Lt. Commander
# 701
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
*checks the Tier 2 vessels aside from the Rhode Island* Nope.
...I was speaking entirely from a NON-C-Store type of viewpoint...

...and I did say small...
Lt. Commander
# 702
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
...I was speaking entirely from a NON-C-Store type of viewpoint...

...and I did say small...
Still...going from Vox Pupillus to Vox Populi feels odd...does it not?
Lt. Commander
# 703
08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Still...going from Vox Pupillus to Vox Populi feels odd...does it not?
Either way, the little guy on the Promenade, is still apparently apathetic about this...

To bad the Vox Populi of STO doesn't include a larger aggregation of individuals on the forums.

I on the other hand, am totally annoyed.
Lt. Commander
# 704
08-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Here's the way in which I view the new ships coming to STO:

Everybody can get a Honda Accord or Hyundai Elantra to cruise around in. Simple economical 4-dr transportation.

Now the devs are bringing in the Mercedes, or Volvo or Cadillac 4dr sedans and charging a fee for these "fancier" cars.

If you want something fancier with more bells and whistles then you pay for it. If you don't want the bells and whistles you don't have to buy them. If you can't afford the bells and whistles you can still use the less expensive "beige" cars to get around in just as well as the expensive models.
yes, but here is the catch: with the new RI ship, it's like a car that you are allowed to exceed the speed limit with! Now that is not ok!

If it was just fancier, and looked or sounded cooler, it would be ok. But if it's also performing it's basic operations more effectively, it's not ok. In all sports where equipment is used, there are strict regulations to prevent unbalance. Beacuse if someone could just pay to win, people would not be interrested in it!
Lt. Commander
# 705
08-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
yes, but here is the catch: with the new RI ship, it's like a car that you are allowed to exceed the speed limit with! Now that is not ok!

If it was just fancier, and looked or sounded cooler, it would be ok. But if it's also performing it's basic operations more effectively, it's not ok. In all sports where equipment is used, there are strict regulations to prevent unbalance. Beacuse if someone could just pay to win, people would not be interrested in it!
Sports actually pretty pay to win I'm afraid.

Like in premiership football where the rich teams buy the best players. Look what happened to Arsenal when they missed the transfer window this year, gloriously slaughtered 8-2 by United.

And in F1, is the plucky little Lotus ever going to stand a chance taking a McLarren on the straight? Or a Red Bull in a turn? Never. (Not this year anyway...)

I do howvever agree it's uniqueness should be what sets it part, not just being a straight upgrade thus obscoleting it's "base" model so to speak.
Lt. Commander
# 706
08-30-2011, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Sports actually pretty pay to win I'm afraid.

Like in premiership football where the rich teams buy the best players. Look what happened to Arsenal when they missed the transfer window this year, gloriously slaughtered 8-2 by United.
The teams (nor anyone else) does not create these players in a tube.
There are no "player vendors" where you can get your own copy of a good player. If Team A has Player X, Team B can't buy its own Player X.

Players are indivudal, living beings and as that we are okay with them being "unbalanced".
It is the same in STO, really. Some players are better than others. But Cryptic can't sell us Era in the C-Store.

Quote:
And in F1, is the plucky little Lotus ever going to stand a chance taking a McLarren on the straight? Or a Red Bull in a turn? Never. (Not this year anyway...)
F1 is strongly regulated. Basically, the "formula 1" defines a "tier" of cars.
In STO terms: Lotus didn't grind the Very Rare Mark XI Engine Components yet, but they could. No team can buy itself an exemption of the Formula 1 regulations. (Or if they do, we consider it corruption and wrong.)
Lt. Commander
# 707
08-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Actually Mustrum I'd even go so far as to say Lotus has a typical Pveer build, while Redbull, and co have full on High End PvP Team builds. Lotus can't build a chassis worth squat, and has poor equipment choices to go with it.

Basically, the usual suspects, horrible build design, terrible equipment and questionable pilots.
Would the average pveer notice the power of the RI? No. Because they either 1 do not have the necessary experience or 2 let's just be honest they don't have the Skill necessary to get the most out of the RI's boons. Unquestionably the RI is a superior ship to it's T2 counterparts. It's not 'debatable'. It's simple Math. Extra console and extra boff skill is two measurable aspects of superiority.

Also, unless this game becomes highly polished over the next few months I don't see it surviving. This game is rough and shoddy in it's construction with subpar content levels. The only thing it has going is, a very helpful, and friendly pvp community. ("but other mmos started rough too!" you say? Enter RIFT. Rift even in it's beta and being less than six months old is so far above and beyond STO on quality that I can't believe anyone that says this game is comparable to any quality mmo on the market is being honest with themselves or anyone else.

I've played WOW, early wow and cataclysm wow, I've played RIFT, in beta and post release, and I've played this game. Quality is not in this game. And it never will be.
Lt. Commander
# 708
08-30-2011, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Also, unless this game becomes highly polished over the next few months I don't see it surviving. This game is rough and shoddy in it's construction with subpar content levels. The only thing it has going is, a very helpful, and friendly pvp community. ("but other mmos started rough too!" you say? Enter RIFT. Rift even in it's beta and being less than six months old is so far above and beyond STO on quality that I can't believe anyone that says this game is comparable to any quality mmo on the market is being honest with themselves or anyone else.
Every now and then I spend some time in RIFT and since it is not very often, there are always some patch notes to read for me. And they always have one small addition to the game that should have been in STO a long time ago (according to my personal preferences).

There is a lot missing in STO. But it is Star Trek, and it has space ships, and it has a low gear threshold for competitive play. The way into pay-to-win territory could very well ruin this aspect of the game - and then it's only Star Trek and space ships.

Which reminds me: When is Infinite Space due again?
Lt. Commander
# 709
08-30-2011, 06:33 AM
I am not sure, but I do know Beta's going to be soon. I think I might give it a shot. Between it and Sins maybe I can save myself some money each month and get my starship fix there.
Lt. Commander
# 710
08-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Would the average pveer notice the power of the RI?
Ah, but this begs the question. Would a high end PVPer notice the power of the RI? And I think the answere here is also no, because the high end PVPer is flying a tier-5 vessel capable of dispatching both the Nova and the Rhode Island with ease.

All of the sports metaphors floating around miss the obvious. You don't hit the big leagues until level cap, any other PVP is a bunch of kids playing a pick up game at the park.