Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Idea: universal boffs.
08-20-2011, 02:36 AM
I've said before in other threads that I think the retrofit ships are underpowered and could do with an improvement. I had a new idea for that: make their Lt. Cmdr boffs universal, but leave everything else the same about them. Suddenly they become far more versatile, but they lose a big chunk of their primary abilities if you want to use that versatility.

I reject any responses such as:

"No."
"No. Just no."
"No thankyou"


Unless the people making them explain why.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Do you mean universal boff slots or universal boffs?

Because the former has been an anti-KDF thing for the Feds to have them because it completly removes a unique thing about them and to play the KDF (that and carriers). The other reason is that some of the ships that COULD have universal slots will be waaayyyy overpowered, hence why the Feds only have the Nebula slots.

The latter is a debatable subject for pretty much the same reason as the former, KDF's would not be happy I think. Since the Bird of Prey is the only type of ship in-game with universal slots only, having universal boffs that you can assign to anywhere despite having a career specific boff slot, can be conceived as overpowered.

Basically it comes down to two things:- KDF's would have outcry about it as it will remove a reason to play as them and simply overpowering Fed ships.

On KDF side of things, the universal boff would not be any help as they already have the Bird of Prey, so it would be a major advantage to the Feds.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-20-2011, 03:44 AM
"Executive Officer" will provide a Commander Universal BOFF slot for everyone... job done. I would not want to see more than that introduced, because the klingons would end up seeing their uniqness damaged as a result, and it would change the game balance... for not much differnce... speaking as a fed captain who flies escorts making an ensign slot universal would give me more optoins personally.. but would still be a bad idea froma game play an balance pov
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-20-2011, 06:55 AM
My point was change the Lt. Cmdr boff slot for all retrofit ships on both sides from the primary focus (eng for cruiser, tac for escort, etc) into a universal slot. Using an escort for example:

Cmdr Tactical
Lt. Cmdr Universal
Ensign Tactical
Lieutenant Engineer
Lieutenant Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooiue View Post
Basically it comes down to two things:- KDF's would have outcry about it as it will remove a reason to play as them and simply overpowering Fed ships.

On KDF side of things, the universal boff would not be any help as they already have the Bird of Prey, so it would be a major advantage to the Feds.
I was suggesting it for Klink retrofit ships too like the Vor'cha. But what you're saying is that even with that benefit, the Klinks wouldn't get anything useful out of it, like say... a Vor'cha that could use a universal Lt.Cmdr which you could fit a science officer into? Or a raptor variant with a Lt.Cmdr engineer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingbadger View Post
"Executive Officer" will provide a Commander Universal BOFF slot for everyone... job done.
According to Cryptic, an executive officer will have one special power only - completely separate from the ordinary boff stations on a ship. That special power won't be like an ordinary boff power anyway. So your point is invalid.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I don't know if something this extreme should be implemented, but i'd definitely want to see more versatility in boff layouts at t5.

either way, I don't think it damages klingong "uniqueness" at all, considering there are already several fed ships with universal slots.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
It's not a new idea and even when it was new it wasn't very good.

It becomes a balancing nightmare. It would be interesting if ship statistics were determined by bridge officer slots but we aren't that advanced. Universal slots require really careful balance considerations, including significant give and take. It's not merely a matter of maintaining factional uniqueness.

It would be much more interesting to see a greater variety of ships with hybrid Commander and Lt. Commander slots that are fixed (not universal) so that the ship itself could be adjusted to determine the most appropriate balance. It is important to consider every aspect of the ship from shields and hull to weapons and maneuverability.

The refit ships are actually still quite good (especially the MVAE and Intrepid) and when they eventually convert the special powers into consoles they'll be even better (and more versatile).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I believe this idea would be viable and is an rather interesting approach.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
08-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooiue View Post
Do you mean universal boff slots or universal boffs?

Because the former has been an anti-KDF thing for the Feds to have them because it completly removes a unique thing about them and to play the KDF (that and carriers). The other reason is that some of the ships that COULD have universal slots will be waaayyyy overpowered, hence why the Feds only have the Nebula slots.

The latter is a debatable subject for pretty much the same reason as the former, KDF's would not be happy I think. Since the Bird of Prey is the only type of ship in-game with universal slots only, having universal boffs that you can assign to anywhere despite having a career specific boff slot, can be conceived as overpowered.

Basically it comes down to two things:- KDF's would have outcry about it as it will remove a reason to play as them and simply overpowering Fed ships.

On KDF side of things, the universal boff would not be any help as they already have the Bird of Prey, so it would be a major advantage to the Feds.
agreed ^
i couldnt have worded it better!

universal slots on any fed ship essentially makes it a Bird with more hul, more weapons, more consols slots, more BO slots, and no cloak....

NO THANKS!

even if its only one slot, the lt commander slot, almost all BoP builds have the commander one type, the lt commander another type, and the lt's a third type... which is essentially what fed ships would have!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
08-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rek View Post
even if its only one slot, the lt commander slot, almost all BoP builds have the commander one type, the lt commander another type, and the lt's a third type... which is essentially what fed ships would have!
I did say Klink ships could have this too like the Vor'cha and a raptor variant. Some people never read before they post, do they?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Forgotten-Nemesis,

I like this idea a lot. (And yea, some people who replied to you failed to fully grasp what you were saying. Hate that.)

In regard to people saying that it removes the uniqueness of the klingon faction: As i see it, this is only true to such a small degree that it is virtually insignificant. In terms of what makes them unique, Klingons have a variety of other ships besides the BoP, they have their own story content and events (limited, true, but more is being added all the time), they have cloaking installed standard on most ships, and a variety of other things. In addition, every BoP has Battle Cloaking (and the B'rel has Enhanced Battle Cloaking), and i feel that this is what truly makes the BoP unique.

I've been around since beta, i actively play both sides, and i've played every class of ship, and from my perspective, the BoP universal slots were tantamount to a consolation prize for the lack of klingon content present at launch. Nevertheless, i've never felt that the versatility afforded by the 4-universal slot layout of the BoP is something that should be owned by one faction or another.

In regard to balance issues: Ships are balanced against each other by the stats that define each of the types more than any other factor. (For example, hull, shield multiplier, turn rate, etc.) After that, innate ship abilities based on class are considered (such as fed sci ships having subsystem targeting). After that, consideration is given to slot layout.

I think it would be very cool if they implemented your idea, Forgotten-Nemesis.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.