Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
I think 4-10 more years aught to do the trick.
Good luck getting a chance to talk to the CBS janitor, let alone a suit to pitch your story. Unless you can become a famous author/screenwriter overnight, you'll have better luck doing fan-flicks to present your Trek series to the world than getting CBS to invest in an unknown storyteller.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12 The Enterprise F is canon
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
It already is canon. Cryptic got CBS's approval to run with it. If CBS approved it to bear their trademark for the Enterprise namesake then it is canon. No other way around it. CBS own all things Trek, and when they gave STO and Cryptic to use the name and designation U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F it became canon. No one other than the executives at CBS can say otherwise. So there you have it folks. the new Enterprise -F is CANON and those of you that still say it isn't I have just 2 things to say....


FIRST OFF= ARE YOU ON THE BOARD OF CBS?
SECOND= IF NOT THEN SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND QUIT WHINING BECAUSE THERE AIN'T A DANG THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
08-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomikey111
It already is canon. Cryptic got CBS's approval to run with it. If CBS approved it to bear their trademark for the Enterprise namesake then it is canon. No other way around it. CBS own all things Trek, and when they gave STO and Cryptic to use the name and designation U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F it became canon. No one other than the executives at CBS can say otherwise. So there you have it folks. the new Enterprise -F is CANON and those of you that still say it isn't I have just 2 things to say....


FIRST OFF= ARE YOU ON THE BOARD OF CBS?
SECOND= IF NOT THEN SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND QUIT WHINING BECAUSE THERE AIN'T A DANG THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
I think you're missing the point to my question. I know it's canon, but I'm wondering if we will see a TV episode with the F in the Prime universe, one that isn't sexed up and dumbed down as Abram's is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
08-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
You say that like it will be easy. Remember, Enterprise did have its share of hardcore fans. And admittedly, there are a couple bits of it I did like. Mainly the mirror universe episode, because the mirror Archer isn't a wide-eyed optimist - he's cold and calculating, and that's definately a good thing. (Plus it gave Vaughn Armstrong some more screentime after they killed off the prime universe's Forrest, and let's face it, he's a damn cool guy.)
I don't think you understand the basis of Star Trek or UFoP; it's founded in the idea of a utopian mindset; of course the founding "father" of UFoP is going to be as you say "wide-eyed". Personally, while I didn't like how they tried to sex up the show, I enjoyed the other parts, especially when they started to tie in other Prime universe lore.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
08-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Memories are long in the entertainment business. It regularly takes decades for a failure to be forgotton. Battlestar Galactica took twenty years to bounce back from Galactica 1980, and a lot of the things people dislike about movies today and blame casual moviegoers for are the result of Hollywood hamstringing itself for two generations over mistakes that nearly destroyed it in the 60's. A new Star Trek TV series is going to be a hard sell for a very long time.
Let's get this straight "Galactica 1980" NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Edit: darn spelling!!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
08-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomikey111
It already is canon. Cryptic got CBS's approval to run with it. If CBS approved it to bear their trademark for the Enterprise namesake then it is canon. No other way around it. CBS own all things Trek, and when they gave STO and Cryptic to use the name and designation U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F it became canon. [...]
No, it didn't. You're confusing canon with licensed work. The two are not the same. Cryptic Studios has a license from CBS Studios to use the Star Trek name and play in the universe. It is the very nature of licensed work that there are numerous issues that always have to be met with approval by the property owner.

Considering the prime universe is almost assuredly over as far as movies and television are concerned, there's no harm in allowing one of the many licensees to create a 1701-F. I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest that the 1701-F is canon, as canon requires it to actually be on screen. STO is merely one licensed continuity; nothing in it is canon, except what has previously been established by the various television series and movies.

For a pertinent example: CBS Studios allowed Pocket Books to give the name USS Titan to a new ship design chosen by Pocket's Trek editors after a similar contest to this Enterprise-F one. That does not, however, mean that it is canon that the Titan is either or both A) Luna-class or B) looks like Sean Tourangeau's design, as neither were established on-screen. It merely means that, as a licensee, Pocket had to have approval from CBS Studios to move forward with those ideas.

I highly suggest you gain an understanding of the differences between canon and licensed work, as you are obviously woefully lost on the issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
08-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I still have a problem with CBS owning all rights to a series of shows that at one time or another, were on NBC, UPN, and in random places in syndication, but has never been a CBS show. I know why it is, I just don't like it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogobstopper
No, it didn't. You're confusing canon with licensed work. The two are not the same. Cryptic Studios has a license from CBS Studios to use the Star Trek name and play in the universe. It is the very nature of licensed work that there are numerous issues that always have to be met with approval by the property owner.

Considering the prime universe is almost assuredly over as far as movies and television are concerned, there's no harm in allowing one of the many licensees to create a 1701-F. I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest that the 1701-F is canon, as canon requires it to actually be on screen. STO is merely one licensed continuity; nothing in it is canon, except what has previously been established by the various television series and movies.

For a pertinent example: CBS Studios allowed Pocket Books to give the name USS Titan to a new ship design chosen by Pocket's Trek editors after a similar contest to this Enterprise-F one. That does not, however, mean that it is canon that the Titan is either or both A) Luna-class or B) looks like Sean Tourangeau's design, as neither were established on-screen. It merely means that, as a licensee, Pocket had to have approval from CBS Studios to move forward with those ideas.

I highly suggest you gain an understanding of the differences between canon and licensed work, as you are obviously woefully lost on the issue.
You bring up good points, are you certain it's just licensed? I probably assumed it was canon since CBS OK'd it.

I surely hope you are wrong about Prime universe being over, there's so much more that could take place.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOgden View Post
...I'm wondering if we will see a TV episode...that isn't sexed up and dumbed down as ENTERPRISE was.
Fixed.


10/chars
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOgden View Post
You bring up good points, are you certain it's just licensed? I probably assumed it was canon since CBS OK'd it.
It's licensed no matter what, of course; a license holder always approves what the licensee does. However, it's not canon unless CBS Studios specifically says it is. They have not, so it is not. (For an example, Gene Roddenberry once declared that The Animated Series was not canon; however, CBS Studios now treats it as such.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOgden View Post
I surely hope you are wrong about Prime universe being over, there's so much more that could take place.
Since I'm not a fan of the Abramsverse (it's not Trek, damnit; it's a Michael Bay-ified version of Trek), I too would like to hope that the prime universe isn't finished. However, the overwhelming success of ST09 has likely ensured that all "canon" moving forward (until the next reboot, whenever that may occur) will take place within the alternate universe.

The current novel continuity is my personal "canon" so far as the prime universe is concerned.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.