Lt. Commander
# 1 Problem with Coliseum
08-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Caution: Spoilers

I've been suffering through the ground segments of the Cloaked Intentions series. I've made it to the Coliseum mission, broken out of the Arena and am now running through a desert wasteland with my partner complaining that he's tired and needs a place to rest. So i plow though more of this crap and find a nice cave. The problem is that this particular cave doesn't exhibit that STO scanner glow and isn't the exact spot that some level designer at Cryptic decided to put the plot trigger at, so therefore this whining NPC refuses to rest in it. The worst part is that I'll be back at this cave when the route, routine game decides to move the story along. This is just the latest out of many complaints with this FE but it is so far the only thats stumped me.

Now, im sorry to dump this gripe right here on the forums like a mewling child, but I've really given this S4 ground overhaul and the FE system a fair shake. I was really really hoping to be wrong in my opinions about Cryptic but this work is just really shoddy. I mean, come on, I'm trying to have fun here and solving algebra problems, debugging a broken computer network and running through a trackless boring desert sounds like lazy craftsmanship to me. Picard never had to deal with this crap.

I know already that this is just my opinion and lots of people are gonna tell me how much they enjoyed it or how i need to L2play. Yes, i know that im a terrible player and that STO is the greatest game in the world, to you [/sarcasm]. But at least admit that this Featured Episode needs some of improvement.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endariok View Post
Caution: Spoilers

I've been suffering through the ground segments of the Cloaked Intentions series. I've made it to the Coliseum mission, broken out of the Arena and am now running through a desert wasteland with my partner complaining that he's tired and needs a place to rest. So i plow though more of this crap and find a nice cave. The problem is that this particular cave doesn't exhibit that STO scanner glow and isn't the exact spot that some level designer at Cryptic decided to put the plot trigger at, so therefore this whining NPC refuses to rest in it. The worst part is that I'll be back at this cave when the route, routine game decides to move the story along. This is just the latest out of many complaints with this FE but it is so far the only thats stumped me.

Now, im sorry to dump this gripe right here on the forums like a mewling child, but I've really given this S4 ground overhaul and the FE system a fair shake. I was really really hoping to be wrong in my opinions about Cryptic but this work is just really shoddy. I mean, come on, I'm trying to have fun here and solving algebra problems, debugging a broken computer network and running through a trackless boring desert sounds like lazy craftsmanship to me. Picard never had to deal with this crap.

I know already that this is just my opinion and lots of people are gonna tell me how much they enjoyed it or how i need to L2play. Yes, i know that im a terrible player and that STO is the greatest game in the world, to you [/sarcasm]. But at least admit that this Featured Episode needs some of improvement.
Do you mean he is sitting on the ground just outside the colliseum saying he is tired? The only time it would be necessary to go to the cave is after you heal him and collect all of the things you need to stay the night in the cave.

Make sure all of your objectives are complete. What is your career?

Also, Starfleet officers solved math problems all the time and had to endure harsher conditions than running around in the desert at night.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2011, 04:32 PM
He didn't just sit, he followed me all the way to the cave and back. I finally found the items the enfeebled Reman needed after scouring a desert wasteland and now im out of play time. What im complaining about isn't spending the time in the game i chose to play, im complaining that that time was spent running around boring environments searching for arbitrary time sinks that had no bearing on the plot or gameplay value.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
He didn't just sit, he followed me all the way to the cave and back. I finally found the items the enfeebled Reman needed after scouring a desert wasteland and now im out of play time. What im complaining about isn't spending the time in the game i chose to play, im complaining that that time was spent running around boring environments searching for arbitrary time sinks that had no bearing on the plot or gameplay value.
You do realize you could have just hit the M key, looked at your map - zoomed the map if need be - and saw the circles where the healing items were at? That section of the mission takes only a couple of minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you missed one or more of the objectives earlier on. When doing the missions you MUST look at the mission objective screen to know what to do next. You hide from the Scorpion overhead, make medicine for him (while he's tired) and then go to the caves.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
"Coliseum" remains one of my favorite missions currently in-game. There is a bit of running around in the second half of the story, true, but the environment is designed so beautifully, the level features such exposition and such dramatic moments, it includes such entertaining puzzles... Personally, I feel this one is unforgettable.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd like to add that if you believe there is a gameplay bug it should be added to the appropriate forum, not the general forum.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I did look at the map, perhaps that was my first mistake, i should have been looking for the random glowing tree. After that the individual items were easy to find (why did they have to be scattered on opposite sides of the map?).
Then Slamek suggested that i run through the valley, which i had already done twice, i got all the way to the end and the game tells to go talk to Slamek again...way back at the beginning of the valley. He followed me the first two time i made this trip, why couldn't he follow this time? Now , and not before now; i get to collect water and provisions. Which i remember checking out the other 4 times i've run through this valley and thinking 'I bet i'll need that later' but ofcourse couldn't interact with then.

All this seems just constricting and obtuse. If i wasn't being lead around by the nose i might even be able to enjoy the beautiful environment and moon in the distant sky or appreciate the situation of being trapped in a desert and being forced to improvise medicines and shelter.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Well it has nothing to do with ground combat changes. I've run that several times since season 4 began and have not had a single issue with the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
I did look at the map, perhaps that was my first mistake, i should have been looking for the random glowing tree.
The mission text tells suggests to you to look for glowing items around you that might help him. Once you discover the 3 items it then advances the mission to finding enough of those items to make a healing potion for him. The failure there was that you didn't bother to read or pay attention to the initial text. No one's blaming you for that, but that's not the game's fault. That's your fault.

Quote:
After that the individual items were easy to find (why did they have to be scattered on opposite sides of the map?).
Why does anything have to make you go anywhere for it? So that you can use the running time to look at the map and environment around you. A game isn't just about getting objectives. The travel time is your way to experience the world they have placed you in.

Quote:
All this seems just constricting and obtuse. If i wasn't being lead around by the nose i might even be able to enjoy the beautiful environment and moon in the distant sky or appreciate the situation of being trapped in a desert and being forced to improvise medicines and shelter.
This mission chain is generally considered to be quite good. I would say you are in the minority here - though I think most of your problems stem for you missing key text points that then soured the mission for you.