Lt. Commander
# 271
08-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't expect anyone to post it, but i really would like to see oficial sales numbers for the Rhode Island and how they compare to other skins/balanced ships.

Edit: And maybe they can release the next ship as a dual tier ship (officer slots you can't use until next promotion) and middleground stats to compare those sales to the Rhode Island.
Lt. Commander
# 272
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
I don't expect anyone to post it, but i really would like to see oficial sales numbers for the Rhode Island and how they compare to other skins/balanced ships.

Edit: And maybe they can release the next ship as a dual tier ship (officer slots you can't use until next promotion) and middleground stats to compare those sales to the Rhode Island.
Actually, if every ship had a commander station where the highest boff station on the ship was, that'd give a single scaling station for all ships, as the player can't use the skill until they rank up and promote the boff anyway...

Couple that with the hull and shield scaling of the shuttlecraft and we'd have better scaling ships for players...
Lt. Commander
# 273
08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Fixed. Now it makes sense.
Thanks for that fix, for a moment I thought I was out of my Vulcan mind
Lt. Commander
# 274
08-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Simply put, thank you but I will pass.
Lt. Commander
# 275
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
it reminds me of my first car. an austin metro '87 with about 10 previous owners. It was ok and got me around. One day i went all out and treated myself to a new gearbox and CHOME gear knob! Though i spent 200 on a 150 rust bucket..... at the end of the day, it was still a '87 metro.
(with 4 working gears)

terrahawx
Lt. Commander
# 276
08-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Okay, so I understand and agree with the people upset about a markedly better ship being sold in the store. When it becomes available in game, tho, I'm perfectly fine with it being better than the other tier 2 ships.

I have played other MMOs (WoW, CoX, CO, LotRO, and now STO) and when you get ready to do raids or whatever, people expect you to be geared up. Suddenly a new gear set comes out that makes the old one obsolete. It sucks, but it happens. Now everybody is scrambling to get the new set. Same can be said of the ships. I'm imagining missions or emblems or whatever to unlock the RI, and at first, for the first 5 levels of Lt. Com. nobody can get the RI because it's just not feasible. Once you get higher up, though, the new gear, or in this case, ship becomes available and the old one, while still usable and viable, just isn't as good. You try to do any FAs or whatever at lower levels, like... well, if Starbase 7 ever gets fixed, you try to join and people expect you to have the best stuff available to ensure you are good enough. It's just part of the game. I expect there to be better versions of every tier available in game. It's just more gear. And since apparently you can use the other ship skins, you don't even have to give up your neat looking ship, just use the version that has the increased abilities. People act like they expect their one ship to be viable forever and for there to never be better stuff for them. Hey, if you want the game to stagnate, then you might as well quit now.
Lt. Commander
# 277
08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecaveman View Post
... And since apparently you can use the other ship skins, you don't even have to give up your neat looking ship, just use the version that has the increased abilities. People act like they expect their one ship to be viable forever and for there to never be better stuff for them. Hey, if you want the game to stagnate, then you might as well quit now.
Unfortunately, for me to have gotten a ship with increased abilities before this I 'would have had to' give up my 'neat looking ship', My VA Tactical is still flying a Nova.

I was disappointed, as well as probably many others here, that this ship was released this way and not as a Tier 5 ship.

I did want a more powerful version of my favorite ship.
I do not like how this situation has developed.
I have not purchased the RI.

I'm pretty much at 'voice my opinions and see how things go' .
Lt. Commander
# 278
08-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Why does a T2 have to be able to beat a T5 to be overpowered?
That is, quite frankly, an idiotic notion.
this ^^

to be clear, a ship doesn't have to be able to take on something 3 tiers about it to be overpowered. nor does it have to 'one shot a tactical cube' or any such nonsense. even pay to win doesn't refer to those.

what overpowered refers to the situation in which one ship in a tier (in this case the rhode island) has stats and/or abilities that other similar ships in its tier do not have. which the RI does. whether its a little overpowered or a lot is irrelevant. overpowered is overpowered.

the ship is a bad enough idea on its own, to say nothing of the horrible precedent it sets. either they are taking this game in a very bad direction as a subscription game or they are laying the groundwork for a free to play system. which is starting to look more and more likely when taken with some of the other changes that have been made. whether that will be sooner or later I don't know, but you can be sure that if it does go that way you won't hear about it from any staff until very shortly before it happens.

frankly at this point i'm nearly done with this game regardless. I don't like the direction the game is going in or the way that we get treated by devs and admins. so unless cryptic gets its act together very soon i'll be gone permanently the second fallout online comes out
Lt. Commander
# 279
08-28-2011, 06:59 AM
I think it was prudent to test this idea on a tier 2 ship. I suspect that the real problem here is this not being a higher tier ship, because for many of us, when we really like a ship, we want it for longer than just a tier, and this one doesn't satisfy that wish for Nova lovers. Though most people don't give this as their main objection, it seems that this thread runs consistent with posts that are pro, con, or neutral.
Lt. Commander
# 280 Agree - Bad precedent
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meynolt View Post
Agreed, furthermore there's a genuine threat of this ship setting an example for future C-store ships. Imagine a T5 C-store only ship with 2 Cmdr. BO slots. It's something that is fairly likely to happen if things like the Rhode Island are tolerated ladies and gentlemen, think about that.
I totally agree with this, as well as the general negative feedback. Although I am something of a C-Store nut; I am passing on this.

Cryptic, in my opinion, needs to seriously re-think this one.