Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Hy there,
I wondered since the release of Season 4 how STO should hold a lot of it's customers, while the release of SWTOR and GW2. The 2 MMO's are going to have a huge impact on the genre, no doubt about it.
Beside this, I really was very disapointed with the Season 4. For my understanding this should've been THE reason why we should futher subscribe to STO. Sadly, I don't see really one. -Shootermode, well nice, but nothing fancy, and totally no reason for me to subscribe(the mode is still to ichy and doesn't fill whole). New ground weapons... wellt hose are nice, but to less to make a stand an beeing called a Season patch. Doff's, FE's, ... we never saw those. At the bottom line, at the release of Season 4 there was no major patch, which changed anything.

Please feel free to answer to the title, or to my opinion, or whatever.

For me, STO has to get some major revmaps of some game mechanics AFSP.
The most disapointed mechanics for me here in the game are the
  • Sector Block Barriers
    (They are already onto it. So, that, s a good start)
  • Discovery Sectors
    Those should be changed to nebulas, with normal entry points as for Briar Patch, Badlands, Khales expanse(<-exatly that kind of entrance!!) or any other planetary system.
  • Harvesting system
    I so darn hat this wave pattern. The first 10.000 times there was fun, but now I just want to throw. ...Yes I have some own ideas for my own, but everything would do by now.
  • R&D
    shouldn't it be called OMG? - The actual R&D is boring and not challenging at all
  • some sort of economic system
    this is thight bound to the R&D by the way. If someone could build some rare parts, he could push the economy. -I know, Star Trek is not about economy, but just a little push would be great. Nothing fancy, but even this would improve the fun.
  • Doff's
  • more Storyline Missions
  • Fixing and improving the Foundry
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I personally think SW:TOR is being hyped up beyond anything. If I decide to play it, it will be well after a year to see how content has developped. Something tells me this is going to be a PvP game, and PvP in a RPG-PvE game makes zero sense to me. If I want to go around just to fight other players I'll play a FPS, RPGs are supposed to have storylines that give the character(player) purpose other than to "take this and shoot that"

As for GuildWars2, I was never impressed with the first game and even have a few nicknames for how bad that game model is, I can't see how they managed a sequel.

All in all I think people will try it but blizzard will still manage to pull people in with their next expansion and diablo 3. I personally, will stay with the games I have already (STO WoW CoD) and I will stay with Star Trek because Cryptic actually listens to the player base to the best of their ability, where other companies make changes no matter how it effects the player base.

TL: DR verison SW:TOR is being hyped up and GW1 sucked so GW2 won't be good either.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
I personally think SW:TOR is being hyped up beyond anything. If I decide to play it, it will be well after a year to see how content has developped. Something tells me this is going to be a PvP game, and PvP in a RPG-PvE game makes zero sense to me. If I want to go around just to fight other players I'll play a FPS, RPGs are supposed to have storylines that give the character(player) purpose other than to "take this and shoot that"

As for GuildWars2, I was never impressed with the first game and even have a few nicknames for how bad that game model is, I can't see how they managed a sequel.

All in all I think people will try it but blizzard will still manage to pull people in with their next expansion and diablo 3. I personally, will stay with the games I have already (STO WoW CoD) and I will stay with Star Trek because Cryptic actually listens to the player base to the best of their ability, where other companies make changes no matter how it effects the player base.

TL: DR verison SW:TOR is being hyped up and GW1 sucked so GW2 won't be good either.
I do respect your opinion, but your informations are not acurate about SWTOR and GW 2. Both have sonething very special and fresh to offer. The SWTOR is going to be the MMO version of KotoR. Very immersive. The Dev's meant this more than once. PVP is not such a big deal to them and some decisions are already bad taken by the MMO PVP Communities, who belived that they can be kewl Jedy in Arenas pawning other blackshaddow Jedy in SWTOR.

As for GW2 this is going entilely another path as GW1. I totally agree with you, that GW1 was wery...let's call ist special. GW2 is going to be interesting in fighting mechanics and quest mechanics. Beside this, it is going to be very immersive as well and an entire open instanced world (something like WOW without dedicated instaces, but phasing).
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-15-2011, 08:56 AM
To me, this all really depends on how well STO will be developed by the time GW2 comes out. Since GW2 is using a one-time purchase + store model, I can afford to fit STO into my budget. If I am extremely unsatisfied with STO by that time, I'll probably drop it. But I don't really see that happening if Cryptic stays dedicated to improving STO and making into the game they really want it to be.

As for SWTOR, meh. The phrase "A polished turd is still a turd" comes to mind...
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-15-2011, 09:07 AM
a decent balance between all ships and classes.

aka make them al ld othe same but in different fashion.

do not pre gimp things so that the arbitrary healer/sponge/dps-nuker can apply just to serve a minority of players who cannot possible live without such constraints.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
To me, this all really depends on how well STO will be developed by the time GW2 comes out. Since GW2 is using a one-time purchase + store model, I can afford to fit STO into my budget. If I am extremely unsatisfied with STO by the time, I'll probably drop it. But I don't really see that happening if Cryptic stays dedicated to improving STO and making into the game they really want it to be.

As for SWTOR, meh. The phrase "A polished turd is still a turd" comes to mind...
I do somekind feel the same. Actually I love STO, but the darn game is not immersive enough for me to get me involved playing it longer than some moth's than droping it in the corner. It is the first MMO I love and get bored to death as well. It drives me mad, while I compare the posibilites, STO could actually give us, and they don't.

At this moment I am not very exited any longer about SWTOR... however I was some moth ago, until I found some informations that blew the game for me. Still SWTOR directly compared to STO is going to win the race for me as a customer. Same thing with GW2, or Terra, Hidden World, etc. (a lot of other MMO's are going to come in the near future)-As long as I won't get implicated into the game and into my avatar's "life" in STO any other MMO would win this race. And this is sad for me.
I'd might be a lot of critical with Cryptic, but at the bottom line, they are great developers, who did some great issues in STO. This makes it even harder.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't trust Bioware after Dragon Age 2, and from what i've seen, TOR just doesn't do if for me. Won't play GW2 at all, tbh.

What STO needs, imo? More canon interiors, more missions, and more flexibility at t5.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't want to say 'In order for me to stay....' because I'm a guild leader. I can't just up and drop the game. But I'd expect to see more content, monthly FEs, new PvP Maps and games, and maybe some more In Character information and development from the Devs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macumba
........I wondered since the release of Season 4 how STO should hold a lot of it's customers......
Yes, they will do it by going F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
I love Star Trek - Staying Here because Star Trek is better in my opinion.

I don't like fantasy as much as Sci Fi - Staying because I won't get GW2 right away if ever.

George Lucas, SWG closing down, and Clone Wars Star Wars style TOR - Staying because Lucas can take TOR and [ Edited due to Content] . it was crap closing down SWG. they have a dedicated community. small, but dedicated to the game. The Devs were doing a great job of fixing the mess from what happen ( Lucas, and SOE fault because they wanted to tap into the WOW player base ) the devs had many plans, and updates for the game in the future. But Lucas had to pull the rug in my opinion to force us all to upgrade. But I guess he is getting what he wanted. WOW Wars... Lucas, Sulu wishes to have a word with you.

That being said. I don't see much that will rip me away from this game, unless they really go off the deep end before my sub is out in October, but with perfect worlds taking control. I can see some good things coming. it makes me happy.

OP I am not to worried about those game. We have some really good things going for us, and we will survive them being released.

Oh sorry about the rant. the SWG thing has me bugged.