Lt. Commander
# 501
08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I would like to see a change to the bind system, change it to bound to handle, instead of character.
Lt. Commander
# 502
08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
[QUOT1E=QuanManChu]I'll take a draught of that....wait hey...I didn't say drought, I said draught......[/quote]

FUNNY! LOL
Lt. Commander
# 503
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Seems like they are just pumping out new uniforms and ship variants to get ur cash, And not focusing on new content. What a shame!
Lt. Commander
# 504
08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I think you are confused. STO is not a F2P game; it costs $15 every month to play. Nothing you get in game is "free".
Sorry, I should have clarified.

Free as in I'm not shelling out more money for an expansion, like WoW, SWG, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 505
08-14-2011, 08:29 PM
This is the part where I apologize I was just going overboard but I actually understand what Cryptic has gone through and hard to compare apples to oranges so I am sorry about that plus on the note that everything I complained about wasn't acknowledged as being understood on the forums but with the fix the b'rel in sorties, the hargh'peng torps being given to the KDF, and the discussion of putting in an idea I had about torpedos that hone in on cloaked ships. Yet again I sincerely apologize like everyone else I have been looking forward to this new discussed content. Side note though I am hoping by time the homing torpedos go in that we have a slightly more advantage on that cloak because that 3 second window can get you roasted when you have 30+ federation players spamming fire all weapons at any enemy that pops up (with that many players just be easy and heal the guy I'm targeting, no need to go Jim Kirk on me LOL). After the fact though I am really happy we can finally do our patrols with this ship unlike before there was not a torpedo in the game available to us that lets us do our patrols the way the hargh'peng does.

Have Fun Everyone
Lt. Commander
# 506
08-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypigion
I have a suggestion in response to this question that was in the August "Ask Cryptic" that might help get playable androids into the game, or at least help serve to satisfy CBS's concerns regarding Data's uniqueness/rarity.

My suggestion would be the introduction of a "Maddox-Type" of Android species, created by Bruce Maddox. My thinking is that in the thirty years that have passed since TNG, would it not be reasonable to think that Maddox and Data may have made a breakthrough in cybernetics to allow the creation of a new sentient android species?

I'm thinking it could be something like an emerging culture, with the androids still not quite on the same level of sophistication as Data, but given a chance to develop by the Federation much the same way that Data was earlier on in the TNG series.

Similar in mental capacity and understanding to say, Lal, or "Encounter at Farpoint" Era Data.

Simply put, compare 2409 Data (or at least the latest version of him) to "Encounter at Farpoint" Data and you can see that there is a significant difference in the level of sophistication and development.

I think that could similarly be applied to a new species without making Data any less unique.

It would also be a nice tie in continuity wise.

Just a thought.
I think that's a great idea. Also, considering how arrogant Maddox was, I would assume that the Maddox-type android would look similar to him. There's no reason for them not to be a playable species either.

They could have greater physical strength (perhaps on-par with a Gorn) and have traits like : Efficient, Resilient, Acute Senses, and Accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 507
08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
A couple of comments.

First, let me say it's nice to hear they're still working on things. Unfortunately, they're not working on anything that seems important to me.

The major problems with the game are the lack of variety and the lack of depth. I don't see anything in the article to address these problems.

Scientific missions are still boring as blazes. Think of it this way: Imagine the game with ONLY combat missions in it. Sure, it would be pretty repetetive (indeed, it IS), but it would be playable. Combat missions are engaging and entertaining. Now, imagine the game with ONLY missions to scan anomalies. Would you want to play that? Imagine if all you could do was craft. Would you play that?

There are three classes in the game, Tactical, Science and Engineering. There is a good combat system for the Tactical officers, and a mediocre crafting system for the Engineers. Science officers have nothing of any real interest to do. Further, ALL the skills and abilities in the game are COMBAT skills. There needs to be engineering and scientific activities for the engineers and the scientists, and there needs to be skills associated with these activities. These activities need to be as entertaining and engaging as combat.

As I say, I see none of this addressed in the Ask Cryptic article.

If all I wanted was a bunch of combat scenarios, I'd play Starfleet Command (It does ship combat so much better than STO). I expected and still expect MORE than that from an MMO. I know the devs can do better, I haven't lost faith in them yet (though they are testing my limits).
Lt. Commander
# 508
08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
My views are a matter of record

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=253
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...58#post3696958

I get the idea from Dstahl's comments that CBS is not totally opposed to the idea of playable Androids. They just want to keep Data and his brothers unique. Top-of-the-line models, as it were.

But I'm sure a lot of folks just want to be Data clones, or Soong-type androids. That itch is probably not going to get scratched. Nothing stopping you from "kitbashing" one in the Aliengen set and putting it in your bio, but not officially sanctioned.

A Maddox-type android? Maybe.

But I think there would be a lot less opposition and negotiations to allow Holographic captains. In some ways they'd be more versatile and more limited in others. We could get those faster, with less fuss.
Lt. Commander
# 509
08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
My views are a matter of record

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=253
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...58#post3696958

I get the idea from Dstahl's comments that CBS is not totally opposed to the idea of playable Androids. They just want to keep Data and his brothers unique. Top-of-the-line models, as it were.

But I'm sure a lot of folks just want to be Data clones, or Soong-type androids. That itch is probably not going to get scratched. Nothing stopping you from "kitbashing" one in the Aliengen set and putting it in your bio, but not officially sanctioned.

A Maddox-type android? Maybe.

But I think there would be a lot less opposition and negotiations to allow Holographic captains. In some ways they'd be more versatile and more limited in others. We could get those faster, with less fuss.
Don't forget, there's a whole race of Androids that kept Harry Mudd company.

I really don't think they should add Androids as a race, though. There's too much variablity in the design parameters. They should just let us choose a race name for our Alien officers (something we've been asking for since launch). That way we could make them with the attributes that are appropriate to an android, and call them an android, to boot.
Lt. Commander
# 510
08-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Don't forget, there's a whole race of Androids that kept Harry Mudd company.

I really don't think they should add Androids as a race, though. There's too much variablity in the design parameters. They should just let us choose a race name for our Alien officers (something we've been asking for since launch). That way we could make them with the attributes that are appropriate to an android, and call them an android, to boot.
I too would like to name my alien race.

But allowing us to name an alien as an "Android" might come uncomfortably close to the kind of official sanction that CBS is loath to give.

It might also be viewed as a mechanism by which androids like Data might be given different abilities than what they're supposed to have and made somewhat inferior in a sense. That would also be a scenario which CBS would probably want to avoid, as it opens the door for "inferior copies" of Data.

Maybe one way to do it is to create a new species category similar to Alien and call it Artificial Lifeform. Then you give it a list of specific traits to choose from which would be appropriate AND you lock out any combination of costume parts that would allow anyone to create a replica of Data (no golden skin, etc.)