Lt. Commander
# 621
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I wonder if delaying the Borg Invasion a few days is proof that Perfect Worlds is already affecting the game. I get the impression that if STO was still under the thumb of Atari, then we would be defending the Alpha Quadrant from the Borg in its bugged state right now. Tribble has been known for months as a preview server rather than an actual test server where bugs should have been fixed before it reached the Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 622
08-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I was not party to Alpha Testing, but I WAS in the Closed Beta pretty early on, so I've seen everything that's gone on here.

Are things better? In some ways. But in others absolutely nothing has changed.

I stand by my statements. Nearly two years out and many of the same bugs this game shipped with remain intact.

The Story has not been advanced.

There is no true end-game.

This is still a Generic Space Shoot-em-up with Star Trek skins.

PVP is, and always has been, a joke.

This is a MMO done on the cheap, for a quick buck, a CASH COW. Money never was intended to be invested in it to grow the game. It wouldn't be a cash cow if you had to put money in. . .

But hey kids! If you buy stuff on the C-store, your game gets to keep it for development funds, so if you want content, buy the VIRTUAL STAR TREK POOP!

That's what this has felt like. We're willing Rubes. 'Cause if we weren't, we'd probably have something really Star Trek like and less Shoot-em-up like by now.
Lt. Commander
# 623
08-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Naugs
Thanks for the continued response. However, I have to echo a very valid point that has been made and that you did not address in your response: if complete amateurs are able to make fun missions in the Foundry, why have we had such a long content drought? Why havent some of the Dev team, who are all professional game makers, used the internal tools to make us some new missions?

I can understand the situtation with limited resources, Atari, and PW. But again; if amateur players can do it with no "resources", then why havent you guys been able to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Please answer this question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayngo_Fhett
Yes dstahl please answer this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbaby9000 View Post
I would like to hear this answer as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
This question deserves an answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55
They reason they probably wont respond is because there is no valid excuse for not having done it.
While that does seem to be the case, I would still be interested in hearing Dan's explanation.
Lt. Commander
# 624
08-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
While that does seem to be the case, I would still be interested in hearing Dan's explanation.
i think the doff system has taken a considerable amount of effort on their part and its unfortunate delay has made a bad situation seem worse but it is clear that content that should have been here by now has been delayed for some reason.

he did say that they and pw have been working on something that they have yet to tell us about (f2p conversion perhaps?) and will be explained in the next ask cryptic/pw which should answer your question.

so it sounds like you will get an explanation over the next week or two but i would not expect an answer before one of those two reports.
Lt. Commander
# 625
08-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i think the doff system has taken a considerable amount of effort on their part
I dont deny that, nor the other issues with the sale to PW. My question is simply if untrained amateurs with no "funding" are able to make fun missions in a relatively short amount of time, why hasnt the professional Dev team been able to do so in the last 6 months?
Lt. Commander
# 626
08-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
i think the doff system has taken a considerable amount of effort
And if it follows the pattern pretty much everything else has, will still feel half baked, and be chock full of bugs. Yippee.
Lt. Commander
# 627
08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I dont deny that, nor the other issues with the sale to PW. My question is simply if untrained amateurs with no "funding" are able to make fun missions in a relatively short amount of time, why hasnt the professional Dev team been able to do so in the last 6 months?
of course they could have made missions if they wanted to but they have spent their time doing other things. some of which we know, like the doff system, qo'nos update, the acadmy's, ground combat and some we dont know like what dstahl has hinted at.

if the FE series and all the borg stuff was due in july/august then they would have had to start making it in april/may or june time which i believe was the original plan. if things had kept to the plan we would not have an issue as we would currently be playing that content. what ever this project they have been doing coupled with the atari's penny pinching appears to have thrown them way off track.

once we know what it is they were doing then perhaps we will have a clearer idea of why all this stuff is late and we can question why they have not made content or if they made the correct decisions in the schedules.

as for us making mission, the only reason we can make mission with no funding is that the devs spent their funding making these easy to use tools for us in the first place. as good as our mission may be they are very limited compared to the quality and features you see in feature episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 628
08-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
of course they could have made missions if they wanted to but they have spent their time doing other things. some of which we know, like the doff system, qo'nos update, the acadmy's, ground combat and some we dont know like what dstahl has hinted at.

if the FE series and all the borg stuff was due in july/august then they would have had to start making it in april/may or june time which i believe was the original plan. if things had kept to the plan we would not have an issue as we would currently be playing that content. what ever this project they have been doing coupled with the atari's penny pinching appears to have thrown them way off track.

once we know what it is they were doing then perhaps we will have a clearer idea of why all this stuff is late and we can question why they have not made content or if they made the correct decisions in the schedules.

as for us making mission, the only reason we can make mission with no funding is that the devs spent their funding making these easy to use tools for us in the first place. as good as our mission may be they are very limited compared to the quality and features you see in feature episodes.
The problem is they went about it totally wrong. They shouldnt have waited until all of that junk was done to start working on new missions, they should have been doing that all along. Yes, it might have meant a little longer wait for some of the features, but we wouldnt have had to go through such a pathetic content drought while we were waiting.
Lt. Commander
# 629
08-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
as for us making mission, the only reason we can make mission with no funding is that the devs spent their funding making these easy to use tools for us in the first place.
This is an incredibly important point that gets overlooked all the time. Even though I howl for new Mission Content all the time I understand the above.

Cryptic took development time to make the Foundry. Yes, they could have used that time to make 1 or 2 new FEs instead but they felt the potential for thousands of new missions by the fans was more beneficial to the community then 1 or 2 new FEs that would have been played through in 1-2 hours each.

It is the same with the Duty Officer system. The in-game time the players spend picking and adjusting Duty Officer missions is going to be far longer then the time they might spend playing a new Mission in the grand scheem. It is a question of picking which time sink will have the most prolonged impact on the game: Duty Officer system is time spent every day. 1 new mission is time spent once, or maybe a couple of more times on replay, but that is really it.
Lt. Commander
# 630
08-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
This is an incredibly important point that gets overlooked all the time. Even though I howl for new Mission Content all the time I understand the above.

Cryptic took development time to make the Foundry. Yes, they could have used that time to make 1 or 2 new FEs instead but they felt the potential for thousands of new missions by the fans was more beneficial to the community then 1 or 2 new FEs that would have been played through in 1-2 hours each.
Speaking of people overlooking things, you seem to be overlooking the fact that the Foundry has been made since S3. And we are talking about the lack of mission content for the last 6 months. So while it is true that it took time to make the Foundry, that has nothing to do with the recent content drought.