Lt. Commander
# 51
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrexianHero
One word answer: precedent.

Today Cryptic unveils a ship that's undeniably more powerful than all other Tier 2 ships. Perhaps in a couple months they'll come out with a ship that is C-Store only and more powerful than all other Tier 5 ships. You have 2 options -- play in an inferior ship or pay money to have a competitive edge over those that don't. For me, that's not something I want to see.

This could work although there still needs to be *some* drawback to the Rhode Island over the Nova (as it has an additional console slot and better impulse modifier) -- even if it's something relatively minor like inertia or turn rate.
I don't believe that will happen. Obviously I could be wrong, after all none of us can predict the future, but Dan Stahl has said several times he wants all the ships available in-game. In the past you've acquired them via Emblems but since the Rhode Island is T2, getting it via Emblems wouldn't make much sense. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this ship available in-game after the currency consolidation.

Also remember that this fear isn't a new one. The Gal-X caused a big hub-bub as did the 3 T5 refits. The response for the latter was to make them purchasable in game for 500 Emblems.
Lt. Commander
# 52
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Chiming in here with a "NO THANKYOU" of my own.

I do not like that this is a pay-to-win ship, and I particularly do not like the precedent that this sets going forward with regards to future ship releases.

As a Lifer, it's my C-store purchases that you want, so give me a good, balanced reason to spend
Lt. Commander
# 53
08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
No, I will not endorse Pay-to-win. Nor will I pay for a ship that's useless to any of my characters.

Cryptic's blind determination to ram this questionable business decision down the playerbase's throat is quite disheartening.
Lt. Commander
# 54
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
That would be because while there were plenty who wanted the Rhode Island, there were also plenty who specifically did not want the Rhode Island at T5.
And there were plenty who wanted the T5 version too, maybe even MORE.

Quote:
They should have just made it a new skin and not bothered with a special ability console and altered setup,
Then it wouldn't have been a refit then would it? IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A REFIT. That's not the game's interpretation here, it's the way it was presented in the show/s.

Quote:
then there wouldn't be the negative balance feedback, or anything else; only the complaints by people who wanted it at the T5 level.
How nice, only people who wanted the T5 would have been upset.
Gathering from what I read, there were more than just a few who wanted it at T5, to say "then ONLY they would be complaining", is dismissive.
It makes no sense at all the way this was handled. The previous "refits" in the game brought a popular lower tier ship players wanted to fly at VA, up to T5. This situation would have worked out perfectly, as it was represented that way in the shows! As a true upgraded refit!
Putting a refit on the same tier as the original, while making it MORE powerful, to represent the REFIT, was a bad idea.
Then putting it in the C store only compounded the mistake. Now here we are - discontent all around.
NO ONE'S HAPPY

There's PLENTY of disappointment here to go around.
Lt. Commander
# 55
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
While I don't believe the ship is "pay to win", I have little interest in the ship or the console, and won't be buying it.
Lt. Commander
# 56
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Add me to the folks who don't like the ship. Prove to me I can earn it in game and maybe I'll be ok with Cryptic selling it.

Besides why would I want to re-roll a toon with the ship when I've been playing the same content for months?
Lt. Commander
# 57
08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I'd rather have more costume pieces than rehashed versions of ships that are already in game.

If they have to sell the new stats and abilities then just sell them as the console and leave the ship out of the equation.

The game needs more ship parts not duplicate versions of the ones we already have.
Lt. Commander
# 58
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
At T2, I would have been happy to make a C-Store purchase of a R.I. costume for my Nova. The current arrangement doesn't appeal to me.
Lt. Commander
# 59
08-19-2011, 01:22 PM
As much as I hate to say it I wont be buying it either I do not think.

I love the console and want it lol but the extra boff slot is the real kicker for me and with that there I can not promote or buy the ship. Unless cryptic comes out and says that they will be adding more boff slots to ALL ships then I am ok with it but they have yet to do that.

I am however ok with the ability and it not being a T5 ship. I know that a lot of people want it to be a T5 ship but I just do not see it. If we are putting it in the game then we have to scale the tech back because we can not have one super advanced ship from in the future. If we do that it really is not teched to be a T5 ship. Plus while I know it was shown to be used with the Enterprise J there is not context to what was shown to establish how powerful it was compared to enemy ships of the time or even Federation ships at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 60
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1961
Here's my 2 cents. I like it. I'm gonna buy it. Why? I like to play this game. It's fun for me. I enjoy it, I'll enjoy this ship as well. I appreciate the fact that you try hard to bring me new stuff to buy and that you really try to add value to that. As far as "Pay to Win" goes... What exactly will I win? Is there some prize I don't know about??

I'm giving you a few bucks for something cool. That's it... Thanks for bringing me something cool today...
I like this outlook.
Really, I get that people are worried this will lead to Tier 5.5 ships. But eventuallyall can be earned through in-game grinding. You won't have to purchase a thing outside of the monthly sub. I also have a sneaking suspicion that by the time enough ships are released to reach T5, we'll be introduced to T6 shortly afterwards.

Plus most pvpers are playing at max rank anyways. Yeah the console gives an edge at that rank, but I'm sure we'll get plenty more gadget to play with soon after.