Lt. Commander
# 21
08-18-2011, 07:29 AM
^ In reading over again the small amount of information JMS released regarding that proposed reboot, I am starting to think that perhaps he did mean it would have been a second take on the original story. But that might not have been a bad thing, as he did say he learned a lot about what worked and what didn't.

If that series had been able to move forward, there may also have been the possibility that it would have been far closer to his original plans than was the series we did end up with - the most noticeable examples being, of course, Michael O'Hare leaving the show, and season four needing to conclude the series when it seemed unlikely the show would get a fifth season.

Of course, since he could only say so little about it so far, everything we say about it is admittedly pure speculation only - and even some of this speculation may not hold together when based on that information, since JMS also referred to the lack of a Babylon 5 station in "current continuity."

In the end: Who knows? It could be years before we know exactly what initial plans JMS had for the reboot concept; hell, he may never have gotten past the stage of what he has revealed!

As much as I do love the original incarnation (even its flaws within the series proper, and even the flawed attempts at other stores in the same universe), I would have been (and will be, if anything does happen) onboard for anything new B5-related JMS would have made (or will make).
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd love to see more b5. Especially, although i know that is unlikely, i'love to see a conclusion to Crusade.

However, I believe what B5 made great is using the benefits of a series - long build up for characters, events ect.
A feature film cant deliver that, it would end up to be little more then a random sci fi movie with a b5 paint. Although, "little more" is, of course, still better then nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-18-2011, 12:12 PM
i cant seen him rebooting it, as unlike shows like star trek and battlestar, b5 is a) not that old and b) has such a tight complex story that any reboot would just end up bein the same thing bith better fx. i think it wold have to be set after the show in some form.

either dealing with the drakh war and doing something we have not seen on screen but do know a little about and sort of wrapping up the lose ends from B5 and crusade, or just going much further out and doing something brand new like TNG did to TOS.

A reboot would be interesting to see but i cant see it working. much like star trek was after TOS there is a lot of room for new stories if they pull a TNG type show and go for 100% new characters and story. i worry he will do a george lucas and just concentrate everything around his old work and never move forward.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-18-2011, 01:46 PM
On the note of the new B5 being a "retake" and closer to how it was originally conceived... I could get into that if they did it right and had the budget to do so. One thing I hate about reboots is how they never seem to stay true to the original author's ideals. I love hearing when reboots are going to follow more closely to what the original author(s) had in mind. Battlestar and V reboots are two examples this. I know, many didn't like the new V but many of us old time fans did. I know I absolutely love the retelling of the V story, a telling that is more in line with how it was supposed to be, before the rating big-wigs got a hold of the scripts with the originals.

Anyway, all a successful reboot needs is a huge budget, good acting, great writers and the fan-base to support it. Looks like the latter is in no short supply, thankfully. Let's hope the rest falls in place.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-18-2011, 03:53 PM
From JMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Michael Straczynski
Walter misspoke: I am not in negotiations with WB to develop more Babylon 5.
So, no new B5 negotiations going on at all. That's that. I'm thinking Koenig was a little out-of-date and probably speaking about the previous attempt at a new series through that "new distribution system."
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogobstopper
From JMS:

So, no new B5 negotiations going on at all. That's that. I'm thinking Koenig was a little out-of-date and probably speaking about the previous attempt at a new series through that "new distribution system."
Well...fudge.

As a previous poster mentioned, Season 1 was rather dry (didn't feel like JMS quite had the Arc in place then), 2-4 were awesome, and 5 was all over the place. Such good writing, such well-developed and complex characters who just got better and better as time went on IMO (okay, it was space opera sometimes but it was also darn smart).

I miss it but I also value what there is and would be guarded about any new series (and would not want a reboot a la BSG).
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
In Valen's name, AWESOME!!!
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
http://trekmovie.com/2011/08/17/koen...tor-to-chekov/

I Don't know about you. but this is the greatest thing I've heard all day. I've gone through Babylon 5 so many times that I can't even remember. the series is truly a masterpiece of Science Fiction.

What are you thoughts on this?
I loved B5 growing up, but I think we should leave it alone now. Don't ruin a good thing you know?
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
As a previous poster mentioned, Season 1 was rather dry (didn't feel like JMS quite had the Arc in place then), 2-4 were awesome, and 5 was all over the place. Such good writing, such well-developed and complex characters who just got better and better as time went on IMO (okay, it was space opera sometimes but it was also darn smart).
Oh, the arc was fully in place. JMS did, after all, have the series mapped out before it ever went into production. It may be more subtle in season one than in the subsequent seasons, but that's because season one by necessity also had to deal with a great deal of world-building. Season five was "all over the place" because it wasn't really part of the original plan; JMS had to compress the original season five plan into the back half, more or less, of season four because he didn't expect a renewal. The series finale "Sleeping in Light," for example, was originally filmed during season four production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally_of_the_Force View Post
In Valen's name, AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I loved B5 growing up, but I think we should leave it alone now. Don't ruin a good thing you know?
You two might want to read the full thread - nothing is currently in the works. At all.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuboyT View Post
Sad that the sequel Crusade got so messed up by TNT, still a dang good show, what little of it there was. Too bad the straight-to-DVD stories didn't do better.

Have you seen the blopper reels? HILARIOUS!
Yep.

Crusade is one of many brilliant tv series that never got past the first or second season.

More B5 would be great. I wonder if it would be additional to the existing timeline or a "re-imagining".