Lt. Commander
# 61 Enterprise F is the king
08-21-2011, 05:56 AM
The Galaxy class cruisers were the kings of Federation cruisers until the Sovereign class cruisers were launched. The Enterprise F represents the best of modern day cruisers in the Federation fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 62
08-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
its an exploration ship that also serves the purpose of being starfleets largest battleship. the sovereign is not in the same size class, its a heavy cruiser. a large and advanced heavy cruiser, but its not steeping on any battleship toes at all. the sovereign being a higher tier then the galaxy is due to the majority of fans assuming newer is better, hell there's people that think an intrepid is more powerful then a galaxy.

the sovereign is not 20 years more advanced then a galaxy, its 7-10 years newer at most. plus the 20 year refit is more of a maintenance overhaul, and then maybe a major upgrade. there were a ton of tng episodes referring to constant upgrades that the enterprise received, those don't happen just every 20 years.
1) never mentioned that the sovereign classes are 20 years advanced compared to the galaxy class, 7 to 10 ya.
2) I said all ships or most receieved a major refit in 2385 whihc included the enterprise e in sto timeline also it should include galaxy class.
3) the point is yes if they add all the advacned tech in a galaxy class ship yes it will be powerful but it must be expensive to do so and its cheaper to build a brand new ship than just improve on an old one because your start from scratch.
4) Starfleet is not in the habit of building warpships, sovereign class is a crusier like the galaxy class but with teeth which it can bit back.
Lt. Commander
# 63
08-21-2011, 08:32 AM
The Galaxy Class is the penultimate Federation Starship design. It serves every possible capacity or role without having to compromise any of its design characteristics.

The only problem with the Galaxy? They had to story gimp it to justify the Sovereign as the Ent-E. A modern built Galaxy would have made for a more appropriate Ent-E. Trek Movies were never truly entirely what Trek is about, which is the only reason a ship class like the Sovereign was possible in the first place.

I for one would still take a Galaxy class over any other hull... with maybe the exception being the Intrepid hull. Landing starships is pretty cool after all.
Lt. Commander
# 64
08-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedelusknight
The Galaxy class cruisers were the kings of Federation cruisers until the Sovereign class cruisers were launched. The Enterprise F represents the best of modern day cruisers in the Federation fleet.
Agreed. Evenutally the odyssey class maybe out classed in the distant future, it happens when technology advacnes.
Lt. Commander
# 65 to funny
08-21-2011, 09:43 AM
hey its simple why the soverign is better then the galaxy. ever see a galaxy fire quatum torpedoes in the show. You think the gakaxy could go up against a schimitar. perform those moves and dodge applications. Why did you not see any galaxy's ships at the second borg battle but the soverign made it back to earth from the romulan border. I am a fan of the galaxy, huge fan. design one with today's standards to try and build in out life time but again the two ships are different on many levels.

soverign is for war

galaxy is for peace

The federation understood that why cant many of you.

just sayin
Lt. Commander
# 66
08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
hey its simple why the soverign is better then the galaxy. ever see a galaxy fire quatum torpedoes in the show. You think the gakaxy could go up against a schimitar. perform those moves and dodge applications. Why did you not see any galaxy's ships at the second borg battle but the soverign made it back to earth from the romulan border. I am a fan of the galaxy, huge fan. design one with today's standards to try and build in out life time but again the two ships are different on many levels.

soverign is for war

galaxy is for peace

The federation understood that why cant many of you.

just sayin
more nonsense. the movie producers succeeded perfectly, they made everyone think the sovereign class is the most powerful and bad *** thing ever. the series producers also did a good job making the galaxy look weak, the story is always more interesting if the crew is the underdog.

a galaxy class could have strait up out gunned the scimitar, just like a d'deridrex or negvar could too. the scimitar is a cradle for a super weapon, it was a battleship designed to protect that weapon at all costs and had the best defensive systems ever encountered. but its weapons were just a bunch of single shot torpedo launchers and cruiser level disruptor cannons. the heavy cruiser sovereign ent-E would have been disabled and boarded much more quickly if had true battleship cannons
Lt. Commander
# 67
08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
more nonsense. the movie producers succeeded perfectly, they made everyone think the sovereign class is the most powerful and bad *** thing ever. the series producers also did a good job making the galaxy look weak, the story is always more interesting if the crew is the underdog.

a galaxy class could have strait up out gunned the scimitar, just like a d'deridrex or negvar could too. the scimitar is a cradle for a super weapon, it was a battleship designed to protect that weapon at all costs and had the best defensive systems ever encountered. but its weapons were just a bunch of single shot torpedo launchers and cruiser level disruptor cannons. the heavy cruiser sovereign ent-E would have been disabled and boarded much more quickly if had true battleship cannons
Where do you come off in thinking the Galaxy Class is that more powerful than the Sovereign?

Weapons:

Galaxy:

12-14 Phaser Arrays
2 Torpedo Launchers (1 Fore, 1 Aft)

Sovereign:

16 Phaser Arrays
10 Torpedo Launchers (4 Fore, 6 Aft)

The Sovereign was the modern replacement for the Galaxy, not a 'Advance Heavy Cruiser'. She was one of the most powerful ships that the Federation has at the time. She may of been smaller at 29 Decks, but that is only 12 decks less than a Galaxy, and that can be found in the neck. Even upgraded, the Galaxy, can not out perform a Sovereign Class. One thing they will have over her older sister is Bio-Neural circuitry, and no the Galaxy wouldn't of been upgraded. That is one system that would require too many resources to replace, just look at the mid 24th century Excelsiors, they did not have the newer Isolinier based computers of the Galaxy, she still has the old Duritronics from the late 23rd early 24th. Yes, brand new Excelsiors built around and after the Galaxy had the new computers, but they were more powerful too.

There are many factors to the reasons behind the fact that the Sovereign Class is just more powerful than a Galaxy.

Tell me one thing about the Galaxy that is better than a Sovereign.

Because all of these systems are better:

Warp Drive
Warp Core
Sensors
Armor
Weapon Systems
Computer Systems
Turn Rate
Impulse Engines
Transporters

Not to mention it takes less crew to man, 750 instead of 1100.
Lt. Commander
# 68
08-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
There is nothing to update the Sovereign with - it already has that tech.

Basically, the Galaxy has a lot of internal space that was left "unused", so it could be modified and enhanced later. The Sovereign is actually a ship with less internal mass, so it's not as upgradeable. it could very well be that Starfleet found that the entire idea of upgrading ships over the course of 100 years wasn't as a great idea as they thought at first.

1) They lost at least 3 of the initial 6 (or 12) Galaxy Ships over the first 10 years or so. (Yamato, Enterprise, Oddysee). Nothing left to upgrade there. Little point in upgrade capabilities if your ship doesn't even live to the first retrofit. The time are not peaceful, ship losses have to be expected.
2) They developed some new key technologies that are not as easily upgraded. The Defiant introduced Ablative Armor (without a Generator, which seemed to come with drawbacks, like reducing your offensive potential), pulse cannons and quantum torpedoes.

But that doesn't mean the Galaxy couldn't get some type of refit to make it equal in power to the Sovereign. It still has its extra size going for it. It's just not cost-effective to produce more Galaxy class ships with upgraded tech. If you build a new ship, just build a Sovereign. But as long as you still have some Galaxies, you can retrofit them.

In the end, that's what has been done in STO - the Galaxy has seen a retrofit to make it equal to the Sovereign.

But the Galaxy kinda was an evolutionary dead end in regards to its modularity and "empty space". Space Exploration has become too dangerous, and war to common, to make irreplaceable ship with a theoretical long life span constantly cut short with torpedoes, suicide fighters and the like.

Peril is nothing new to Starships. Yes, the Galaxy had its own streak of bad luck, but it was nothing compared to the Constitution class. Defiant, Constitution, Excalibur lost in the first ten years of that class's life.

Situation and climate determine what type of ship is succsessful, take a look at the Miranda Class, still in use almost a century after its first appearance, Excelcior is also widely used though the new timeline.

To quote Jordi to Mr Scott, "Just because something is old doesn't mean it gets thrown away." The Galaxy served a specific purpose in Starfleet and likely still will for a long time to come, in my opinion it was the best design out of all of them. But needs change with time. Sovereign was a product of the Dominion war, and the Oddesy is a product of the new one. Things change, it is an inevitability. Those who do not change with the times generaly do not survive as evolution passes them by.

I have my own gripes about the new design, just as I did with Sovereign when it made its appearance, and just as others have issue with the new '09 movie constitution which is actually the size of the Galaxy class!
Now thats something I wouldn't mind seeing in game.
Lt. Commander
# 69
08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Quote:

i realy dont think its nonsense but you can jump in your galaxy r and ill jump in my soverign. load the ship out how it is in canon and we can test n see how much ignorance is inside your words. perhaps someone should watch nemisis again. they might have forgotten the look in picards eyes when he saw the schimitar decloak. and when worf was reading out the ships payload
Lt. Commander
# 70
08-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingie
Peril is nothing new to Starships. Yes, the Galaxy had its own streak of bad luck, but it was nothing compared to the Constitution class. Defiant, Constitution, Excalibur lost in the first ten years of that class's life.

Situation and climate determine what type of ship is succsessful, take a look at the Miranda Class, still in use almost a century after its first appearance, Excelcior is also widely used though the new timeline.

To quote Jordi to Mr Scott, "Just because something is old doesn't mean it gets thrown away." The Galaxy served a specific purpose in Starfleet and likely still will for a long time to come, in my opinion it was the best design out of all of them. But needs change with time. Sovereign was a product of the Dominion war, and the Oddesy is a product of the new one. Things change, it is an inevitability. Those who do not change with the times generaly do not survive as evolution passes them by.

I have my own gripes about the new design, just as I did with Sovereign when it made its appearance, and just as others have issue with the new '09 movie constitution which is actually the size of the Galaxy class!
Now thats something I wouldn't mind seeing in game.
sovereign was designed to fight the borg and othr races which yes it includes the dominion. I to have some if's about the new enterprise f but its normal. dontdrunkimshoot your talking nonsense. please proof us wrong.