Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Weapon Visual Effect
08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I recently returned to STO after a break and during a couple of ground combat encounters, especially in "Shooter Mode" I have found when I used a "Disruptor High Density Beam Rifle" for example against the enemy NPCs, the beam upon hitting an enemy NPC creates a "mist or water" visual effect; a small green colored cloud appears at the point of impact which seems a bit odd for a weapon effect. I have searched through the Visual Options menu in game as well as searched the forums to see if anyone else has encountered this and/or found a way to resolve it but came up empty.

Has anyone else seen this effect? I kind of feel I am the only one but hope I'm not.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-14-2011, 03:18 AM
i think that is the impact effect...

if you don't have an impact effect it just looks like the beam would clip into the enemy.
it's the same for ships.

and neither look realistic.
in space i would expect some fire or explosions, on ground uhm... well looking at the Trek Series you can do anything from *complete body glow* to *exploding heads + splatter everywhere*... they've done it all.

the real disturbing thing for me is, if you fire into the air, that impact effect still appears when the beam *stops*... as in: the beam has a preset *range* and at the end of that range it just *stops* and shows the impact fx... even if that is in mid air.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-14-2011, 02:40 PM
If the impact effect was changed to where each weapon discharge upon striking the enemy, created a small circular blotch or spot of heat/burn similar to a phaser blast on a wall before leaving a visible scorch mark present would be far more realistic to me than a small colored cloud mimicking a mist or water effect.