Lt. Commander
# 111
08-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The team agreed that this ship is not going to break the game. Prove them wrong and we will obviously listen.
One Lieutenant Power v. Two Lieutenant Powers when they are the BEST at tier. Two Engineering Consoles v. One Engineering Console allowing the 2.5 Science Ship to TIE the dedicated Engineering ship there. All else is equal between the two ships.

Done.

So you're going to balance this now?

Now the real question is... how did the team agree that this was balanced?

Or is the suggestion that everything is fine unless the power up for sale in the C-Store is insurmountable regardless of player skill, where even the most incompetent schmuck can buy the new ship and take out the "leetest" player ever while AFK...? So that and only that is the point of no return and violating balance right up until that point is fair? When exactly does something qualify as a foul in your book? What level of obvious imbalance do you think we should be willing to accept?

Unless, again, you can show me the negatives of the Rhode Island compared to the Nova.

And again, you said it yourself, 15 more ships across the tiers just like this one on the way...

... you can't expect this is going to just blow over when it keeps on coming for fifteen more ships. Can you?
Lt. Commander
# 112
08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraevac View Post
Can anyone tell me why the Dreadnought is OP? Cause I know I remember hearing about how OP that ship is. How its the "I Win" ship in PvP.
One of the major problems with the forums is that old topics are not allowed to be properly referenced. The Galaxy X was talked to death back when they first put it on the c-store. I can't really point you to those threads because of the penchant for over-moderation around here.

So I'll summarize some of what the debates were about.

1- The ship was the first fed ship given a cloak. That angered a lot of PVPers on the KDF side since the cloak was supposed to be something distinctly klingon and because the federation had some in-the-shows reasons for not using cloaking technology. The Galaxy X sure did have a cloak in the show. But there was definitely room for debate.

2- It was initially the reward for their recruitment initiative. And a lot of people did a lot of work (or bought a lot of separate accounts) to facilitate getting this rare and powerful ship with a cloak.

3- Putting that on the C-Store angered the people who put in the hard work to get it through the recruitment initiative.

So the Galaxy X was basically step one on the entire C-Store debate about how it gives players willing to spend real life dollars something special (and powerful because of the cloak ... everyone thinks the argument was about the lance, it wasn't, it was about the cloak).

The cloak issue was revisited with the Defiant Retrofit.

Remember back then cloaking worked, wasn't bugged, and had some serious advantages in PVP which was still thriving.

Context for the Galaxy X was completely different than today's STO.
Lt. Commander
# 113
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
....deleted in advanced to prevent any undue misunderstandings and or moderation..
Lt. Commander
# 114
08-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701

So, sure, some people may SAY its not overpowered, but people say all sorts of things. Al Gore once said he invented the internet, and my neighbor thinks he's having an alien's baby.

Those people are wrong, and so are the people who don't think the RI is CLEARLY more powerful than the Nova.
Ironically Gore didn't say that, people paraphrased him out of context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore...ion_technology

But, your main point is valid RI is emperically better than its peer.

That said things aren't going to change, better to offer a solution which embraces it. Which is why I now say make all items destructable and require replacements from C-Store to be repurchased. Sell anywhere any time PvP kill rights in the C-Store. Sell theft trait in C-Store so you can steal someone else C-Store gear or Dilithium. Allow players to charge C-Store credits to play their Foundry authored missions. Sell C-Store credits so players may flame each other and devs in forums w/o a ban. Feel free to add to list at no C-Store charge (this offer may not last, limited time only).
Lt. Commander
# 115
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Quote:
The game IS healthy, and despite forum grumbling of lack of content, subs are up yet again. I expect that by the time we hit year 2, STO will be doing even better than it is now. It is easy to analyze the short term and come up with grievances. These forums are only a small subset of the users playing and enjoying the game day in and out.

So love it or hate it, we are where we are and I will continue to be frank and open about what is going on to ensure you are informed of where STO is headed.
I appreciate frankness to be very honest. I likewise do not see STO failing any time soon. For lack of a better reason: You do not make the kind of purchase PW did when you expect the company and the franchise to fail.

I will give you guys one very serious word of advice though... ADVERTISE... I know it is hard to find room in budgets but if you really want to know why some MMO's do so well it is because they Advertise all over the place. WoW does it on TV with big named celebs but you do not have to do that. You can advertise on gaming websites and especially Star Trek related things. Always keep the adds flowing and especially when you do something exciting like launching Season 4 push that for all it is worth.

When I first heard about STO I was really excited but I decided not to join you guys right off the bat because I knew from experience that MMO's start off shaky as a rule. Later when I was getting fed up with my current MMO I had to ask "... Is that STO game still being played? Is it any good these days? Does it have any players?" and I had to hunt you down to find out... Considering the number of gaming sites I visited regularly the fact that I had to hunt you down is not a great sign for your advertising.

So if you find any spare change laying around under desks or whatever you can find please try to get the word out. Your players who love the game will do our part and things like STOKED really help a lot but there is more that could be done even without billion dollar TV budgets.
Lt. Commander
# 116
08-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Quote:
We want to add a TON of new ships to the game.... we are working on 16 new ships as we speak and there are plenty more coming after that. I can appreciate that some players think the Rhode Island is over powered, but there are other players who don't agree. Luckily I can rely on the systems team and our own internal testers to also offer solid feedback on the designs (which they do rather vocally) and we then come to a decision that this ship is probably going to be just fine... just like the Galaxy Dreadnaught has also turned out to be just fine. Now maybe we should have held back the Rhode Island until all of the new ships are out there, but since this ship is lower tier, it was determined that it was ok to release now. I'm not sitting here making these decisions alone. There is an entire team that builds this game saying "good to go". If it turns out to be the horror and dismay that some are worried about, then we'll cross the bridge, but until then we go with our decision.

I've been talking with Perfect World about Klingon Content. It is one of the things I continually beat the drum for with our executive team. STO needs two healthy factions if it is ever going to have solid PVP and territory control games.

Luckily, Perfect World agrees. PVP is a big part of their games. They get it. They want two solid PVP factions as well (as well as a third Romulan faction!). That doesn't mean that I now have an army of people at my disposal to make Klingon Content, but it means that we all agree and that it is going to happen.

Things are move forward, slowly, but they are moving forward. Currently we are all sitting down and reviewing where we want Star Trek Online to be, comparing that to our current revenue and team size, and building the plans that will get us there while remaining financially responsible.

You're preaching to the choir about the lack of content. The last six months have been extremely stressful on Cryptic Studios. When your future isn't certain and your parent company is in a heap of debt, it breeds desperate decisions and the STO team has had a lot off "directives" that it has had to deal with.

Luckily - despite all of that insanity - instead of flying us into the ground and possibly going bankrupt, Atari has sold us to a company that truly loves and cares about MMOs. Freedom to plan for the future is back. Freedom to hire is back. Clarity about what is most important is back. So yeah. Things are looking good.

I'm not trying to deflect all the responsibility away from the team. We have had our own issues as well. Personnel problems. Babies. Team transfers. Inability to replace broken PCs. Loaner PCs that barely meet the minspec for the game. Core code mergers that caused more bugs than it solved. There was even a month with no cups in the kitchen.

So we'll own up to that. But we are where we are at and we're here today doing fine. Perfect World paid as much as they did for Cryptic Studios because we are doing well given what we are, and they see an opportunity for Star Trek to be huge. That makes me smile and hopefully makes you smile too.

This is their investment and they are going to spend money to make money. Something you can't do when you're in debt.

So take it or leave it. That's about as frank as I can get.
Here here. While I might not agree with everything cryptic does I will say I admire anyone who will come to a know overly hostile place and face them and stick to what they say. At the end of the day (as I have said long ago) it is about weather we trust Cryptic and the people that make up the organization or not. I for one do, I for one also am not a fan of some recent decisions but I will go on good faith for the next six or nine months and see what ends up coming out of the pipeline and see how it all balances out.

There is a lot of anger and rage and hurting going on right now because we are all passionate about our ST franchise (and yes we all think of it as ours in various ways). The C-Store has long been since a polarizing subject and so is a company that we do not know and owning Cryptic that deals with such a core American IP. I do feel that in some ways no matter what dev or anyone else says given the way things are right now it will be seen by most through a negative filter but that can not be helped.

A lot of what any leadership says is tainted by those who hear it, I have very practical first hand knowledge and experience at that, and simply ask that all of us who still use these forums not forget what we like about the game despite how upset and mad me might be about some recent topics or long standing lack of certain things. Were all here for ST and love it very much and the last thing we need to do as a community is let our selves tear at each other and the people who make a game we all want to succeed. I am not saying do not voice your opinions or do not be passionately angry and upset but if your that passionate about your disapproval be that passionate about what you approve as well and show it here. We need all need that balance.
Lt. Commander
# 117
08-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Edit: not even worth bothering anymore
Lt. Commander
# 118
08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treckandrus View Post
For what's it's worth I was part of the beta, love the game and am not going anywhere. Despite all the grief about what individuals are not happy with ( whom will probably never be happy ) I think that You guys at cryptic are doing awesome and feel what your doing is for the best. Otherwise you wouldnt be doing it
Agreed! There are a great many people out there who understand that changes take time. We also know that there will always be lots of people who, no matter what is done, will never be happy. But, for those of us who love STO, in spite of the problems that have arisen, thank you for continuing to work things out and improve the game!
Lt. Commander
# 119
08-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
If you don't like the Rhode Island, then don't buy it. The team agreed that this ship is not going to break the game. Prove them wrong and we will obviously listen.
Exactly how do we prove it? Would you like a fraps video of someone tanking a Nova in PVP? Do you want a pile of spreadsheets showing how much healing uptime and throughput is increased by adding a 2nd Lt skill?

We've repeatedly made a strong case with examples of how the ship is breaking with tradition and not offering any drawbacks for its increased power.

So frankly I think its up to you and your powers team to explain to us how its NOT overpowered. Give us some of your reasoning behind adding BO and console slots to a ship without taking away anything to balance it.

I mean, honestly there is a virtual consensus on the forums about this, and we NEVER agree on anything. I know you can't always let the forum respond dictate actions.. but sometimes its pretty obvious when we feel a certain way.

So... sway us. Explain it to us, please.

As far as ways to fix it; Its pretty simple. Just add the console slot and BO slot to the standard Nova as well. Its a common complain that the 1st two tiers of gameplay are a little dull because you don't have enough powers to click, so just go ahead and grant that 2nd Lt. skill across the board to all t2 ships.

The new skin and the quite powerful console is more than enough to justify your C-Store pricetag, and quite frankly, offering OP ships on the C-Store as a carrot to buy them(even temporarily while the "ingame method is sorted) isn't something we're going to tolerate.
Lt. Commander
# 120
08-19-2011, 09:28 PM
....deleted in advanced to prevent any undue misunderstandings and or moderation..