Lt. Commander
I didn't play STO pre season 4, and am wondering what everyone's experience with melee weapons has been since the ground combat revamp. I am trying it out on my gorn character which I also took the "Bite" racial on. Basically my strategy is using a bat'leth, I do LBM, RMB, LBM which does that frontal spinning aoe thing. This has a good chance of exposing and then I perform "Bite" which does some pretty impressive expose damage.

However, I've been told melee was stronger before season 4 and that it is currently underpowered and likely to be tweaked. Anyone have info on this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I haven't had any problems with it myself, and I don't have Bite as a finisher. On the various characters I have been playing lately I just use a weapon and Lunge at the most. Seems to work very well, even against the Borg.

Lt. Commander
# 3
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I am having a horrorable time with my Klink character I set him up as a stealth batleth expert, and now as I move in preditor mode with my batleth all my bridge officer get wiped out so its me with my batleth vs 6 guys with phasers.

It ends pretty quickly before I can drop one guy I tried having my bridge officers focus fire but the way the feds are set up right now if you don't kill all the doctors in the first volly they raise the dead ones.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevermoon View Post
I am having a horrorable time with my Klink character I set him up as a stealth batleth expert, and now as I move in preditor mode with my batleth all my bridge officer get wiped out so its me with my batleth vs 6 guys with phasers.

It ends pretty quickly before I can drop one guy I tried having my bridge officers focus fire but the way the feds are set up right now if you don't kill all the doctors in the first volly they raise the dead ones.
Set your officers to a rally point and then call them in after you engage, or send them in ahead of you and let them start the fight, then slip past them and attack from the enemy's flanks. I recommend the second - even if they see through your stealth they're less likely to change targets to shoot you. With the first method they'll agro from passive and you could get splattered before you realize it. You don't want to be trying to engage from stealth at close range with your boffs hanging around.

Personally, I don't feel like melee is worth it anymore - the weapons have lower DPS than energy weapons now, they seem to have changed the shield bypass on them, and with rifle's getting a melee that's only slightly lower than a melee weapon and which auto-combos, I think melee weapons need a bit of a damage boost for the gain to be worth losing a second energy weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Personally, I don't feel like melee is worth it anymore - the weapons have lower DPS than energy weapons now, they seem to have changed the shield bypass on them, and with rifle's getting a melee that's only slightly lower than a melee weapon and which auto-combos, I think melee weapons need a bit of a damage boost for the gain to be worth losing a second energy weapon.
I agree. Before S4, I would melee all the time. My borg bat'leth was pretty much part of my standard gear on STFs, and Close combat kit was my only purple kit for a long time. It was especially useful against elite borg drones with shields that don't seem to go down. But since S4, enemy shields go down pretty quick (as does our own shields), and many of the energy weapons have higher dps. Plus elite drones can now assimilate you, so it is better to stay out of melee range of them. I rarely use melee anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 6 melee
08-15-2011, 06:30 PM
At present melee weapons are Not Effective as a weapon in Any mission other than " Coluseam " , part of the featured series " Cloaked Intentions ". I fear that with the intention of the devs to make " shooter mode " the DEFAULT ground combat system setting [ STO Engineering Report July 18 , 2011 ] and the INTENTIONAL REMOVAL of the ground auto attack option " Maintain " from the ground control option menu [ thread " Autofire and Auto Attack Broken " { http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=226401} ] that the RPG Ground Combat system maybe IRRETREIVABLY damaged , to the point that this may become ,or all ready has become , a MORTAL INJURY to the continued viablity of Star Trek Online as a disireable addtion to the continued viablity of the IP .
Lt. Commander
# 7 No
08-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Not right now but they could if STO worked on it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
My experience is that Melee Damage is weaker than before and is only useful in one circumstance. Most enemies are sooooo easy to mow down at range with energy weapons that it is almost impossible to close for Melee so it is worthless there. Against the Borg it becomes useful again because they do not adapt to Melee damage and they are so slow that it is easy to close with them and rip them apart.

That said: Bite/Pounce can be great for taking advantage of key moments and deal a LOT of damage.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-15-2011, 09:58 PM
The biggest problem AFAIK is that melee weapons only get 50% shield penetration, yet don't actually inflict any damage against the shields--which means that they contribute nothing towards taking down the opponent's shields. Thus, you get half-damage unless the opponent's shields are already down.

What we need is either for melee weapons to entirely bypass shields (100% penetration unless the shield has a +PHYS damage resistance modifier), or else for the 50% of damage that does not penetrate the shields to go towards shield damage instead.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't get it. When Season 4 went up, not only did melee weapons not get a damage increase like the ranged ones, but they also got hit by the nerf bat when it was changed so that they only dealt 50% damage through shields instead of a complete damage bypass like they used to. That pretty much quartered the damage they deal in comparison to the way ranged weapons work now, and to top it all off ranged weapons now get melee combos. I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking "let's make people want to never use melee weapons again", so what *were* they thinking over there when they did that?

I used to routinely switch between ranged and melee weapons during engagements on the ground, but now I've practically forgotten my melee weapons exist. It's rather... disturbing. So no, I don't think they're viable... unless you can get VERY creative with them or you're fighting the Borg with a player/BOff group that is sufficiently good at keeping you alive. When it comes to those two things, I believe there have already been a few examples of what you can do with them, but it still doesn't solve how "blunted" they've become DPS-wise.