Lt. Commander
# 1 Flying shuttles to/from earth
08-18-2011, 07:55 AM
It would be pretty cool to see shuttles that we can pilot to go from ESD to the Academy.and vice versa.

There could be a preset flight path which could be programmed in but we could travel and be inside our shuttles piloting them from the bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Yup I think that would be cool but I'd prefer if they fixed some of the other problems first.
No ofence to the devs as I think they are doing a great job, just goes to show what happens when a
game is released too early
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Cool idea yes but not really trek. How many times was it cited that shuttles were an unusual annoyance considering transporter technology? The adding of shuttles to occasional circumstances in missions was accepted by devs as something that may be added in the future but is not even on long term projections yet. At least we can get in a shuttle without going back to space dock.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-18-2011, 01:47 PM
How about a compromise?

Let us beam down to ESD, Academy, DS9, K 7, SB 39, Qu'nos, Drazona, etc from our bridges no matter if we were in our star ships OR the cool new bridges we got for our shuttle crafts? Then we can RP it out that we are taking a shuttle craft down, at least in transporter range (even though it is possible to beam down from space as we already know).

Although, it would be nice to utilize the shuttle craft hanger above the academy building. But as gmccabe01 stated, I would rather them fix other problems AND add other content and focus on that first and foremost then work on the aesthetics and other cosmetic parts of STO. I personally want a Chief medical officer chosen from my BOffs (where I can buy medical supplies i.e. large hypos and Shield Charges), Head of Engineer chosen from my Boff (where I can buy ship consumables), and Head of Security etc (where I can buy power cells and stuff), if not for the practical purposes but also for the Rp experience and individuals. But new content is what we all want first so the needs of the many and all.

The only problem I see with sing the beam down to (station or social spots) from any bridge when in orbit, since I am not a dev or a game creator, is to script the game where STO knew when we was in locations like those above to have it as an option. But from a layman's point of view it seems possible since it knows to display DS9, ESD, SB 39, K 7, Qu'nos, Drazona, and etc. on screen when we are on the bridges.

One more thing that is possible is, there is a cut screen video when you go down to Vulcan on that mission maybe the option to beam down or take a shuttle craft could be done with a FMV cut screen of the event, AND maybe allow you to bring one BOff down to these locations if you do take a shuttle craft for those who wanted to bring down their BOffs ( I saw a thread a couple of times of the year and half so why not kill 3! birds with one stone). Just another monkey wrench to the thought process...AFTER more content, of course.

I like compromises...and new content.

LL&P

=/\=
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Cool idea yes but not really trek. How many times was it cited that shuttles were an unusual annoyance considering transporter technology? The adding of shuttles to occasional circumstances in missions was accepted by devs as something that may be added in the future but is not even on long term projections yet. At least we can get in a shuttle without going back to space dock.
I wana shuttle bay!! Wah!!!

BTW that realy is me whining about this not the post before. I'm whining so that I'm not accused of it later, (wrap your head around that one %I)

But in all seroiusness it would be nice to go to a shuttle bay, rather that a transporter, to transport me to my shuttle in the shuttle bay.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Not true that it's not "trek". Shuttles are still widely used especially if a ship is undergoing repair and transporter systems are offline. Heck, even in the old and the new series, "Bones" McCoy was not a fan of transporter technology.. or even a shuttle ride for that matter. But still.. saying that it's not trek isn't a reason to not implement down the line.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
I think it could be kinda fun to fly a shuttle down to a planet as an option. Admittedly transporters should have made shuttle virtually obsolete in most situations. Thing is you see them allot on the movies when on earth in the background fairing people about. not to mention in space dock how many times did they show the captain or crew arriving on a ship in a shuttle before heading off on a mission when a transporter would have been so much quicker. I know its done for the drama factor the audience gets to see the ship in a nice reveal for the first time and their hero looking stalwart on his way to a new adventure.

I have no idea how cryptic would do it or if they could create a complete zone that lets you fly from esd to the university in one go. still seeing a steady stream of folk slam into the cafeteria at full impulse like somebody let loose a rocket pod would be kinda funny.

Maybe they could do something like you go to waiting shuttle in esd sit down or stand and after a set time you get a load screen or cut scene. When it loads you have the last 30 second or 1 minute flight where you can look out a few windows while the shuttle lands at the collage like if you were on the metro. stay on the shuttle and you get treated to the same thing but in reverse and the last 30 seconds to 1 minute flight of your shuttle docking on esd the doors swing open and you can walk out.

I know it doesnt really sounds like all that much its more an immersion/rp deal but what I'd really hope is it leads to is be able to use vehicles under our own control on ground maps. I know the maps are not large in sto but I'm guessing they can be they are a lot bigger in champions. it would be really fun to have stf/fa and pvp maps were players could access stuff like shuttles/fighters and a few ground vehicles. just think about how big the millennium city map is there’s plenty or room for shuttles and vehicles there. image that being some huge fleet action style map.