Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I met Majel Barrett Roddenberry at the Vegas convention in...2005 or 2006, as I recall - by this time she was sick, in a wheelchair. I asked her, "Mrs. Roddenberry, did Gene ever foresee his creation becoming so big?" She told me, "I don't think anyone ever foresaw that." The fact it has is a credit to the man behind it - whatever his faults, without him we would not have this ever-changing universe.

Happy birthday, Gene, in whatever part of the cosmos you've gone to.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-19-2011, 12:35 PM
If only Gene was still around...

We would have had all the TNG movies, and JJ wouldn't have been allowed to make (2009) possibly...

Though DS9 and Enterprise might not have been made as well....oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
As posted in my other thread, it is also Jonathan Frakes 59th birthday.

Happy birthday to them both.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I propose another toast to Star Trek; the idea that mankind could live in peace with each other and go out onto the stars to all of the undiscovered countries that lay in wait. The immortality of that idea is now up to us the fans and the creative mind, may there always be kids and grown men and women dreaming of the stars.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Though DS9 and Enterprise might not have been made as well....oh well.
I've seen a few articles and sites that mention that Roddenberry was very much aware of Berman, Pillar, and Paramount's efforts to develop Deep Space Nine. It's doubtful he was very much involved with it, though, considering how poor his health was at the time. Had he lived, though, I have no doubt that he would have been all for its development; he probably would not have allowed it to develop as it did, though. As good a series as it was (IMHO), certain elements of the show, especially Section 31 and the episode "In the Pale Moonlight," probably would have never made it into the series had Gene still been around.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-20-2011, 11:09 AM
I hope Gene is rolling some dice with Gygax and Arneson somewhere in the Q-Continuum right now...

*raises glass*
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Chateau Picard...

*raises glass!*