, you might want one Science Officer who specializes in healing skills (Hazard Emitters, Science Team, Medical Tricorder, etc.), and another who specializes in debuffs (Tachyon Beam, Tractor Beam, Dampening Field, Hyperonic Radiation, etc.). Or you might want one Tactical Officer specializing in Cannon abilities (Cannon Rapid Fire and Cannon Scatter Shot), while another specializes in Beam abilities (Beam Fire At Will and Beam Overload).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar_Searcher
I have seen it posted that there is no reason to go above 7 on any training item as it is considered a *waste of points to do so. (*As posted by several players on the forum)
The 8th and 9th level in most player skills provide diminishing returns (usually half as much of a skill increase as levels 6-7 did). Thus, given the fact that you can never have enough skill points to max out everything, you may want to spend the points on some other skill instead.

However, some skills do unlock the ability to train a Bridge Officer in an advanced skill if you max it out and are of the correct career path (e.g. a Tactical captain can train a Tactical Bridge Officer in Torpedo High Yield III if said captain has the Ship Torpedo Weapons skill maxed out). You may want to max out the categories that you want to train your Bridge Officers in and train them as a one-time deal, and then respec afterward.