Lt. Commander
# 221
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRain86 View Post
Ok guys here's the point that; I think a lot of people are missing. When the C-store started it was supposed to be only cosmetic, and honestly i completely agree with that. If people want to spend money to make they're uniform or ship look pretty, that's perfectly fine with me.

Now, since there are now several ships in the C-store that give new abilities/Boff slots (whether or not they are OP), now with that there is now a lot of content that affects you in-game especially in PvP. So to give an analogy of the problem we face here think of a F2P game, LOTRO for instance. Now you can play this game for free but really its a glorified demo because you cant get all the content.

Cryptic is setting the precedent now, that if you play STO without buying anything from the C-store then you are basically playing a F2P version of the game where you cant get all the content. But the kicker here is, it isn't F2P, your paying $15 a month to play an MMO but you don't get the whole game.

Please, show me a successful MMO that make's players pay a subscription for an incomplete game.

We are paying our money for this mainly because it is Star Trek and we like that, but at what point do we say "why should I pay subscription and money for stuff in the C-store when i could go play another MMO where i get the whole game for my $15 a month. We all should be outraged! Cryptic is holding our wallets hostage for content!

Several of my fleetmates are considering not renewing they're subscriptions after this fiasco, including a lifer, who can't get his money back might just quit.

Stahl, if all your people care about is $ and subscription numbers, your going to get a serious kick in the pants. If it isn't this month, then its coming soon with the way Cryptic is going.

I Agree with you 100% on this !
Lt. Commander
# 222
08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRain86 View Post
Ok guys here's the point that; I think a lot of people are missing. When the C-store started it was supposed to be only cosmetic, and honestly i completely agree with that. If people want to spend money to make they're uniform or ship look pretty, that's perfectly fine with me.

Now, since there are now several ships in the C-store that give new abilities/Boff slots (whether or not they are OP), now with that there is now a lot of content that affects you in-game especially in PvP. So to give an analogy of the problem we face here think of a F2P game, LOTRO for instance. Now you can play this game for free but really its a glorified demo because you cant get all the content.

Cryptic is setting the precedent now, that if you play STO without buying anything from the C-store then you are basically playing a F2P version of the game where you cant get all the content. But the kicker here is, it isn't F2P, your paying $15 a month to play an MMO but you don't get the whole game.

Please, show me a successful MMO that make's players pay a subscription for an incomplete game.

We are paying our money for this mainly because it is Star Trek and we like that, but at what point do we say "why should I pay subscription and money for stuff in the C-store when i could go play another MMO where i get the whole game for my $15 a month. We all should be outraged! Cryptic is holding our wallets hostage for content!

Several of my fleetmates are considering not renewing they're subscriptions after this fiasco, including a lifer, who can't get his money back might just quit.

Stahl, if all your people care about is $ and subscription numbers, your going to get a serious kick in the pants. If it isn't this month, then its coming soon with the way Cryptic is going.
Fully agree with this. The game is going right down to be a cash grap under the disguise of the Star Trek licence.
Lt. Commander
# 223
08-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGui View Post
The STOboat? Interesting way to picture things relating to this game.

I imagine STO at launch us as being an old hulk, hardly fit to leave port, but very gradually undergoing a massive refit at sea which will hopefully turn her into a grand liner (featured episodes being out first class cabins). The 'crew' are obviously all dedicated and hard working, although their captain has an annoying tendancy to assure passangers that 'all is well' even at moments when the sea can be quite clearly seen pouring into massive holes in the hull, and so it is hard to trust him at this stage. It also seems that on this voyage, passengers are being charged small fee's for all manner of things including extra wardrobe space, soaps in the bathrooms, mllk in their tea, using the elavators to get around and even a fee to get inside some of the restaurants- in fact the $15 ticket for the months cruise really does not seem to get you much at all.

Back in drydock the shipwrights use test models which they keep in a room called 'tribble' to test all manner of changes and new features for the ship. Sadly it seems that regardless of how these tests actually go, new design elements are added to the STOboat even when the testers back on dry land cried out that doing so would add far too much weight to the port side and make the ship very unstable.

Finally, on the Bridge of the STOboat, a tired and overworked Captain dstahl gazes out into a foggy night, he has in his hand several ice warnings which have urged him to change course before sundown, he has ignored them. To his left a phone linked to the lookouts in the crows nest rings, dstahl grabs it and hears the words which send a cold chill down his spine... ICE WARNING SW:TOR RIGHT AHEAD....

Sorry all, I think I got a little carried away there....

I like your story about the STO Boat its cool and funny and true and i enjoyed it and thank you !
Lt. Commander
# 224
08-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I love how everyone used to say the sale of Cryptic to Perfect World was going to have a really bad effect on the game, but all of those crazy psychic predictions were cut short, thread locked, and people on the CDF told everyone to leave the devs alone because everything is A-OK and business as usual.

Only now, after the infraction points were handed out and after the threads were locked, all those crazy predictions seem to have had merit. They didn't even have CUPS IN THE KITCHEN!

So I don't know. Players do know a thing or two about the games they play.
To be fair, I think those predictions were regarding the long term of the game, not the short term. Theres no doubt the last 6 months of this game have sucked, although I'm not sure it would have made a difference who Cryptic was being sold to in that regard; that seems to have been a side effect of the sale itself and the transition.

It is what happens from this point going forward that will determine whether those doomsayers about the PW sale were right or not; that is to say whether it helps or hurts the long term future of this game.
Lt. Commander
# 225
08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIABLO691 View Post
I like your story about the STO Boat its cool and funny and true and i enjoyed it and thank you !
My pleasure- I certainly think that behind this overstretched metaphor there are grains of truth as well
Lt. Commander
# 226
08-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Must say, i agree here, When i first got ST:O it was a fun and new experience, now it just seems to be a Constant repetitive thing to get skill points to get new ships to get end game content whichh, pretty much Sucks, OR spend even more money in the C-store for stuff which should be for free! After all, we paid $40ish dollars for the game, and Cryptic is getting $15 a month MORE from us to continue playing, then we need to spend yet MORE money for content from the C-Store. I have even stopped forcing myself to login because its just the same thing every day.

Must say also, I agree with what alot of Trekkies said When ST:O was announced, it will just be a game to drain money off faithful Star Trek Fans and will not deliver on Content, And you know what? So far thats EXACTLY what Star trek online is.
Lt. Commander
# 227
08-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
We're paying customers, and we didn't come up with the last shower of rain.
I'm solving Cryptic's problem there.
Lt. Commander
# 228
08-21-2011, 03:03 PM
....deleted in advanced to prevent any undue misunderstandings and or moderation..
Lt. Commander
# 229
08-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I am extremely unhappy with the Rhode Island situation, but some of the harsh words are not warranted. Cryptic at the rate at which you guys are add new ships to the game you are not only creating problems for yourself but for others too. stop add ships to the game a fix what need fix first and and sort the current ship up with all the things need for those ships before think about adding refits. Always make sure that ships that you plan on selling on your c-store is also obtain in game at the same time when it release to the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 230
08-21-2011, 04:05 PM
....deleted in advanced to prevent any undue misunderstandings and or moderation..