Lt. Commander
# 31
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonoa View Post
Typing GG, itís a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I know why players do it, much like shaking hands after a sporting game.

To me a "good" game should just be that, not a stomping. I normally just dont say anything or if I do I thank them for playing.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I do type GG but normally when it was a close match and everyone seemed to be working hard on winning and having fun.
It's always a GG when fighting the family. You, mel, and several others are feisty basterds.
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm a klingon at heart- win, lose, it matters not as long as there is glorious battle!

even the losing team has members who's courage, valor, and efforts stand out even in a 0-15 match.
recognize them, for when they all end up on the same team it will be a glorious battle!

I never say anything mean.
I am not afraid to compliment someone who has just done something awesome even if they are an opponant.
not afraid to laugh at the funny stuff either. it is about fun anyway.

GG - seems too generic

exciting game!
Thanks for the battle!
cya next round?

awesome Damage" Mortok!"
great heals "The Game" (sometimes i remember more...just can't type fast enough before they leave..)
Great shooting!

Lt. Commander
# 33
08-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I believe "gg" is just being polite for the most part. Sure people say gg more often when they win, but I think it tends to mean "I had fun" rather than "we totally pwned u nubs."

"gg" for me has always meant something like 'I acknowledge your presence and effort' but a lot of people ended up thinking it was an insult. I used to say it all the time because that's what I've done in most previous games I've played (Starcraft is where I learned it), but I realized I play so many matches that there should be criteria for saying 'gg' so it doesn't lose its polite meaning.

Lately I've only been saying 'gg' for games where either side could have won (e.g. when an arena score is within 5 points difference). Saying it after your team facerolls the other side is more often construed as gloating.

In the end, I think people should embrace 'gg' as just standard internet gaming etiquette, regardless of the match outcome.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
If I say GG at the end of a match it simply means... I just kicked your backside hard hahaha.

I am joking of course. It means thanks for the match, I likely had fun, if I didn't it was likely because it is the 3 thousandth time I have looked at that cracked planet. lol

Really people need to relax.... GG folks. Most of them really are too.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
If you're as bad at PvP as you say you are, maybe that's why they are 'yelling' at you. There's a difference between not being the best, and simply being terrible (aka. greedy zombie cruisers who don't throw out heals probably deserve to be yelled at)
Sorry but just because someone is bad at it is no excuse to yell at him. No matter how bad or egoistic the player is. Maybe he just started PvPing and until now only soloed the PvE content. Do you really think such a guy has (for example) Extend Shields on his cruiser? For those PvPing all the time it is easy to forget how hard even the basics can be for someone just starting the game. Yelling at him or being nasty will not persuade him PvP again. And we can need every PvPer who at least tries to learn.

For example some time ago I tried PvP in GW. Granted I was a total noob (had the game maybe one week) and my build was so suboptimal it wasn't even funny. Anyway after my first match the people I fought with/against were... let's just say they were not very friendly. Since then I haver never again PvPed in GW and I don't plan to try it ever again.

Instead of yelling it would be much more useful to give advice.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Sometimes I give advice, sometimes I yell, and sometimes I yell advice. The later two usually reserved for zombie cruisers that don't share heals
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
If you're as bad at PvP as you say you are, maybe that's why they are 'yelling' at you. There's a difference between not being the best, and simply being terrible (aka. greedy zombie cruisers who don't throw out heals probably deserve to be yelled at)
Going by Wishy's comments, I think it's more likely she is just flying an ineffectice build - nothing zombie about it. Such people don't get yelled at, though, usually. They are given tips, sometimes even by the opposition.

At least that's my experience. I don't of course know what nasty tells other people send.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Well.. I rarely use it, unless I honestly feel it was a good game..
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-12-2011, 03:59 AM
I tend to see it as courteous to at least say *something* for their time.

If it wasn't a good game, I tend to say "thanks for game all"
Otherwise, if it was, i'll throw out a GG, even thrown out a few VGG!!!'s in my time.

I'll go one further, I almost always say GLA HF (good luck all, have fun) at the start of matches too, not something I see from others generally.
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-12-2011, 04:18 AM
When I played Starfleet Command I used to always say "GG" at the end, win or lose; I occasionally played a bit of Bridge Commander until a few months ago and used the "GG" as well. But then again, in those games it's impossible to completely faceroll opponents, unless they're at their very first games.

I quickly lost the habit on STO, unless the match was a really good one. If it's one of the usual 15-0 or 14-1, I find it to be quite rude if you're on the winning side, and quite irritating if you're on the losing one. What's good in blowing up clueless full-impulsing fools or being insta-blown up afterall?

I know some of you guys mean to be respectful and polite, just the way I would be, but saying "GG" after facerolling somebody will feel like "haha, pwnd U!"