Lt. Commander
# 31
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
I like the new pics, no question, but the first two confuse me to a degree:

1) What, exactly, are we seeing here? It looks as though some gigantic surface-to-orbit "fire column" is attacking the Centaur ship. Am I misreading the image?

2) What is the significance of that "purple energy halo" around the Federation officer being shot? I can't think of why that would be in the scene. Any educated guesses?

Cheers,

KOS
It's a piece of debris trailing fire, not a beam originating from the planet. The CENTAUR class ship is presumably flying through the explosion of a vessel or orbital structure it had just destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Picture 1: I love the detail in the explosion and the planet. However, they are so good to me that it makes the Centaur and the Miranda-mod look comical or cheaply done.

Picture 2: I really feel sorry for that guy. He got mega ***** by a dozen Remans. Not only did he get hit by several disruptor blasts, he got electricuted too!

I am liking the Reman character models and the environmental texture. Especially seeing the shield matrix above.

Picture 3: Ah more Cardassian action!

But afraid like in Picture 1, the ships looks like a simple model, while the environment is nicely rendered.

All in all, seems the enviroment is getting more artistic love than the ships themselves. I really hope that changes in the upcoming months.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Child
At first glance they do look pretty good, but the critic in me couldn't help but tear them up.

The first has en explosion around the Centaur, but explosions are supposed to cause a lot of damage, so how is this ship unscathed?

The second does look pretty good, but I can't help but wonder about the purple beam coming from the guy's head. I figure it's coming from him because it's brighter by his head, and he's pointing. What exactly is this head lightning supposed to be?

The third looks odd given that two beams are coming from one emitter, but otherwise it's very nice. I was almost upset at seeing every ship on a common plane, but then I remembered the Miranda from the first in a 45 degree dive. So at least I can be above or below a target and pretend it matters.

How do you(we) know the ship is unscathed? There could be plenty, just not externally. Also, it is possible the ship is just flying through the blast and wasn't right on top of it as it exploded.

It's possible that purple "beam" is a status effect? For instance, in some games if you get stunned, rooted, etc an effect will kick off to show that has happened. Could be that, maybe.

Not sure about the emitter on the Galors. Maybe that's part of the "creative license" area in where "upgrades" can be found/built/acquired to modify your ship to do that?

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. Klingon ships next please.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I think it's a Luna and difinately and Soyuz in pic. 1. Pic 2 is overkill, and pic 3 is awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Where is... is that... no... wait over in the corner I think... wait no.... no... Qu’vatlh!

Another batch of new screenshots with not one representation of Klingon faction content or even a Klingon NPC. At least we get to see some Cardie NPC ships shooting at a generic NPC freighter... **rolls eyes** I guess we can use our imagination to pretend that Federation ship is being blowed up by a Klingon ship (that is off camera, or hidden behind the explosion).

Psst. STO dev peoples.... there are two playable factions at launch right? Federation and Klingon? Not just Federation and Borg-NPC, or Federation and Romulan-NPC, or Federation and Cardassian-NPC? We've seen more screenshots of Romulan ships, Cardassian ships, generic ships, than actual Klingon ships.

This is bad business and PR to continually under-represent a faction that so many are excited about. Over the months I've seen Klingon-faction players hit the forums very excited about STO only to be underwhelmed and under-represented leading to them leaving the forums. If that is the goal, to cater to Federation players and drive away Klingon players, then that is succeeding. If your goal is to keep Klingon players interested and happy and coming back to the website and forum on a regular basis, then that is not quite as successful.

I think those new screenshots look great, from a visual standpoint (showing off the graphics engine) and from a gameplay standpoint (showing action). I just wish Klingon players could get some more new screenshots of our content to keep us excited, not another batch of eagerly awaited images that ends up just making us feel ignored. Look at it, THREE new shots and not even one shows anything about Klingons: Federation gets 2 of 3 depicting playable content (ships, personnel) and the third is non-playable NPC ships?

*Sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ship being attacked in the third picture a Klingon transport?
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Kryptic, seriously, show us some Klingons, we Federation need to know who we are fighting against... ^^
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I hate to be negative, however the in game screenshots compared to the space shots aren't all that great.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidy View Post
I think it's a Luna and difinately and Soyuz in pic. 1. Pic 2 is overkill, and pic 3 is awesome!
Sorry, but it's definitely a Centaur. Just look at the forum's November 26th Screenshot section.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade View Post
It's possible that purple "beam" is a status effect? For instance, in some games if you get stunned, rooted, etc an effect will kick off to show that has happened. Could be that, maybe.

The PURPLE looks like a Mental Attack from the 'center' Remain. If you enlarge the shot and look at it, you can see he looks to be concentrating on something.

So I think its a MENTAL ATTACK.