Lt. Commander
# 11
08-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Lol that's nothing. I was challenged to a 1v1 while flying around ESD; I didn't know the guy, he was in a Defiant and probably thought he could make mince meat of a solitary science vessel.

We start the match, he blows up repeatedly; On the 4-0, I wait for him to come out of cloak after respawning...wait...wait...wait. I get bored, start moving around the map throwing sensor scans to uncover the sneaky fellow, he's nowhere in sight.

Result, I wasted about 30 minutes looking for somebody that had logged out
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
The solution is simple and I know of no other MMO besides STO that doesn't do this: when in combat and you logout, there is a 30 second timer before your toon actually leaves the game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I've seen this happen, although not very often, since launch.
Don't know how they could do much about it, but it is most irritating.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Have to agree with hale. No logging in red alert is a simple solution that also doesn't penalize honest dc's. Also right in the fact that I had respect for this player until he pulled this crap last night. His hit and run mentality is irritating to play against, but definately has an alpha that shouldn't be ignored. Hit and run is a strategy thats meant to be part of the game. Logging out is not.
I actually respect all pvp players that are regulars. Pvp has a steep learning curve and anyone willing to overcome this and challenge their abilities playing pvp on a regular basis deserves it IMO. Our pvp base seems to be constantly shrinking, so its in our best interest to try to encourage new players to learn to enjoy pvp. Behavior like this only serves to drive ppl back into PVE's warm embrace...
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Have to agree with hale. No logging in red alert is a simple solution that also doesn't penalize honest dc's. Also right in the fact that I had respect for this player until he pulled this crap last night. His hit and run mentality is irritating to play against, but definately has an alpha that shouldn't be ignored. Hit and run is a strategy thats meant to be part of the game. Logging out is not.
I actually respect all pvp players that are regulars. Pvp has a steep learning curve and anyone willing to overcome this and challenge their abilities playing pvp on a regular basis deserves it IMO. Our pvp base seems to be constantly shrinking, so its in our best interest to try to encourage new players to learn to enjoy pvp. Behavior like this only serves to drive ppl back into PVE's warm embrace...
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Other MMO's enforce disconnect-zombie mode, where player characters remain active in game for a fixed time period after the server loses contact with their game client. This prevents the intentional mid-combat log-outs from being exploited as a "time-out-on-demand.". Users can still intentionally disconnect, but their ship will still die if already being shot at and near-dead.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
That certainly works for me too. It doesn't hurt anyone suffering from stability issues but it doesn't help those looking to exploit this "tactic".
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
There are 3 types of "loggin out" or rather disappearing in game:
1- You are disconnected from the server for whatever reason ( internet down,cryptic bug...)
2- You join a pvp instance while you are in Kerrat in another pvp battle -the moment the counter goes zero and u move to the next map u disappear from the one u were just in.
3- The so called fed "battle cloak" or "battle log out" or " ***** ooops:p...
In the former 2 situations you simply disappear from the map u are currently in AND YOU DO NOT APPEAR IN THE /WHO LIST OF PLAYERS IN THE INSTANCE ! In contrast in the 3d type of logging ,the DELIBERATE one ,first it appears as if you ARE WARPING out of the sudden and vanish ONLY TO RE APPEAR 2 secs later AT THE RESPAWN SITE OF THE INSTANCE.In the 3d type YOU ARE STILL ON THE LIST OF PLAYERS IN THE GAME ,simply BECAUSE U ACTUALLY NEVER LEFT !

Now you might ask : "How the hell do they do that ?" Well,i was so damn puzzled myself.Was it a some form of exploit or some type of router hax ? NO. Took me weeks to get to the bottom of this ,and THIS IS HOW ANYONE CAN PERFORM THE "FED BATTLE CLOAK":
The moment you decide its time to disappear as you are going down simply VISIT YOUR BRIDGE !!! Yes you can do that while under RED ALERT....This will transfer u to your bridge and away of the sight of those eager to kill you klingons !!!:p .Afterward all u need to do is get back into space view which respawn you to the formal respawn position in the map.

I have never seen a Klingon player doing this coward action.Fortunately there are around 3-4 max of players who do this systematically whenever they are going down.I know of course the names of them.
With the exeption of that one guy u have already described the others indeed find this to be a rather legitimate measure to deprive the win of the enemy.
It is obvious that these individuals have a very low self esteem and a very pee ego at the same time.
Not a very good combo for gaming.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I've certainly been victim to the odd DC or even situations where I can't fire weapons and have had to exit and restart although on one of those occasions I stayed in to let Hale beat up on me (he needs some wins now and then :p)

I have no issues with not being let back into the match on a DC or required logout if it will stop some folks from logging to avoid a death. I've seen one in particular who you can count on to always do that. I tried talking to the guy but he just didn't care.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Something that irritates me almost as much as logging out? Spending the whole match running away, and not doing a damn thing in combat. SOB knows exactly whom I'm referring to there