Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
08-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
Um, have any of you guys read the latest Ask Cryptic? DStahl not only told us the open PvP was coming soon but he even gave us an estimated date (which isn't that far away).

I'm not saying I don't like this idea, in fact I love it, I'm just saying PvP is moving further.
We had an estimated date on more PVP content ten months ago (as in "It'll be here in three weeks.")


It never came.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
08-14-2011, 12:38 AM
@ OP

While I salute your dogged persistence, you make more threads complaining about PvP then KDF does about PvE.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see territory control if only to wipe those KDF off the face of the planet but constantly crying that you have no new content, and fail to define what you consider PvP content makes your threads all the same really.

Right now, no one has any new content, and while a few new maps would be nice, I don't know of any MMO that is constantly rolling out new PvP maps or modes. A part from cap n hold and killing each other, there aren't that many forms of PvP honestly. Unless we take up competitive sea cow herding or something like that. (You know the creatures from the Undine FA).

Also, that dog in your picture doesn't looked pleased to be kissed by you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
08-14-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm not at all surprised by any of these responses. We range from no, to the standard bit about it being here next Tuesday (so just be patient for another year), to a guy discussing puppy avatars as is that's in some way more relevant than suggestions actually related to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vale_Cortez
@ OP

While I salute your dogged persistence, you make more threads complaining about PvP then KDF does about PvE.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see territory control if only to wipe those KDF off the face of the planet but constantly crying that you have no new content, and fail to define what you consider PvP content makes your threads all the same really.

Right now, no one has any new content, and while a few new maps would be nice, I don't know of any MMO that is constantly rolling out new PvP maps or modes. A part from cap n hold and killing each other, there aren't that many forms of PvP honestly. Unless we take up competitive sea cow herding or something like that. (You know the creatures from the Undine FA).

Also, that dog in your picture doesn't looked pleased to be kissed by you.
For starters, your opening baseless exaggeration contributes nothing to the conversation. Calling someone's constructive feedback "crying" is pretty offensive and kind of like trolling, in my opinion. If you read, you'll see that there have been numerous suggestions of what a PvP addition might look like (shouldn't be too hard to find since there are more threads about that than anything else:p). Yes, content is scarce but no one is asking for constant PvP development. No one expects a steady stream of new maps but one once in a year would be nice.

If the PvE types were sitting here for 18 months with the same attention PvP has received they'd be "crying" too
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
08-14-2011, 04:06 AM
ya know speaking for myself this would be a bad idea, for several reasons.

1: let's face it, iv PVP sucks in this game making it free to everyone proably isn't gonna create many new subs. it'll likely just lose folks who have hit level cap and now wanna PVP. (which is really what this is all about, the OP would like to play a small fraction of the game without paying for the price)
2: doing this would mean cryptic was writeing off PVP, not only would it mean no new PVP content, it means cryptic proably would stop even CONSIDERING PVP.
3: given you have to PVE up to level 6 to PVP how would this even work, and you realize that chances are this would mean an absolute ton of PVP at Leuitenant levels, but no change at higher levels right?


so yeah bad idea, but now the OP is gonna post about how my post is stupid and I'm just some PVEer who doesn't care and wants PVP to fail.

I'm not. I'm not a PVER, I'm not a Roleplayer, I'm not a PVPer, I do it all, in short I actually play the full game, anyone who doesn't do

Quote:
If the PvE types were sitting here for 18 months with the same attention PvP has received they'd be "crying" too
they'd proably have stopped subbing and left the game to go play one that caters to their tastes, people who pay for a MMO when they only like a tiny fraction of it, something that's basicly an afterthought (let's face facts STO is primarily a PVE focused game)
well it's crazy, why spend your money on a subscription to a game you don't really like? surely you could find a SFC3 or bridge commander online gameing community to give you your ship to ship combat online without the monthly fee
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
08-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Going f2p would also help those short-sighted PvEers who say that PvP as a whole shoud be removed from the game :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
it's cryptic's fault that you're willing to pay for a subscription to their game for a minor side thought part of it because?
We pay because we like Star Trek. We pay because we want the game to succeed. We pay because STO offers a unique style of gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
Um, have any of you guys read the latest Ask Cryptic? DStahl not only told us the open PvP was coming soon but he even gave us an estimated date (which isn't that far away).

I'm not saying I don't like this idea, in fact I love it, I'm just saying PvP is moving further.
"Soon." We were told we were getting basic PvP additions on July 30 2010. Over a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vale_Cortez
@ OP

While I salute your dogged persistence, you make more threads complaining about PvP then KDF does about PvE.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see territory control if only to wipe those KDF off the face of the planet but constantly crying that you have no new content, and fail to define what you consider PvP content makes your threads all the same really.

Right now, no one has any new content, and while a few new maps would be nice, I don't know of any MMO that is constantly rolling out new PvP maps or modes. A part from cap n hold and killing each other, there aren't that many forms of PvP honestly. Unless we take up competitive sea cow herding or something like that. (You know the creatures from the Undine FA).

Also, that dog in your picture doesn't looked pleased to be kissed by you.
What other way is there to garner attention to the issue? Ask Cryptic answers one question a month, podcasts refuse to ask about PvP, and the Devs never really answer anything in the PvP forum.

And he loves it and will continue to like it!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
08-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
ya know speaking for myself this would be a bad idea, for several reasons.

1: let's face it, iv PVP sucks in this game making it free to everyone proably isn't gonna create many new subs. it'll likely just lose folks who have hit level cap and now wanna PVP. (which is really what this is all about, the OP would like to play a small fraction of the game without paying for the price)
That's not what this is about at all. Whether or not PvP sucks in this game is a matter of opinion. It's not perfect but it's been neglected for so long that is to be expected. It isn't that someone wants a free game, but rather, they want to get something for the price they pay (since they are getting nothing why not pay nothing). It's more about a plea for some attention.

Quote:
2: doing this would mean cryptic was writeing off PVP, not only would it mean no new PVP content, it means cryptic proably would stop even CONSIDERING PVP.
So when the entire game eventually goes free to play will that also be the day that Cryptic shuts the servers down? There is no logical sense in this rational. That being said, even now with the current pay scheme there has been just as much development for PvP as you suggest that there would be if it was F2P.

Quote:
3: given you have to PVE up to level 6 to PVP how would this even work, and you realize that chances are this would mean an absolute ton of PVP at Leuitenant levels, but no change at higher levels right?
Really? That's the logistical barrier that makes F2P PvP impossible? You think they can make all this stuff but they can't figure out how to reduce the required level to start PvP? lol


Quote:
so yeah bad idea, but now the OP is gonna post about how my post is stupid and I'm just some PVEer who doesn't care and wants PVP to fail.

I'm not. I'm not a PVER, I'm not a Roleplayer, I'm not a PVPer, I do it all, in short I actually play the full game, anyone who doesn't do



they'd proably have stopped subbing and left the game to go play one that caters to their tastes, people who pay for a MMO when they only like a tiny fraction of it, something that's basicly an afterthought (let's face facts STO is primarily a PVE focused game)
well it's crazy, why spend your money on a subscription to a game you don't really like? surely you could find a SFC3 or bridge commander online gameing community to give you your ship to ship combat online without the monthly fee
Again, prognostication aside, no one has suggested that STO's PvE nature be abandoned. They just need to remember that the game has more than one aspect to it and they need to develop the entire game. I bought STO for Star Trek and I stay for the hope that our feedback can help them improve in all areas.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
08-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagles View Post
Did you even read the topic, its about PvP, not PvE/Roleplaying.
I did, and I actually believe the PVE is better, gets more attention and lovin then pvp and is why I wrote my post...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opzulu View Post
I did, and I actually believe the PVE is better, gets more attention and lovin then pvp and is why I wrote my post...
In 2011, they seem to be getting equal attention (next to none).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
08-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Quote:
In 2011, they seem to be getting equal attention (next to none).
Is this a "Be careful what you ask for" thing?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
08-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Not to worry OP, being that Perfect World owns 7 other MMO’s and all of them are F2P.
I predict that both PVP & PVE will be F2P as soon as the acquisition of STO is completed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 PM.