Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
SW - not interested in the IP at all. I couldn't care less about any game based on the IP.

GW2 - same as GW1 - wasn't that interesting enough to keep my attention.

STO - I like it. I enjoy it. I play it as the mood strikes. It's a nice theme park type of place to game and be entertained.

I knew coming into STO way back when that it would be a theme park game to indulge in casually and not some empty sand-box or hack-n-slash or wild fantasy realm where I would have to play all day everyday just to keep up with the raiding Joneses.

STO is not about the hardcore min-max'ers that just want to beat each other over the head.

STO is not about the hardcore raiders that have to reach milestone after milestone of ultra-difficult-to-beat-after-years-of-grinding-endlessly type "bosses" that drop or award "epic lewtz".

STO is about giving the player the chance to be the director and lead actor of his/her own little episode using the IP as a backdrop with the ships and uniforms as props all combined into a personal trek "where no one has gone before" across the galaxy.
Are we playing the same game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Star Wars the Old Republic will have an impact on this game. There's no way around that. It's an MMO. It's sci-fi. And it has a large amount of cash invested into it.

The developers seem to be pushing alot of new content back back back, to the autumn. Which is right around the time that TOR is supposed to launch.

Hmmmmmmm.
At first I thought the same, but then I realised, heck, this is not going to work, because I have NOW already my preoder to SWTOR...uuups, bad choice STO you'll definetely lose me at least for one month again.

The thing is, why sould "I" return to a game, that was not willing to be what it let me expected to be? Rhetorical question of an random user. We allways got the same answer, "soon we will..." yes right, always soon, until other MMO's will come out and then there is to late!
Some people are not LTA's they still have the choice (TO be honest, you LTA's paid anyway for the game wheter you play it or not, you can't really make a stand). And this choice rises and falls with the latest endeavour of Cryptic until the releases marathon. Some people don't want new stuff, they want the elder stuff finally working out.

I for one am some kind of these people. I do want as well to replay the game and finally fully understand what is all about plaing "thatguy" flying in "thatship". I want to be motivated scanning 5 or killing 5. -Why the heck, should I do this, if there is no good immersive reason? Etc. And why do I spend so much mones into my outfit if no other player really noticed it / has alsmost no oportunity to see it?
I really have a lot of issues, however the parts that are in the game are not bad, but far from their real potential. And the question is, why? Why does STO always have to look halfbaked? STO should've been THE most popular Space Opera MMO around... still we are not, but EVE Online, and soon, well not even be No.2, but fall to No.3. Something is going terribly wrong!
STO got one of the potent MMO engines, with huge posibilities to adapt for the future. It has a dedicated developers crew and a strong fanbase. Still the game bobs up and down somwehere lost in the MMO Nirvanna.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
SW - not interested in the IP at all. I couldn't care less about any game based on the IP.

GW2 - same as GW1 - wasn't that interesting enough to keep my attention.

STO - I like it. I enjoy it. I play it as the mood strikes. It's a nice theme park type of place to game and be entertained.

I knew coming into STO way back when that it would be a theme park game to indulge in casually and not some empty sand-box or hack-n-slash or wild fantasy realm where I would have to play all day everyday just to keep up with the raiding Joneses.

STO is not about the hardcore min-max'ers that just want to beat each other over the head.

STO is not about the hardcore raiders that have to reach milestone after milestone of ultra-difficult-to-beat-after-years-of-grinding-endlessly type "bosses" that drop or award "epic lewtz".

STO is about giving the player the chance to be the director and lead actor of his/her own little episode using the IP as a backdrop with the ships and uniforms as props all combined into a personal trek "where no one has gone before" across the galaxy.

This is by far the best summary I've heard of STO and is the sole reason why I got a Life sub. You sir /award100coolpoints
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-15-2011, 11:48 PM
My wife and I will both buy and play KoToR online but not until tax time. We will get to endgame and there will most likely be nothing there and the game will go on the shelve like all the other singleplayer games like CoD and the GTA games I have. My wife will go back to her yearly sub of CoH and I will allways play STO. STO is the only true Sci-FI game on the market and I dont see anyother in the near or far future. Oh and EVE is only a spreadsheet that you have to log onto once a day to update settings and not at all in anyway do I consider it a "Game". I mean come on you cannot even controll your ship in EVE. You just press a button and watch your ship fight on it's own and hope you can win the fight lol. I never played GW1 and really doubt I will play GW2. The only other MMO I will sub to is LoTRo to get my fantasy fix or maybe EQ1 if I have the hours to invest in playing that one. I only see STO getting better and better now that PWI has bought it from Atari. I see lots of things happening to STO that will expand the game alot. And if DStal is really able to have free reign and the manpower to acomplish all the things he has suguested and has put into the Engineering Reports STO wil allways reign supreeme for me
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Being a Trekkie and never really been into Star Wars, I'm not going to wander over to TOR or GW2. The original GW was okay but honestly STO is the only MMO I have ever subbed to more than 1 month. Hells, I even went lifetime with STO because all I need is STO. I can blow up ships in space and ground is much nicer now.

While ground combat in TOR might look better, their space stuff looks horrible compared to even stuff made a decade ago. If I wish to play something like Asteroids, then I will go play Asteroids instead. Additionally, after the disaster of DA2, my faith in Bioware has been shaken, and I've been a loyal follower of them since Balder's Gate.

So STO just needs to exist and I will be here.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Guild Wars was my first MMO and I still have fond memories of my time with it, so I will at least check out GW 2.

4 things will ensure my enjoyment of SWTOR (at least for 30 days): Black Robes, Red Lightsaber, Force Lightning and a Galaxy full of victims.

As for STO...Im a lifetimer, so I loose nothing in taking a break and see how the game developes further. I still hope that the recent change in ownership will affect the game positively. Only time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-16-2011, 01:12 AM
This is just a prediction based on press releases but has TOR really upped the ante as far as MMO's go? Yes we all want to know what the universe will look like. Yes we want to know what the new classes will do but given the funk of the last bits of software from SW I don't know if personally I'm sold. Shame since SW had some pretty awesome games before SWG.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Sweet F.A. My lifetime sub is all thanks to TOR, that's one of the main factors in my decision to snap it up the day it was available.

I'll play STO, TOR and from what i've read of GW2 i may even give it a bash (im burnt out of fantasy but it's heavily personalised questing system seems worth a try).

What i'd like is a HECK of a lot more content, duty officer system, interiors (cryptic needs to either add content to them or hoy the whole content idea and make them extremely moddable, that has to happen soon, they've left that part of the game to flounder for too long)

Most of all, i think what STO needs is a bigger team able to get these and many other things out the door at a pace thats somewhat faster than a snails.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I wil be playing SWTOR even before it is released. I can't wait. I'm a huge star wars fan, just as I am a huge Star Trek fan.

STO is unique and SWTOR will be unique, both for different reasons. I will not stop playing STO when SWTOR comes out. I will play both. It does not have to be an either/or situation.

I am concerned about the effect the release of SWTOR will have on STO. I see STO players posting on the SWTOR forums (as I do). I think STO really needs to do the following to remain competitive:

1) For the love of Pete bring in a new playable faction (cough, Romulans). People desperately need something new.
2) Update sound effects in space to be more interesting. I think they plan to update the Defiant cannons for example.
3) Bring in a plethora of new PVP maps. I am so tired of playing the same maps for space. The universe is a beautiful place. It is inexcusable that they have not given us new PVP maps. They should especially do some open PVP maps.
4) New ships at the T5 level.
5) New uniform designs.
6) Lots of voice overs. This is one of SWTOR's sellling points.

I love STO. I am very thankful we have it to play. I want to see it succeed and will continue to be involved and give them my money. However, the Devs need to know that companies that do not change fail. Time is short and they need to get on it yesterday. Here is hoping they do! I wish the team the best with this new company. My thoughts are offered only to help, not to be overly critical, as I believe these are very talented people.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-31-2011, 05:50 AM
While the most of your demands are definetely going to come, even in the near future the vioce over question is still unanswered. Especially at the point of the voiceover and dialog I find no argument, why they coose to work with popup windows. In CO the dialogue works better and are easier to comprehend. Especially this part of voiceover and acting there looks awsome. It is at this level still the same engine, built by the same company. Still there is such a huge dicrepance between the two games.

Back on topic:
The most of us, who are no LTA, are mostly not willing to subscribe parallel to more than one MMO. Even If we have that money, is is simply not practical, because we mostly concentrate our gameplay to one game at a time. I for one have a half month of STO and recently activated CO again. Both subscriptions are active at the moment, but I am playing CO right now and STO just stands still. It is not, that I wouldn't play STO for some negative reason, but at the moment I find CO much more entertaining. -Exactly this is a typical behavior for so many MMO gamers. If a game is much more entertaining as your elder one, you mostly will change your subscrtiption to the new one. The only reaction for the developers of the elder game is to improve mainly the game experience and to attract their former players back. This already happended here in STO with each FE and new Season. However, agains such gigants as SWTOR and GW2 it is still not enough. (It is not about compeeting with them, but to remain at least stable while they are going to be released) At least this is how I see this. But the potential is definetely here to get a much better game experience.

As I always recur, Cryptic is a great developement studio, they have very potent staff and a one of the most powerfull and improvable engine on the whole MMO market. They are the only studio who show several times, that they can build MMO's. If they finally would fix the long term motivation problem, there is definetely hope for STO as for CO as well.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-31-2011, 06:48 AM
The Utter contempt by which Lucas has treated the fan base I have found appauling. Not one red cent from me. Period