Lt. Commander
# 51
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvid View Post

To the best of my knowledge, this has never been identified as a Klingon vessel.
Well, in DS9 that ship has appeared three times as a Cardassian ship and once as a Klingon ship.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/groumall.htm
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-09-2009, 06:50 PM
It looks like the security officer being shot is a Bolian, by the pattern on the back of his head. What's the purple stuff coming from his head though?
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Nice! These are especially nice because they show a little bit more of the game in action. Thanks for posting this!
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
great screenshots love the action in them
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
The visuals and environments are so beautiful, so full of depth, thats its a shame the maneuvering model isnt fleshed out to match.

It looks, or at least feels so true to form, realistic and alive...yet I fear it will be all lost once you see and experience the artifically restricted movement of the ships. It would be such a let down if the ships seem to just "skate" around through those environments in the typical MMO detached and jerky kind of manner....the same goes if they move very fluid and gracefully, but find they cant use that same grace in the vertical plane or rotate fully in th eother axis.
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Beauties as usual Cryptic. Keep up the great work!
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm freakin DYING to play this.
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Child
It's a Groumall type freighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
Well, in DS9 that ship has appeared three times as a Cardassian ship and once as a Klingon ship.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/groumall.htm
Thanks for the links. I had forgotten that this type of freighter had appeared (only once) as a Klingon freighter -- but I'm not surprised it was a re-use of a model that was originally intended as a Cardassian freighter.

The fact that this same (or at least similar) design of freighter was in use by the Cardassians, Klingons, and others (in the Nekrit Expanse in the Delta Quadrant) could lead one to assume that it would be a rather common design which may be built by an independent construction corporation and then purchased and employed by various races.

This type of freighter definitely isn't a signature Klingon design. When it appeared as a Klingon freighter it didn't even display the Klingon trefoil emblem. Either way, it would not be a playable ship for the Klingon faction, as this is a freighter, not a military ship of the Klingon Defense Force. I'd much rather see a screenshot of a Bird-of-Prey (B'rel, K'vort), K't'inga, Negh'Var, or the Klingon carrier, instead of a generic NPC freighter which may or may not be Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
That purple thing looks like its in the shape of a hand or claw. Remans look pretty cool

And the last screenshot, typical Cardasian aggression, won't they ever learn? Ha ha ha
Lt. Commander
# 60
07-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Some quickie reactions:

1. Anyone else notice how the Federation ship is flying through the explosion...

...which visually answers a question some of us were asking in another thread just three weeks ago?

2. In that same picture, I'm pleasantly surprised to see large pieces of debris flying away engulfed in plasma pyrotechnics. That's a very nice touch.

(It actually reminds me of the final scene of Koyaanisqatsi where what's left of an exploded rocket casing tumbles end-over-end in slow motion for several minutes, spitting out gouts of flame as it dies.)

3. Who the heck is the Reman standing just below and to the left of the Feddie flying through the air?

Was someone reusing a character from Champions Online?

What is that character doing (other than not firing a ranged weapon)? And why in the world is he or she wearing a cape?

"I debuff you with my magical +8 Superpower of Debuffification!"

Ack. Say it ain't so.... (Personal opinion there, of course.)

4. The lighting on the Galors seems nice. Like Kade, though, I'm not wild about seeing multiple simultaneous bursts from the same emitter. I suppose some concessions have to be made, but still.

All that said, there's really nothing to seriously dislike about these new images, and quite a lot to like. Thanks, Cryptic!

Now, with all due respect to my Klingon-playing friends, where are the images of ships engaged in exploration of the cosmos, which I've heard is supposedly an important part of Star Trek Online?

--Flatfingers