Lt. Commander
# 11
08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Sorry, but after seeing what JMS did with Legend of the Rangers; all that comment means is Warner Brothers sees no future in having the B5 franchise; if JMS is stupi...er willing to give them some money to take it off their hands, more power to him. In the economy; and with both Star Trek and rumblings from George Lucas that he wants to do another trilogy - I doubt he'll find anyone interested in funding another B5 projetct.

And he can thank the lackluster performance of the Firefly feature film Serenity in that it showed major studios that honestly, no, a niche fanbase isn't enough to make money off of - and B5 has/had the smallest niche fanbase of all.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Sorry, but after seeing what JMS did with Legend of the Rangers; all that comment means is Warner Brothers sees no future in having the B5 franchise; if JMS is stupi...er willing to give them some money to take it off their hands, more power to him. In the economy; and with both Star Trek and rumblings from George Lucas that he wants to do another trilogy - I doubt he'll find anyone interested in funding another B5 projetct.

And he can thank the lackluster performance of the Firefly feature film Serenity in that it showed major studios that honestly, no, a niche fanbase isn't enough to make money off of - and B5 has/had the smallest niche fanbase of all.
Legend of the Rangers sucked, true.

But I liked the Firefly movie... but then again all shows I like get cancelled.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains.

Babylon 5, has had a huge impact on me as a science fiction lover and a role player. More so than Star Wars and Star Trek I am not ashamed to say. It was unlike any show i've encountered before or since. The "Novel for TV" concept was great, and no other show has really done it well since. The writing was beyond spectacular, and the acting was superb. It is a shame that many of the actors have passed, Andreas Katsulas is a man the Media will miss dearly, and who will never in my mind be replaced.

That said B5 should not return, it can't return, to many are gone that cannot return, but the legacy can remain. Crusade, the firefly of its time, could be reborn, and continue that five year tale.

Addendum:

Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight was not as bad as it reputation holds. It was not... great no. But its air date, being aired at the same time as the NFL AFC Divisional Championship game, killed it, which was in all likely hood a purposeful decision. As the east coast ratings for the movie tanked. When it aired on the west coast it exceeded the ratings estimate, problem was, the average of the two was used.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Just a shame we can't have more G'Kar. Andreas Katsulas, you gave us both G'Kar and Tomalak, who while only a minor recurring character, was still one of the best Trek villains of all time... I'll always miss you. Seriously, guy rocked. He just really, really loved smoking.

Anywho... C'MON, more B5! Time to proove, once and for all, that Star Wars is at best the third best Sci-Fi series of all time. That said, I'd put it behind Doctor Who and Firefly, too. :p Sure, Empire was AMAZING: but Firefly never had Jayne Cobb dealing with Jar Jar Binks (course, I imagine his "dealings" would involve a hail of gunfire). Absolutely love B5, BEST written Sci-Fi series ever and one of the best written shows ever. Would love for JMS to maybe recapture some of that magic... he just needs to start lettting things be awesome quicker, least we end up with Crusade... which was just starting to show greatness a little too late after such a fugly start.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains.

Babylon 5, has had a huge impact on me as a science fiction lover and a role player. More so than Star Wars and Star Trek I am not ashamed to say. It was unlike any show i've encountered before or since. The "Novel for TV" concept was great, and no other show has really done it well since. The writing was beyond spectacular, and the acting was superb. It is a shame that many of the actors have passed, Andreas Katsulas is a man the Media will miss dearly, and who will never in my mind be replaced.
From the most recent Science Fiction series, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica have for me a very special place in the history of science fiction TV, and they kinda do it from opposite ends - Babylon 5 with a fully developed story, a "grand plan", and Battlestar Galactica as a show where the writers developed the story as they went along, seeing where the story lead them. I find both did their respective way in brilliant ways that set standards for future Science Fiction. All along their way, they developed complex characters with their own individuals, and told equally complex stories.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Sorry, but after seeing what JMS did with Legend of the Rangers; all that comment means is Warner Brothers sees no future in having the B5 franchise [...]
WB has approached JMS on at least three different occasions about new B5 projects after LOTR - The Lost Tales, the theatrical project The Memory of Shadows, and a third project I will detail now. (TMoS, by the way, had two finished script drafts, a hired director, and a filming start date all set before the project was ultimately cancelled - nine months before the release of Serenity.)

Last year Warner Bros. approached JMS to produce a new Babylon 5 project for a new distribution system they (and others) were attempting to get up and running. JMS's terms included: full creative control; $2-3 million budget per episode; and to commission a full season.

WB agreed to those terms. This was to be a "new and rebooted" series. (As information I'll quote at the end of this post suggests, it sounds like "new and rebooted" in JMS's context would not have meant a BSG-style reboot but more comparable to how Roddenberry treated The Next Generation compared to The Original Series. This, however, is only speculation; no confirmation has been given, so far as I'm aware, of JMS's specific intended usage of that term.)

Unfortunately, the participants for this new distribution system caused the negotiations to drag on for over a year, and the whole process eventually fell apart. JMS has characterized that as the participants being unable to "make the math work."

At that point JMS has said he informed WB that if that process wasn't going to move forward, there was something else they needed to consider, and now "informal negotiations" are proceeding on that front.

(If anyone remembers JMS's "Ask me again after April" comment, that was referring to the possibility of the new project through the now-defunct new distribution system.)

I can't find the thread this came from, but the following information came from JMS via his "Fans of J. Michael Straczynski" Facebook fan page earlier this month:
Quote:
1. G'Kar wouldn't be a character recast; he'd be a Religious figure, ala G'quon.
2. Can't have a show called Babylon 5 without a Babylon 5, which is no more in the current continuity.
3. It wouldn't start or end the same, and paths taken would be different.
4. It's not economically feasible this many years later to do a straight sequel.
5. He's learned alot about what did and didn't work the first time around.
6. Technology has advanced.
At the moment there's no reason to assume any of that information relates directly to the informal negotiations that JMS is currently involved in with WB. It relates only to the project for that distrubution system that never got off the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I hate reboots.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Doubt it, don't get me wrong B5 had a great story but too much time has past to really bring it back. The sets are gone, some of the actors are dead (R.I.P. Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs and Jeff Conaway) and the show ended from a good point, let it stay that way.
Oh no! I didn't know Jeff Conaway died.

I knew he had trouble with drugs, but missed news of his passing. He was great on Taxi which I fell in love with on Nick-at-Night.

Anyway, a belated R.I.P. for Mr. Conaway.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-18-2011, 06:09 AM
I enjoyed B5, I'm sure I'll enjoy what's to come. I'd rather have story continuation. I am no longer linking the reboot and prequel fetish. Some reboots are good though.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I love B5 and am happy to hear Walter Koenig enjoyed playing Bester. I don't want a reboot since that will ruin everything so doing what they did with TNG would be better.