Lt. Commander
# 1 New and a little Lost
08-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I started playing last week, and have been having great fun, until last night, when I suddenly found myself feeling very lost.

I have a load of quests (missions) which I was happily plodding through, until I hit one where I just got overwhelmed by enemies and blew up in a few seconds. It was a level 5 quest, and I am level 7.

So, I tried another one, a level 4, and the same thing happened.

I did another of the "explore 5 system" quests, then realised I had no goal or reason, apart from getting XP. If there was a story going on, I managed to miss it. If there was a point to me going further, or a place I was attempting to level to reach, I seem to have skipped it.

Is there a point? As fun as it is to fly about, eventually I need a reason to continue - such as "Once you hit commander you get to experience an awesome new storyline!" or "once you are an admiral you get your own planet and space station and the game really takes off!!"

Can those who are experienced guide me as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Hi Palleon,

Which levels did you get overwhelmed in? I certainly remember a few times when things got tough but nothing specific. First thing I would say is that I've always found it easy to recruit people to help me out - the STO community are generally always quick to respond to a distress call! Just ask in the chat window. Or you could join a fleet, it will make finding help even easier.

But to address your questions:
Yes, the story does progress as you level up. There are a whole load of arcs that open up at different ranks - you are probably dealing with Klingons and Gorn where you're at at the moment, right? Well later levels introduce threats from the Cardassians and Jem Hadar, Romulans and Remans, and others. There are 'featured episode series that you can access (the first you can get at them is level 6) with other factions as enemies that I won't spoil. These are all vaguely linked together into a larger plot, and the end game starts to pull these threads together to some extent. The story isn't complete yet so we don't have all the details!
The Foundry (when it is up) is also a source of interesting stories, but obviously none of that is 'official'.

As for the 'explore X nebula' missions, as well as XP they're a good source of data samples (used in crafting) and some missions give you diplomacy XP, which eventually gives you other perks and powers.

You don't get your own planet at Admiral, but obviously you get new ships! There is fantastic variety as you progress - as soon as you get to the next rank you'll have a choice of ships and powers that go with it. I'll be the first to agree that the starter ships are uninspiring to say the least. Fleet starbases are on their way too, though they are probably a while off.

To be honest I don't focus too much on the story myself, I'm a more 'making a badass ship and crew' type of player. I get enough out of the game through tweaking with my ships, weapon and console layout, crew compliment and crafting the best kinds of items. And I can't recommend the 'featured episodes' enough. They are each a bunch of five directly connected missions that have strong story, excellent mission rewards and interesting gameplay. To kick-start those, look for a mission called 'The Vault' - Admiral T'nae will be the one who gives you that.

I'll happily help you out in-game if you want it - look for Blitz@Stompy1 or Jush@Stompy1 on the Federation side and I'll come and back you up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-19-2011, 03:51 AM
There is an ongoing story through the leveling process, roughly each rank and change you progress to a new front, and each front has two or three story arcs that you move between in missions. At your level, that'd be the Klingon front, where the main story arcs are one involving Gorn and a rogue human scientist, and one involving a Klingon general who comes up with increasingly ridiculous ways to destroy the Federation.

A good way to sort out missions, if the title says:

Explore/To Boldly Go: These are exploration missions, which mainly exist to farm loot and scan anomalies. There's no storyline, and the randomly generated nature of the systems you find there will make your brain bleed if you try to impose one.

Patrol the ___ Sector: These are a bit more structured than exploration, but are the same basic concept. Just a series of one-off non-story missions. Good for fast exp and easy loot, but no storyline.

Defend the ___ Sector Block: These are just all out space brawls. No storyline and completely unstructured.

If you want storyline, you want to avoid all of those, and go for actual titled missions. Many of them are plays on classic Star Trek episodes. STOwiki has a good list of them.

Now... about that getting overwhelmed part, some details would help us put together some solid advice. Exactly what was going on? What was the name of the missions? Space or ground? What kind of equipment and powers are you running?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Hi,

thanks for the advice and replies!

To answer the questions about being overwhelmed - I dont remember the mission names sorry, but one was in the "Omar" system as part of a "Patrol the Risa Sector" misson. I warped in, had to destroy some klingon structures, but each one was surrounded by 6 or 7 birds of prey plus a capital ship, which all opened fire at once and I blew up in seconds. I came back in, and went to another structure, but had the same happen again. This was a level 5 mission (I think) and I am a level 7. This was not the first time I have had this.

However, the general feeling of being lost is not just due to the mission. I cant work out how you craft, if you can craft, and what you do there. I have checked wikis but it doesnt seem to say, neither does the manual I found. Even talking to other players is a challenge - I havent yet worked out how to do a "looking for group" message or even reply to tells lol. I feel like a complete noobie again despite being a 14 year MMO veteran! Very sad I know!

I have various other missions in my log that I cant seem to do. One asks me to look for Player Made adventures, but when I do what it says it says "Zero matches". Another one asks me to defend "Starbase 24" but when i go there I get put into some sort of queue, where I then get blown apart in seconds by higher level ships.

And despite being offered alot of missions, I keep getting the impression they are too high level for me.

Also, when I fly between systems I get offered alot of "Deep Space Encounters" which I have been accepting, but which destroy me in literally one hit. I suspect that they are for much higher level players, although why they are in the first sector I dont know yet.

Please dont get me wrong here, I am enjoying the game, and want to enjoy it more - I just feel as though I have no idea whats going on and think I may be missing quite alot!
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-19-2011, 05:15 AM
It sounds like you may be playing with the difficulty slider turned up or that you're entering these missions while teamed. In both cases, it will cause the enemies you are facing to increase in difficulty and number.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-19-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure why you are having so much difficulty with that Omar mission. Do you have shields on your ship? Also make sure you don't pull too many ships into battle at once. Usually birds of prey fly in a pack of 3.

For crafting you might want to check out this sto crafting guide. Basically you'll get a mission which will start you on your way to crafting and it'll even give you a little tutorial. You can use that guide for some background information.

To reply to a tell simply press the Backspace key on your keyboard. If you want to send a tell its /tell username message.

There have been problems with the player made missions, otherwise known as the Foundry, which is why you may not have been able to find any.

The Starbase 24 mission is a fleet action that must be completed with other people which is why you are put into a queue. You do not have to beat this mission to continue through the game.

Any mission you get is within the right amount of levels for you. If you want I could try to meet up with you in the game and help out. Send me a private message on here and we'll talk.

Sometimes a higher level player will be inside a Deep Space Encounter (DSE) which will raise the level of all the enemy ships. This is why you find yourself being destroyed in 1 hit.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks Attilio, thats very helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palleon View Post
Hi,

thanks for the advice and replies!

To answer the questions about being overwhelmed - I dont remember the mission names sorry, but one was in the "Omar" system as part of a "Patrol the Risa Sector" misson. I warped in, had to destroy some klingon structures, but each one was surrounded by 6 or 7 birds of prey plus a capital ship, which all opened fire at once and I blew up in seconds. I came back in, and went to another structure, but had the same happen again. This was a level 5 mission (I think) and I am a level 7. This was not the first time I have had this.
I did this particular mission without serious problems thats why I want to ask few questions. When you approach each facility are thos birds of prey and capital ship in one big group or in several smaller? If they are in smaller groups engage one at the time and keep atleat 15 km distance to others. Also remember to balance your shields.

Quote:
However, the general feeling of being lost is not just due to the mission. I cant work out how you craft, if you can craft, and what you do there. I have checked wikis but it doesnt seem to say, neither does the manual I found. Even talking to other players is a challenge - I havent yet worked out how to do a "looking for group" message or even reply to tells lol. I feel like a complete noobie again despite being a 14 year MMO veteran! Very sad I know![/OUTE]Have you already visited Memory Alpha and completed introduction quest given by Commander Romaine?

[QOUTE]I have various other missions in my log that I cant seem to do. One asks me to look for Player Made adventures, but when I do what it says it says "Zero matches".
This is because Foundry is down. If I'm correct it should work again after today's patch.
Quote:
Another one asks me to defend "Starbase 24" but when i go there I get put into some sort of queue, where I then get blown apart in seconds by higher level ships.
Quote:
And despite being offered alot of missions, I keep getting the impression they are too high level for me.

Also, when I fly between systems I get offered alot of "Deep Space Encounters" which I have been accepting, but which destroy me in literally one hit. I suspect that they are for much higher level players, although why they are in the first sector I dont know yet.

Please dont get me wrong here, I am enjoying the game, and want to enjoy it more - I just feel as though I have no idea whats going on and think I may be missing quite alot!
What difficulty are you playing with? Normal or something harder? Are you Engineering, Tactical or Science captain? It would be nice if you describe how you engage enemy, what weapons/equipment you use in your ship and what kind of Boffs you have and what skills you use? This would help us in giving advice how to improve and see if there is small crucial error which keep you getting hammered. In DSEs (Deep Space Encounter) its important to avoid getting attacked by several ships at the same time. Try maintaining distance between groups and engage only one group at the time.

EDIT: Looks like I'm too slow writer...
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Hi,
To answer the questions about being overwhelmed - I dont remember the mission names sorry, but one was in the "Omar" system as part of a "Patrol the Risa Sector" misson. I warped in, had to destroy some klingon structures, but each one was surrounded by 6 or 7 birds of prey plus a capital ship, which all opened fire at once and I blew up in seconds. I came back in, and went to another structure, but had the same happen again. This was a level 5 mission (I think) and I am a level 7. This was not the first time I have had this.!
Suggest you read through the list of missions on STOWiki as this is really a good place to check out each mission in the sector and find out what is going wrong Sometimes you do get these missions that you need to consider from a different angle or even keep being attacked and respawning - check the level you are also setting the difficulty to as this can affect the mission.

Quote:
However, the general feeling of being lost is not just due to the mission. I cant work out how you craft, if you can craft, and what you do there. I have checked wikis but it doesnt seem to say, neither does the manual I found. Even talking to other players is a challenge - I havent yet worked out how to do a "looking for group" message or even reply to tells lol. I feel like a complete noobie again despite being a 14 year MMO veteran! Very sad I know!
Crafting is done on on Memory Alpha in the Memory Alpha System but you'll need sufficient elements picked up from missions to various nebulars or when in a local secotr space, pressing V shows anomolies that you can pick up near planets or on the ground that may help. Do this on each "mission" and you will find some hidden gems.

As for Looking for Groups, this is something you can do generally by selecting a player and talking to them - joining a group is only by invite but you can always form your own when you enter a deep space encounter and invite others by selecting their ship, right-click on their details and "invite to Group".

Quote:
I have various other missions in my log that I cant seem to do. One asks me to look for Player Made adventures, but when I do what it says it says "Zero matches". Another one asks me to defend "Starbase 24" but when i go there I get put into some sort of queue, where I then get blown apart in seconds by higher level ships.
Player Made Adventures (or Foundry Missions) have been offline for a few weeks or so but now should be back on Holodeck so this may have been fixed. As for Starbase 24, it can be tough to do this mission if you join the Fleet Battle so try and enter this when a lot more Fed ships are taking part as they can help - otherwise, try and gain more rank and a better ship first. You can revist missions or come back to them later if you prefer

Quote:
These are encounters in sector space that typically already have a Fed ship involved (glowing cloud of ships circling each other in Sector Space) so best to either join a group or move toward other Fed ships on the Map to give you cover - don't take on the enemy ships yourself until you have more rank or a better vessel I guess.

Make sure too, you improve your ranking grades as soon as you get more XP in the game as this leads to better and better stats overall and help you out. Also keep your BOFFs topped up with the XP so that they have the maximum skills on your ship to help in Battle. Finally, spend time assessing the weapons you collect in battle vs the ones installed in your ship - making slight changes in space can even up a battle and help you win.

If needed, give me a shout and I'll jump in to support you if needed
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Make sure to turn off autoteaming under the social menu. Your problem with the Omar mission is probably due to somebody else also warping in, getting auto teamed with you, and either leaving or simply not helping. Normally you'll run into small frigate groups and an occasional cruiser, but not at the same time. However, add a second player and frigate groups pick up a cruiser, cruisers become battleships, battleships become a battleship with friends, and things scale up the bigger the team gets.