Lt. Commander
# 11
08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
My understanding of cursor drag is that it stems from video memory issues: the card just can't keep up with everything on screen and eventually slows down causing the mouse to trail across the screen. At that point you're basically needing to restart to clear the memory.
Not just Video memory. It can also stem from the virtual memory on a system being used up. This is the case with older systems, and a large number of vista systems. Run Msconfig and disable all unnessiory programs (you'd be supprised how many there are), this should free up the system for you. I highly doubt this is a bug, a mouse cursor is almost always left to the control of the OS.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Yeh happens to me too on occasion,every case i can think of was during pvp.Happened with my old ati card,HD 4850, almost every two match's .Might still happen on occasion,although only once or twice if at all, with my new Nvidia,GTX 560 Ti.Both cards had reasonable amount of ram (512 on-board for both cards and 4Gb of system)

To fix it ill just slid the max lights per object slider down and that would fix it,could then slid it back up again.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
strange... my memory never runs low in STO? (8 GB Ram + 1GB VRam never seems to get full)

anyway i have a complete different theory on this

what you see is simply the Hardware AND Software Cursor at the same time

you can switch between both versions in the troubleshooting options, one of them is lagging behind and the other one is spot on.

When you see 2 mouse cursors you just happen to see both of them at the same time.

You don't need to quit the game to get it back to normal,
just open any window (mission log for example) and resize the window / drag left / right icon appears -> cursor goes back to normal instantly.

works every time!
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
strange... my memory never runs low in STO? (8 GB Ram + 1GB VRam never seems to get full)

anyway i have a complete different theory on this

what you see is simply the Hardware AND Software Cursor at the same time

you can switch between both versions in the troubleshooting options, one of them is lagging behind and the other one is spot on.

When you see 2 mouse cursors you just happen to see both of them at the same time.

You don't need to quit the game to get it back to normal,
just open any window (mission log for example) and resize the window / drag left / right icon appears -> cursor goes back to normal instantly.

works every time!
That is what ive been trying to tell them all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
This is very much what happened in every case that we have seen this as well. Once memory runs low (and that can happen quickly if other stuff is running, you should see my two monitors here at work) the cursor will start trailing. I do not have the details on this, but I will move this thread into the graphics section of the forums, maybe someone else can provide more information on this.

Respectfully, this is absolutely not related to 'lack of vid/sys' memory. This is clearly a bug showing both the hardware cursor and the software cursor at the same time. It popups instantly when certain circumstances arises.

(This situation clearly shows your 'original' cursor is still running smooth, and another 'laggy' cursor seems to duplicate your mouse movements on a short delay.

On top of that, ive tried to make a screenshot of it, and its almost like photographing a ghost, you do not see it on the screenshot. So either the Hardware or Software 'trailing' cursor doesnt like to be photographed. Sounds to me like its in some other kind of framebuffer or whatever.

Ive also switched manually to the software and hardware cursor under troubleshooting, and both cursors react the same way as when this bug shows up, Software cursor makes ur cursor laggy, hardware cursor makes the cursor smooth and responsive. (And this particular bug seems to be spawning a software cursor behind the hardware cursor on some occasions). This is something where developers should look at. Its a logical explanation; Hardware cursor doesnt slow down by FPS, a software cursor slows down depending on your actual FPS. This problem can be redeemed by just screweing around with the cursor option under troubleshooting, but its really annoying.

Read closely as to what the Topic starter said, Another cursor is follow his real mouse cursor. He's not talking about his cursor getting laggy or jerky or lagging.

I think people are confusing two things in this thread, normal cursor lag due to low video/system memory, and a different kind of cursor lag. This bug has been around since ive begun playing this game, in december. Ive made numberous bug reports about this and it never got fixed. Logically since this double mouse cursor problem only pop ups in rare occasions it seems.