Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP newbie
08-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I got my fed to VA finally, and decided to try PvP. Since ground is easier to get into for me, I went with that.

First Question - Have the devs broached the subject of a neutral zone/planet comparable to ****'s frontier/battleground? Either space or ground? A friend of mine who I'm trying to get into the game was shocked that this wasn't part of the release - in his mind, a fed v klingon mmo screams "pvp battleground=NEUTRAL ZONE".

Anyways, the queues seem very slow to pop to me, but i managed to get into 3 games, all on the assault map. I did *meh* the first game, got schooled the second, and did the schooling the third game. The issue seems to be spawn point camping - once a good team gets in the high position overlooking the spawn point, they can rack up the kills. At the same time, having experienced both sides of this, I think the camped team needs to use their brains a bit and get out the side exit. I'm also curious to find if a tac with a smoke grenade can clear the way for everybody to escape or attack...but that's probably not a pug thing.

Second Question - Have the devs discussed combining everybody into one queue for ground combat, splittling the players up (with fed & klingons mixed together), and just randomizing the map? I suspect most people who queue up for pvp just want to fire their guns at something now, rather than wait for the perfect map or for klingon/fed enemies.

Last Question - Anybody have tactics to deal with spawn camping? Like I said, I have ideas of my own (stealth seems obvious too), but I'm curious what others have thought of.

-Jeff
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Spawn camping has been a tactic that has been in use since well i cant remember. I think i was on a pentium 3 PC playing battlefield 1942 and i used to snipe the spawns to make friends. We called ourselves the crouching snipers, hidden campers. We didnt make alot of friends and i used to get dive bombed regularly. Suffice it to say its not going away anytime soon. Once you advance into the map and lose any ground they will work their way back to your spawn and hold you down.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Re: Last question

Rules

1: Never hang around the spawn point
2: NEVER hang around the spawn point
3: NEVER HANG AROUND THE SPAWN POINT!!!!!
4: See rule 3
5: All players re-spawn together. Do not re-spawn one by one for them to pick you off.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaif View Post
I got my fed to VA finally, and decided to try PvP. Since ground is easier to get into for me, I went with that.

First Question - Have the devs broached the subject of a neutral zone/planet comparable to ****'s frontier/battleground? Either space or ground? A friend of mine who I'm trying to get into the game was shocked that this wasn't part of the release - in his mind, a fed v klingon mmo screams "pvp battleground=NEUTRAL ZONE".
Otha for ground. Kerrat for space. Both of these are, in fact, in the neutral zone.

Quote:
Second Question - Have the devs discussed combining everybody into one queue for ground combat, splittling the players up (with fed & klingons mixed together), and just randomizing the map? I suspect most people who queue up for pvp just want to fire their guns at something now, rather than wait for the perfect map or for klingon/fed enemies.
Back in the olden days, the PvP queues were split up even more than they are now (each type of arena map a separate queue) and there was no FvF. I think they are fine the way they are now and players who want to do their dailies would scream bloody murder if they couldn't queue for a specific type of war game (ie, arena vs assault). As far as combining Klingons with Feds... in reality this really wouldn't help much (there are so few Klingons that their additional numbers would barely make a difference) and would anger the Klingon "RP'ers" (I'm talking angry like if they haven't had their prune juice in a week).

Quote:
Last Question - Anybody have tactics to deal with spawn camping? Like I said, I have ideas of my own (stealth seems obvious too), but I'm curious what others have thought of.

-Jeff
Fight your way out. Being at your spawn point, you have the advantage of insta-rez and can use your numbers to overwhelm your opponents quickly by rejoining the battle asap. Once you take down one or two of your enemies, the rest should start dropping. Of course, if your entire 5 man team is unable to kill one player, then spawn camping is the least of your concerns.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffargue
Spawn camping has been a tactic that has been in use since well i cant remember...Suffice it to say its not going away anytime soon.
We agree, and if you read what I wrote I regard it as a situation to be overcome. My complaint is that the Devs make it easy - that high ground is too close to the spawn point, I think.